Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Tom Holland is the New Spider-Man
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Holland is the New Spider-Man
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted
Tom Holland is the New Spider-Man

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I looked him up and Tom Holland is English. He's 19 and looks about 16. Apparently the producers want the high school years and feel he could play Spidey for a long time to come.

So is this supposed to be a prequel of sorts before the first three films? I just think that they have thrown out the timeline and surely this can't be a reboot of what has already had a reboot.

We have had 5 movies and 2 Spiderman and we are still going back to the beginning? I don't get it and I don't see why anyone should care anymore. The reboot faded away as it was. They need to move on with the story or get Spiderman a part in someone else's movie.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
It's not a prequel - it's going to be independent of the past two series'. From my understanding part of what Sony wanted with the Amazing Spider-Man reboot was to put Peter back into his high school days and have more high school based teenage antics, which from a demographic point of view is fairly desirable, but from reports of what was contained in the leaked internal Sony emails, various Sony execs or whomever couldn't get the hang around why the sequel started off with a graduation ceremony as just one of the movie's various criticisms.

So I think it's more in light of that the new series will put him firmly back in high school and keep him there, and as a result of the previous two series', there won't be an origin story on the basis that the audience pretty much all know it by now, and will kick off with him already in spidey mode and save us some time (I mean, Uncle Ben appeared in all 5 of the other movies and seems a bit overkill no matter how important he was to the origin) I wouldn't call it 'back to the beginning' so much as a means of bringing a properly teenage character into the fold adding a new level of diversity in the MCU (foregoing the Iron Man 3 level of shoe-horning) and bringing Sony's good but unrealised intentions into fruition - Spider-Man is far too much of a major player in Marvel's catalogue of characters to sideline.

That said, personally no, I'm not that fussed on the character and never have been, but everything they're doing makes sense and Spider-Man has always been a high grosser. The qualities of the 2002 Spider-Man that gave it so much success just aren't viable in a time where audiences are accustomed to a shared universe and the plans Sony had for its other spin-offs sounded terrible and grasping at straws - this definitely looks from a story-telling point of view to be the best option for Sony and the wealth of the MCU opens up so many opportunities - personally I hope that Tom Holland won't have so much of a moviestar ego yet that he would sniff at an appearance on the Daredevil series etc - fights with the Kingpin, team ups with Daredevil and the like - exciting prospects.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rwn410:
That said, personally no, I'm not that fussed on the character and never have been, but everything they're doing makes sense and Spider-Man has always been a high grosser. The qualities of the 2002 Spider-Man that gave it so much success just aren't viable in a time where audiences are accustomed to a shared universe and the plans Sony had for its other spin-offs sounded terrible and grasping at straws - this definitely looks from a story-telling point of view to be the best option for Sony and the wealth of the MCU opens up so many opportunities - personally I hope that Tom Holland won't have so much of a moviestar ego yet that he would sniff at an appearance on the Daredevil series etc - fights with the Kingpin, team ups with Daredevil and the like - exciting prospects.

So aren't we saying the same thing then? That Spider-Man needs a part in someone else's movie rather than retreading what came before?

The problem to me seems to be that they have created this whole super hero/super villain universe and we now expect multiple characters to appear every time. Worse yet, in every consecutive movie they keep having to up the ante from the last one. So we get more Avengers, more X-Men. You can't just do another Superman, we must have Batman in it, we must have the Justice League. Where does it all end when every actor has to have a big scene, when every character has to have his/her abilities showcased?

And as bad as that is from the standpoint of actually having a plot, when they say do a movie with only Spider-Man, it sounds old and underwhelming by comparison. That shouldn't be, but it is the problem with excess. People get trained to expect it and disappointed when they don't get it.

So again we agree when you say that the qualities of the 2002 Spider-Man aren't viable in a time where audiences are accustomed to a shared universe. The thing is, that first Spider-Man is a pretty good film, while this shared universe stuff is just all about getting a lot of big name actors together, blow up everything in sight and make a fortune the first weekend. As long as that works, the studios don't even have to try to make a good film with a good plot. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post