Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Show Returns
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A Buffy the Vampire Slayer return has been talked about several times over the years. FOX is waiting for Joss Whedon to OK it. I think if he gives approval they will put something on. Considering what is on FOX now, what much could they lose?

Whether they would try to bring back the original cast and maybe add a younger generation, or go to a straight reboot, I don't know. Given what most of the original actors are doing these days, I don't believe you would have too many hold outs if they were offered another series. Only David Boreanaz has a current series commitment that I am aware of, the rest are active, but hardly overworked.

I wouldn't mind seeing what they could come up with. What's the harm? But I don't think its a serious project yet.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
SMG essentially said in an interview, in response to the news, that "Buffy" was meant to be about teenagers, and that the actors are probably too old now.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now they're bringing back "Mad About You", the 1992-1999 sit-com with Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Now they're bringing back "Mad About You", the 1992-1999 sit-com with Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser

That show was annoying 20 years ago. I can't wait. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Neither Reiser nor Hunt did alot after the show ended.

Paul Reiser went on to do cartoon voice work in the 2000s, and short lived cable TV shows "Married" and "Red Oaks", neither of which I personally ever heard of

As for Helen Hunt, she did movies such as "Cast Away" and "What Women Want", both back in the year 2000, but aside from that, things have been quiet for her, for 15 years plus.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They made a lot of money from their Mad About You days and from its rerun syndication. Not sure how hard Reiser tried to do anything else when he probably didn't need to. He was showing up at Aliens reunions a couple of years ago.

Hunt won a Best Actress for As Goods As It Gets while still doing Mad About You. I think it went to her head at the time and she became very selective, read that difficult to industry insiders. She also wanted to produce and direct. For whatever reason, she hasn't done too much in the last 15 years as you said. I think she may also live at least part time in Hawaii now. However she is still in her early 50's, so if she's coming back now would be the time.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree with you 100 %.

It appears that both Hunt and Reiser did alot more BEFORE and during "Mad About You" than afterwards.

In the 1980s, Reiser was in movies like DINER, ALIENS, the first 2 Beverly Hills Cop films, and the TV show "My Two Dads" which ran for 3 years

Hunt did alot of TV work in the 1970s and 80s. I remember seeing her on a 1985 episode of "Highway to Heaven" with Michael Landon.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now they're saying that "Last Man Standing", the popular Tim Allen sit-com that was unexpectedly cancelled by ABC in 2017, may be back on FOX in the upcoming season.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Brooklyn 99" was cancelled by FOX last week, but now they're saying that it is confirmed as moving to NBC.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So Roseanne managed to be the biggest returning show and the biggest show cancellation, all in the same year.

You can't make this stuff up.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think this is a first for TV.

Never in the history of the medium (to my knowledge), has the # 1 highest rated show on TV been cancelled like this.

Other # 1 shows ended because the cast decided to call it quits (I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, Andy Griffith Show, etc) but NOT because the network pulled the plug

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
A Buffy the Vampire Slayer return has been talked about several times over the years.

Given the Charmed re-boot with the weak plotline, I cringe at the thought of a Buffy re-boot. I don't even know what direction they could take it in.

You're right about the cast not being 'over worked' but given then financial security and many have kids now, would they want to give up so much time to another 16 hours, 6 days a week gig? They don't need the money. The original show's a classic and they probably have family routines and other commitments they want to give their time and focus to.

Perhaps another spin-off from the Buffy verse like they did with Angel would work better. Perhaps one of the lesser known characters who had potential to be 'fleshed out'? A whole new story in the Buffy multi-verse.

Certainly don't do what they did with Charmed hiring a comedy sitcom writer to have 'a crack' at it.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think this is a first for TV.

Never in the history of the medium (to my knowledge), has the # 1 highest rated show on TV been cancelled like this.

Other # 1 shows ended because the cast decided to call it quits (I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, Andy Griffith Show, etc) but NOT because the network pulled the plug

Good point. I love The Big Bang Theory but I feel that's over staying its welcome and will try to keep going until its cancelled. Instead of other shows where they plan the ending and bow out gracefully accepting TV and times have moved on.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Roseanne like Will and Grace was lucky to make a comeback considering the length of time its been off air and how times have changed.

Shame Roseanne screwed up a good thing for everyone involved in the show. Shake Head Infuriating. Mad

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that the Roseanne cast will never work with her again, considering how it cost hundreds of folks their jobs

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure that the Roseanne cast will never work with her again, considering how it cost hundreds of folks their jobs

There won't be any opportunity to decline, this is a career killer for Barr as far as TV goes. Even cable won't touch her. Not talking about anything else, her behavior cost them millions in advertising revenue, and that is something none of them will forget or forgive.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know it's highly unlikely, but didn't Paula Deen make somewhat of a comeback after her "incident" ? As did Mel Gibson

But so far, not Michael Richards

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know it's highly unlikely, but didn't Paula Deen make somewhat of a comeback after her "incident" ? As did Mel Gibson

But so far, not Michael Richards

Yes they did, both Deen and Gibson made excuses and amends enough. Deen never did lose her restaurants and Gibson is doing movies again. Richards was doing stand up at the time, I really don't know if he is back in clubs. Kathy Griffin has doubled down and is now booking comedy shows too. But all those people really got themselves in trouble more than anyone else.

Barr cost the network a fortune and that is different. She might still be able to do stand up sometime, somewhere, but TV execs will never put her on a show again, in any role. She made them look stupid for trusting that she had changed from the chaos of the original Roseanne and took away millions from them in having to cancel the highest rated show on TV.

Its big money, she isn't coming back.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
But now there is the possibility that some sort of Roseanne show will come back, although not called Roseanne of course.

The network is talking to Gilbert and Goodman about keeping some version of the Connor family on the air. Early reports say they are agreeable. Why wouldn't they be? The network has to pay the whole cast for the next 13 episodes anyway, whether they work or not. But if they got a full season, its a ton more cash for them.

No idea how the series fans would feel about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get to find out. Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Roseanne was before my time (just about) but when I watched later episodes and re-runs Jackie was the best. I'm all for this happening: