Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Summer Films, Hits and Misses
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Summer Films, Hits and Misses
 Login/Join
 
Silver Card Talk Member
posted
So far, for 2019


BIG HITS

Avengers
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
John Wick 3


MODERATE HITS (did better internationally, were not big hits domestically)

Secret Life of Pets 2
Godzilla
Dark Phoenix


FLOPS

Men in Black
Shaft
 
Posts: 2354 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Given that summer started 3 days ago....maybe this should be late fall/spring movies. Razz

Shazam would be moderate as well. Pet Sematary did pretty good for it's budget.

Us knocked it out of the park.
 
Posts: 2971 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My list was meant to include films in the theaters from around Memorial Day onwards. Smile

Looking at upcoming summer movies, in July you have Spider-Man and Lion King. In August, another Fast and Furious movie.

I can't see what other possible hits there might be this summer. Frown
 
Posts: 2354 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is about to open. Probably won't go down as a summer blockbuster, but the cast is all big names and its Tarantino, so it will get noticed. It's more of a prestige thing for actors to do this stuff and if it makes even decent box office it's great.
 
Posts: 7041 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is about to open. Probably won't go down as a summer blockbuster, but the cast is all big names and its Tarantino, so it will get noticed. It's more of a prestige thing for actors to do this stuff and if it makes even decent box office it's great.


This one has my attention. The era does not usually lend itself to the title of blockbuster but I am really looking forward to it.


quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Looking at upcoming summer movies, in July you have Spider-Man and Lion King. In August, another Fast and Furious movie.



I think the Shaw/Hobbs movie will do well, it will be interesting to see if Endgame has caused a bit of superhero burnout for Spiderman.
 
Posts: 2971 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
So far, for 2019 ...

MODERATE HITS (did better internationally, were not big hits domestically)

Secret Life of Pets 2
Godzilla
Dark Phoenix


I am looking forward to seeing 'Dark Phoenix', but I recognise it has done poorly in reviews and box-office. In fact, at the end of the day, Fox may well have wished they had not released it in the USA.


quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I think the Shaw/Hobbs movie will do well, it will be interesting to see if Endgame has caused a bit of superhero burnout for Spiderman.


Spider-man seems to be an eternally popular charcater with kids, so I think the film will do well.
 
Posts: 955 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With the X-Men movie franchise dwindling, it is no wonder that 20th Century Fox sold its movie studio to Disney last year. It hasn't had big hits in awhile.

Regarding the new Tarantino film, it is supposedly almost 3 hours long, so at that length it is sure to mean less box office returns. I can't see it making 200 M in the U.S. Maybe only his fans will care.
 
Posts: 2354 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

Regarding the new Tarantino film, it is supposedly almost 3 hours long, so at that length it is sure to mean less box office returns. I can't see it making 200 M in the U.S. Maybe only his fans will care.


200M!!!! Holy cow! Where did you come up with that number? Django didn't even make that much. I figure it will do a bit better than The Nice Guys (which I really liked) simply because Tarantino's name is attached to it. It's getting a nationwide release so that should help. Plus he tends to keep his production budget down. I think it will do 200M globally but domestically I would be surprised if it hits 50 or 60M
 
Posts: 2971 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Supposedly "Once Upon a Time" has a budget of around 100 M.

Django grossed around 160 M domestically, and 400 M plus worldwide, and its budget was also around 100 M
 
Posts: 2354 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think OUAT will be a reflection on how many people will still turn out just to see Pitt and DiCaprio. Tarantino always has his own fans, but there are not enough of them by themselves to make the hundreds of millions that a hit movie now needs to break the annual top ten. However he has the leading men in this one to bring in a larger audience, assuming that they still have the star power. Like the very characters they are playing in this film, they both are aging and may be on their last career trimester before other younger actors start getting the roles they once owned.

For what it's worth, the reviews are good, but many critics wanted this one to be good beforehand. Tarantino's best work was 10 years ago and this story is set in Hollywood about 50 years ago. It mixes a totally fictionalized story with real events. Sometimes that comes off as clever and sometimes it just comes across as cheating the real facts, depending if you like it or not. Either way Sharon Tate is probably turning over in her grave. Frown
 
Posts: 7041 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the Secret Life of Pets 2 has not done very well.

It is because kids are more interested in Avengers, Aladdin, and Toy Story ?

Pets 1 and 2, both had around the same budget. 75-80 M. The first one grossed almost 370 M in the U.S. alone, and 875 M total worldwide

Pets 2 has done only about 120 M domestically, and less than 200 M total worldwide. Quite a drop from 875 M !
 
Posts: 2354 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know who has kids has gone to see that. Maybe a lot of people went to see the first one more than once but haven't felt like they needed to see the second one again in theaters. It'll be On Demand in no time.


quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I wonder why the Secret Life of Pets 2 has not done very well.

It is because kids are more interested in Avengers, Aladdin, and Toy Story ?

Pets 1 and 2, both had around the same budget. 75-80 M. The first one grossed almost 370 M in the U.S. alone, and 875 M total worldwide

Pets 2 has done only about 120 M domestically, and less than 200 M total worldwide. Quite a drop from 875 M !
 
Posts: 809 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Seems to be similar with LEGO MOVIE 1 and 2

LEGO 1, 257 U.S., 469 worldwide

LEGO 2, 105 U.S., 191 worldwide

Another big drop !
 
Posts: 2354 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My brother takes my niece to all the kid's movies. He said the second "Pets" movie wasn't as good - not as good of a story. He didn't even like the second "Lego" movie. It seems to him they don't work as hard when they make the second in the series.


quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Seems to be similar with LEGO MOVIE 1 and 2

LEGO 1, 257 U.S., 469 worldwide

LEGO 2, 105 U.S., 191 worldwide

Another big drop !
 
Posts: 809 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
My brother takes my niece to all the kid's movies. He said the second "Pets" movie wasn't as good - not as good of a story. He didn't even like the second "Lego" movie. It seems to him they don't work as hard when they make the second in the series.



quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Seems to be similar with LEGO MOVIE 1 and 2

LEGO 1, 257 U.S., 469 worldwide

LEGO 2, 105 U.S., 191 worldwide

Another big drop !


I took my daughter (age 9) to see Secret Life of Pets 2 and we both forgot about the movie a mere few hours after seeing it. It committed the worst of movie crimes-It was boring.
 
Posts: 5511 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Can't believe you are all missing what will be the BEST movie of the SUMMER!

CRAWL!

Hurricanes! Alligators! Household Tools and Appliances! Metal
 
Posts: 2971 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Marvel has moved the release of "The New Mutants", yet another X-Men film, from August 2019 to April 2020.
 
Posts: 2354 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I still want to see "Godzilla."
 
Posts: 809 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

As an overall idea fused with some really great scenes (including a great ending) I loved it.

As a 2hr and 41 minute film with many empty and dialogue free scenes I felt like it kept having to wake me up when it got to the good parts.

It's as if Tarantino forgot why people liked his movies in the first place.
 
Posts: 2971 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Marvel has moved the release of "The New Mutants", yet another X-Men film, from August 2019 to April 2020.

That would be Fox that's moved it, not Marvel.
 
Posts: 3694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Summer Films, Hits and Misses

© Non-Sport Update 2013