Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Show Returns
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I saw a quick ad that said the original "Law and Order" is coming back.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Degrassi was a popular Canadian teen show than was shown on PBS here in the States in the late 80s and early 90s. My generation remembers it well. The 2001-2017 version, which had some of the original cast and their kids on it, at least for the first 5-6 years, was shown in the U.S. on various cable networks like Noggin, Nick, Netflix, etc. Here is the history of the show

https://www.degrassi.tv/

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Where the heck was I? Granted I'm long passed the age group, but not only did I never hear of this series, looking it up I can't even find an actor from any year that I recognize. Didn't know Canada was on another planet. Big Grin

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And now it looks like it is confirmed that "Quantum Leap" is returning.

Not with Dean Stockwell, who died last year.

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Didn't realize until now that they brought back The Wonder Years but from the perspective of an African American family. Just saw on the news that Fred Savage was the producer/ director and they fired him for inappropriate behavior

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

Not with Dean Stockwell, who died last year.

His return would indeed be a quantum leap.

The FX series "Justified" (with Timothy Olyphant as a modern day deputy US Marshal with an Old West sense of justice) just announced some new cast members and plot points and is shaping up nicely for its return, likely early next year.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw on the internet that NBC has given the green light to a full season of Quantum Leap. It appears that unlike the original show which was just Sam and Al, this time it's a team of men and woman led by an Asian American male

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

It did and it may be on its way out already. Two shows in and it lost over a million viewers from the 3.3M of its debut. I watched the first ten minutes of the first show and turned it off. It wasn't that I was comparing it to the original because I rarely watched Quantum Leap and barely remember it.

It was that right from the start the characters were talking nonsense without any introduction to the nonsense. Instead of coming in at the beginning and getting acquainted with the story, it was like arriving in the middle of a movie where you have no idea what already happened. You are supposed to stick around to find out, but the nonsense didn't sound that interesting and the acting was bad.

It didn't seem worth my time to try to figure it out. Guess I wasn't the only one who thought so.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I read someplace that on the new Quantum Leap, NBC decided to make the Pilot episode the 4th or 5th episode and to air one of the later episodes first as it allegedly had more action.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read someplace that on the new Quantum Leap, NBC decided to make the Pilot episode the 4th or 5th episode and to air one of the later episodes first as it allegedly had more action.

I hadn't heard that, but I know a show that got ruined for that very same reason. "The Dresden Files" made all of 12 episodes on the SciFi channel in 2007. They had a production problem and instead of starting with the two-hour pilot, they started with episode 3. Viewers who hadn't read the books didn't know what they were watching and viewers who did read the books were still lost because it wasn't following the books. By the time the continuity started to come together in the middle, a lot of people tuned out.

There is a complete series DVD of "The Dresden Files" with a re-edited pilot. It was a flawed series to be sure, but worth watching and good enough to have run longer. I've gone back a few times to see the whole thing again. If SciFi had done it right from the beginning, maybe the audience would have stuck around.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hm, having seen the first two episodes that seems a little unlikely. Unless the pilot just dropped people in with no explanation as to what was going on of course Smile

This is a sequel as well as being a reboot. It does appear to assume people watching have seen at least some of the original series. However, I have to agree with Raven about it looking to have a very short future. It lacks a lot of the feeling of the original in which each episode focused on Sam solving the latest mistake that needed to be put right with Al providing hints and clues. In the new version, at least half the time you are with the team back at base running the project. This means there isn't enough time to get involved with the latest storyline as there is just too much going on.

If it does get canned, I do hope they wrap up the main plot. Not exactly a spoiler but that would be the reason Ben, the main character, made his leap in the first place.

There are a number of things they have got wrong so far but my biggest complaint is they seem to have misplaced the original theme tune. I'm not even too sure it has one this time around.

On a positive note, it has been easier to watch than the new Game of Thrones prequel and the Lord of the Rings prequel. Now those really are hard work Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of the complaints about the new Quantum Leap is that they focus too much on the team back home instead of the lead.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know this is obscure but on the old syndicated Superboy TV show from back in 1989, the Pilot episode was aired as the 5th episode, I believe. So when you watch the show the way it was broadcast, it just jumps right into it. And on the 5th episode the characters are introduced in such a way that it is obvious the shows are out of order

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
On a positive note, it has been easier to watch than the new Game of Thrones prequel and the Lord of the Rings prequel. Now those really are hard work Smile

Yeah, I hear you. I haven't started either one of those because it's not entertainment for me anymore. It's a commitment that sucks you in for the long haul and then disappoints. Big Grin

All the Marvel and Star Wars and Star Trek shows are like that too now. Either you get in from beginning till end, or you pass it up because you can't watch only some episodes and still know what's going on. I'm sick of watching all 9 seasons of a show that had 3 good years at the outset. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just checked on line and yes, the Quamtum Leap pilot will air as the sixth episode. Hopefully it won't be canceled before then. I see that the actress who played Al's wife on the original show was just on the second episode. And Al's daughter is now the hologram helping Dr.Song

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Geez, five episodes in before airing the pilot? Can't see how that isn't a mistake unless the pilot was terrible, in which case it should just be scrapped as an episode.

The original QL was a long time ago. All this homage stuff adds nothing if only a small percentage of the current viewers even gets it. They should have started with a clean slate and an understandable introduction in my opinion.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just checked on line and yes, the Quamtum Leap pilot will air as the sixth episode. Hopefully it won't be canceled before then. I see that the actress who played Al's wife on the original show was just on the second episode. And Al's daughter is now the hologram helping Dr.Song
No, she isn't. I don't want to throw out any serious spoilers for those who have not yet seen the first two episodes, but the 'new' hologram is the new traveller's fiance. Al's daughter is part of the story but she is not part of the Quantum Leap Project team..and she definitely is not the new hologram helping Doctor Song. Watch the show if you want to know exactly how it all fits together Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
While I stand by what I posted before...episode three had an interesting final shot Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
NBC announced that Season 1 of "Quantum Leap" has been expanded from 12 to 18 episodes, so the network ordered 6 more.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw on the news yesterday that HBO Max decided NOT to bring "Degrassi" back, after all. They pulled the plug on the revival before they even started.

As mentioned, the original Canadian show that most of us remember ran from 1987 to 1991, with the finale being a 1992 TV film. It was shown on PBS here in the states.

"The Next Generation" aka "The Next Class" then ran on various cable networks from 2001 to 2017, with alot of people from the original show on it for the first 5 or so years, now as adults.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Quantum Leap is being put on a 2 month hiatus until January.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post