Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018 Movie Misses
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Guess I will start it off.

A WRINKLE IN TIME. 103 M budget. So far, only has grossed 48 M worldwide-- not very good.

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I want to say I thought A WRINKLE IN TIME (in 3D yet), sucked, but I am too polite to do so.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Even the TV ads sucked. The make up and costumes on Oprah, Reese and Mindy alone were enough to "say what the heck is that supposed to be"?

Curious to see what Player One does. It looks like Tron back in the day.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It has a rating of 4.2 on the IMDB.

Who would pay money to go see Oprah in a movie ? She's a talk show host.

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"With a combined $250 million spent on production and advertisement, the film will need to gross at least $400 million worldwide to turn a profit."

An ominous sign !

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That was my fault. I had no idea who was in the movie when I went to see it. The costumes were horrible, the makeup was horrible, the plot was, literally, childish, the acting was very sub-par, and not one character had even an ounce of charisma.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like TOMB RAIDER also failed to excite.

Only 23 M over the weekend. Not impressive.

WRINKLE IN TIME-- only 71 M worldwide so far. Very poor showing.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tommy C:
Looks like TOMB RAIDER also failed to excite.
/QUOTE]

To be honest, and again only going by the trailers and the TV ads, the new Tomb Raider doesn't look all that much different from the previous Tomb Raiders. Apart from having a much younger Angelina Jolie as the lead character, the two prior TR movies were not all that good themselves.

If a female action hero is the only thing they wanted, they would have done better to create a brand new one than try to reboot a film that didn't warrant it in MHO.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Like many 2017 action films, Tomb Raider seems to be doing better internationally

Has made 105 M overseas, but only 28 M here

Still, it cost at least 100 M to make...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Other films not doing that well--

Bruce Willis' remake of DEATH WISH. So far it has grossed 32 M, but it cost 30 M to make

The animated SHERLOCK GNOMES. Has grossed 11 M so far. Budget-- nearly 60 M.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Too bad about the DEATH WISH remake, I loved it.

As for SHERLOCK GNOMES, it's one of the few trailers I watched, and you'd you have to pay ME to go see that movie.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Re: Sherlock Gnomes

Surprisingly, the first one, GNOMEO AND JULIET back in 2011, was a big hit. Grossed almost 200 M. This one is the sequel.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Pacific Rim Uprising. 150 M to make, only 55 M at the U.S. box office so far.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
PACIFIC RIM UPRISING was not a very good movie.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In 2017, 33 films grossed more than 100 M domestically; 13 of them made more than 200 M.

So far in 2018, only 4 have cracked 100 M-- Black Panther, Peter Rabbit, Ready Player One, and the third Fifty Shades movie.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Amy Schumer's "I Feel Pretty"

Cost 32 M to make, hasn't even broken even.

Her last film, "Snatched" (2017) wasn't a big hit, either.

Perhaps her ship has sailed.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
You'd have to pay ME to go see I FEEL PRETTY, and then I'd sneak out the EXIT.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Amy Schumer's "I Feel Pretty"

Cost 32 M to make, hasn't even broken even.

Her last film, "Snatched" (2017) wasn't a big hit, either.

Perhaps her ship has sailed.

Schumer has been a one-trick pony so far. I would liken her to Lena Dunham in the sense of how fast they caught on and how fast they are turning off. I would say that Schumer has more talent than Dunham, but she can't carry a film by herself and she can't keep playing the same part. Pretty is not doing well because it has a foolish premise and its just not that funny, same as Snatched.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
RED SPARROW with Jennifer Lawrence

69 M to make, has grossed only 46 M so far domestically.

Admittedly, it's made 148 M worldwide