Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Summer 2015 Hits and Misses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer 2015 Hits and Misses
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Basing it on the amount of money made, versus the budgets

HITS

JURASSIC WORLD
AVENGERS
MAD MAX
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE
ANT MAN

MISSES-- Didn't make money, or just broke even

TOMORROW LAND
PIXELS
TERMINATOR (although is doing well overseas)
TED 2

Posts: 4011 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A big loser that no one seemed to have even noticed was Jupiter Ascending. It cost a lot of money to make and did very badly. I didn't see it, so I can't say what happened, but it had a good cast.

Also Seventh Son did not do well. I think the studio had no confidence because it was basically dumped into theatres.

Posts: 10411 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I did see Jupiter Ascending... terrible!

Seventh Son was also not that good.

I've seen every movie, but Ant Man..... all decent movies in my book Smile

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
There was another Mission Impossible made?
I did not know this.

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
A big loser that no one seemed to have even noticed was Jupiter Ascending. It cost a lot of money to make and did very badly. I didn't see it, so I can't say what happened, but it had a good cast.

Also Seventh Son did not do well. I think the studio had no confidence because it was basically dumped into theatres.

Those both came out back in Feb. or so, not in the summer which is what this thread is about. Wink

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Those both came out back in Feb. or so, not in the summer which is what this thread is about. Wink

Good point, I stand corrected. Wink

But since summer isn't over yet, should we even be talking about this yet? Big Grin

Posts: 10411 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[quote]I did not know this.

Miss Lizzy, yes, Mission Impossible 5 just opened last weekend !

Posts: 4011 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I heard Trainwreak is doing well.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, Fantastic Four did poorly, only about 26M

And the remake of the Chevy Chase "Vacation" film, also didn't do well

Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
When I saw the ad for the new Vacation movie, I was not really impressed with it, just like the new Terminator movie! How many times can Terminator keep coming back?

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Add The Man From U.N.C.L.E. to the list of big budget failures. It just came in 4th on the opening weekend.

A small independent movie that seems to be pulling in good box office as compared to it's cost is The Gift.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
This summer, we saw and liked:
Avengers Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Trainwreck
Ted 2

saw and thought they were only so-so:
Jurassic World
Tomorrowland

I plan to see a lot of the others when they come out on DVD

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know this is not sci-fi like the rest, but Straight Outta Compton is the surprise hit of the summer, grossing 56 M

More than twice what Fantastic Four made

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Mission Impossible is doing well, almost 400 M worldwide

But the 1st, 2nd and 4th films did better

This one's doing better than the 3rd

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Surely some of these movies would not be classed as "misses" until there has been a worldwide release, the worldwide gross has been published and they're no longer at the cinema. Some "hits" in the USA may not garner any interest anywhere else.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Surely some of these movies would not be classed as "misses" until there has been a worldwide release, the worldwide gross has been published and they're no longer at the cinema. Some "hits" in the USA may not garner any interest anywhere else.

The industry trade papers make the determination as soon as the film debuts in the major markets, especially in the US. The studio accountants have probably charted the whole thing out long before and have an idea of what the box office range should be in the opening weekend. If it garners more or less than expected, it is immediately labeled as a hit or miss.

The thing is, many of these "miss" movies will wind up making millions and millions of dollars before it's over, but the cost of production may not be recovered because they were so very expensive to make. That's why a cheap movie like The Gift can be called a hit even though it doesn't pull in anywhere near the money of The Fantastic Four, which has bombed by industry standards.

Your point about foreign markets is very valid. Some US movies just don't relate to UK audiences and some UK hits don't do well with American audiences either. But again the bean counters kind of factor these things in when predicting the numbers. Block busters like Mission Impossible and Jurassic World will do well all over.

None of which means anything about the film itself of course. I think Jurassic World should be the top grosser this year and I saw it and would not recommend it for anything but the air conditioning. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I know this is not sci-fi like the rest, but Straight Outta Compton is the surprise hit of the summer, grossing 56 M

More than twice what Fantastic Four made

Maybe they should reboot the "Fantastic Four" starring the five main actors from "Straight Outta Compton". (One of them would play Dr. Doom).

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Also, it's very hard to label anything a hit or a miss

Mission Impossible has made 140 M in the US so far. That's good, but not hugely impressive. However, it's made 400 M worldwide. I think the last one made 700 M

Tomorrowland made about 200 M, but it cost 190 M to make, supposedly

Posts: 4719 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post