Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Spider-Man (2002) Controversy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spider-Man (2002) Controversy
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Just about all modern films will have cuts if broadcast on ITV in the afternoon. Spider-man 2002 was a controversial film when it was released in the UK, leading to the '12' certification (no under 12's allowed) changing to '12A' (under 12's allowed in only with a parent/guardian).

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Films and TV shows can often be viewed as snapshots in time and history. Things that may have been accepted in the period of creation, may be regarded as offensive or deceptive now. Especially when it comes to comedy, many subjects aren't that funny anymore.

Broadcast TV stations don't want viewer complaints. Scenes have always been edited for sex and violence and words bleeped out. Sometimes it's just to fit into the timeslot.

Getting into the broader issue of censorship v. freedom of speech is the real controversy. That's a minefield to just try to rationally discuss, even before the ham-fisted, agenda driven legislators weigh in. It's shades of gray and nobody can seem to agree on anything. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was surprised that about 15 years ago, the local NY channel 9 (free TV, not cable) broadcast "Goodfellas" and somehow they censored all of the F words. They didn't bleep them out, they just somehow used alternate dialogue throughout.

And yet they left the "N" word in the one scene, uncensored, which surprised me.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I was surprised that about 15 years ago, the local NY channel 9 (free TV, not cable) broadcast "Goodfellas" and somehow they censored all of the F words. They didn't bleep them out, they just somehow used alternate dialogue throughout.

And yet they left the "N" word in the one scene, uncensored, which surprised me.
Don't forget, most sound tracks are rerecorded so that the vocals are clear. What you hear is rarely the original speech on location or on the studio set. So its no big deal to do more than one version one with the original words another with a lower rated version. That provides the option for things like 'family friendly' in-flight versions of films that would otherwise be unsuitable due to the swearing.

Think about films like Star Wars. None of Darth Vaders dialogue was live Smile Likewise, in films made by Ray Harryhausen, some of the main cast were overdubbed by different actors as their normal accents were not deemed suitable, e.g. in Jason and the Argonauts Medea played by Nancy Kovack was dubbed by Eva Haddon while Jason played by Todd Armstrong was dubbed by Tim Turner. Special effects on screen aren't just limited to what you can see Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't know what goes on in other countries, but in the United States there are almost no "curse" words that can't be said on public nighttime TV shows. I can think of only two that aren't casually thrown in here and there, especially in sitcoms. And one of those is apparently not considered bad at all in the UK and Australia, while it is absolutely taboo here.

It's another set of more descriptive words that have fallen out of favor and can't be used anymore. Most of that is quite right. Some offenses are more specific than just looking for a PG rating, but things are not given the same weight with everyone and in that lies the conflict. It's a thorny subject with no hope of a universal consensus.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

The best example of this I've ever run across was Scarface. Al Pacino's character, Tony Montana, has a line about Miami: "This town is one big p***y waiting to get f**ked". The broadcast version was "This town is one big chicken waiting to get plucked."

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My 8 year old son discovered the 1980s "Real Ghostbusters" cartoon and he keeps asking to see the original, 1984 Bill Murray movie.

However, if you buy the DVD or stream it, there is some profanity in it (Peter saying that Walter Peck has no d---), along with a few questionable scenes. (I am not talking about scary stuff)

I recall taping it off of TV in the 80s when those elements were edited out, but I guess there is no way to get the censored version, or is there ?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are subscription services out there that edit movies.

https://www.vidangel.com/

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I don't know what goes on in other countries, but in the United States there are almost no "curse" words that can't be said on public nighttime TV shows. I can think of only two that aren't casually thrown in here and there, especially in sitcoms. And one of those is apparently not considered bad at all in the UK and Australia, while it is absolutely taboo here.

Here in the UK we have the long established '9 O'clock Watershed'. Prior to 9pm in the evening, swear words and profanities are not allowed so they get bleeped or edited out. After that time, pretty much anything goes, at least in films and dramas. However, drop the F-bomb on a live news broadcast and there will be bleeps and apologies from the presenters. Chat shows, not so much Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post