Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Disney confirms plans for Han Solo spin-off movie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disney confirms plans for Han Solo spin-off movie
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted
Han Solo Spin-off Movie

Disney confirms plans for Han Solo spin-off movie...

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well I know that Star Wars has fans that will go for anything related, so there really is no sense in trying to question anything about it. Of course I only liked two out of the six movies released, so I don't have to hold ranks. Wink

First problem, Han Solo is Harrison Ford. I would not like any younger actor playing the part and I don't think fans would be that accepting of it either.

Second problem, we have seen the best of Solo's story in the first three films and he will have more in at least the next one coming. What's left of a plot for a space pirate that wasn't done in Firefly or Guardians of the Galaxy?

This really seems like an unnecessary cash grab, but like I said, I know I'm not the target viewer. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Well, can't get River like they did for young Indy, so they should just go for Joaquin.

If not him, I'd go with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He's already had that great moment in "500 Days of Summer" when he looks in a mirror and sees Harrison Ford as Han Solo smiling back at him.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I've always liked JGL, a good actor who has not stopped working since he was a child star. I always expected him to become a big leading man, but he has instead done a lot of smaller, more artistic projects. He's in his mid-thirties now, so that may already be too old for a young Solo and his career choices don't really go that way yet. I still hope he does something that puts him over the top.

I think they will look for an unknown face if they do this movie.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So now comes word from Disney that, in addition to the Solo film we know is in production, they intend to do an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie. At least its in its early stages of development.

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this is beyond comprehension. How about a young R2-D2 movie? Certainly there must have been adventures at the robot factory when he was just a little screw! Razz

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
If you've been paying attention to fan reaction on the internet since the announcement of the Han Solo film, you would have seen a LOT of people saying that they wanted to see an Obi Wan film set between episodes 3 & 4 starring Ewan McGregor and clearly Disney has been listening.

I don't have a problem with them exploring adventures in the past, I just don't know what they think this film would be. During this time, Obi Wan was hiding out in the desert and keeping an eye on Luke. He couldn't do anything that would draw attention to himself or Luke, so what exactly would the plot of this film be? Obi Wan smacking around a few Tuskens? Negotiating deals with Jawas? Meditating in his little hut?

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
It's implied that Obi Wan had a run in with Darth Vader at some point. He left Anakin for dead, yet he knows who Vader is.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
It's implied that Obi Wan had a run in with Darth Vader at some point. He left Anakin for dead, yet he knows who Vader is.

Yes, in trying to think back I can't remember any specific reference made as to how Obi-Wan knew Anakin was Vader. However it may have been a press leak from a disgruntled Storm Trooper. Or it could have been a lucky guess. Big Grin

Does someone need another movie to answer that question? It could be answered in a throw away line from Luke in the next film if necessary. "Oh yeah, I found out 10 years ago that Obi-Wan knew Vader was my father because . . . ".

And no, I haven't been paying attention to fan reaction because I don't frequent Star Wars forums. So maybe I just don't get it and I think I will leave it alone and just accept the fact that Star Wars' films will go on to infinity and beyond.

Oh wait, that's a different Disney universe. Wink

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
The explanation is much simpler than that. In Revenge of the Sith, Obi Wan and Yoda learn that Palpatine is a Sith Lord and that Anakin has joined him. Obi Wan then confronts and battles Anakin leaving him for dead. Shortly thereafter, Palpatine is seen with a tall Sith Lord wearing a life support suit. It isn't much of a leap to figure out that Anakin is the guy in the suit.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
In Revenge of the Sith...

When Yoda and Obi were at the Jedi Temple, Obi saw a hologram of Anakin slaughtering the Jedi that were there...

Then it shows Anakin kneeling before Darth Sidious and Sidious says... "Now Lord Vader bring peace to the empire"

So Obi saw this and I would assume he put two and two together and figured out later on that Anakin survived and the guy in the black suit named Lord Vader was Anakin since that is what Sidious called him before his transformation.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Also, Yoda and Obi-Wan would realize though the Force that Anakin had not died. They would have felt it and they would know who's in the life support suit the same way.

quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
In Revenge of the Sith...

When Yoda and Obi were at the Jedi Temple, Obi saw a hologram of Anakin slaughtering the Jedi that were there...

Then it shows Anakin kneeling before Darth Sidious and Sidious says... "Now Lord Vader bring peace to the empire"

So Obi saw this and I would assume he put two and two together and figured out later on that Anakin survived and the guy in the black suit named Lord Vader was Anakin since that is what Sidious called him before his transformation.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was a novel, "Kenobi," published in 2013, which was a story that took place soon after the events of "Revenge of the Sith." It might have sold pretty well so Disney got interested in a script about that interval between trilogies.

quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
If you've been paying attention to fan reaction on the internet since the announcement of the Han Solo film, you would have seen a LOT of people saying that they wanted to see an Obi Wan film set between episodes 3 & 4 starring Ewan McGregor and clearly Disney has been listening.

I don't have a problem with them exploring adventures in the past, I just don't know what they think this film would be. During this time, Obi Wan was hiding out in the desert and keeping an eye on Luke. He couldn't do anything that would draw attention to himself or Luke, so what exactly would the plot of this film be? Obi Wan smacking around a few Tuskens? Negotiating deals with Jawas? Meditating in his little hut?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It now has an official title

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post