Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Dark Morning in Colorado
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted
Here is a little information on what had happened here in Aurora. My friends and I always go to this theater for midnight shows, but we skipped this one because we knew it would be very full. I sit here thinking about what might have been and it is hard.

14 dead, 50 wounded in shooting at Colorado theater, police chief says

(CNN) -- A heavily armed gunman killed at least 14 people and wounded 50 more during an early Friday morning screening of the new Batman movie at an Aurora, Colorado, theater, police Chief Dan Oates told reporters.

Police arrested a man believed to be the shooter in a rear parking lot of the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman, told CNN. The suspect was not immediately identified, though Fania said he was believed to be in his early 20s.

"He did not resist. He did not put up a fight," Fania said. Police seized a rifle and a handgun from the suspect, and another gun was found in the theater, he said.

KMGH: Mass shooting inside Aurora movie theater

Witness: Little girl wasn't moving

Witness sees shots through theater wall

Colorado witness: 'people bleeding'

Police describe Batman shooting scene
Oates said there was no evidence of a second gunman, and FBI spokesman Jason Pack said it did not appear the incident was related to terrorism.

President Barack Obama issued a statement saying he and first lady Michelle Obama were "shocked and saddened" by the shooting and pledged the administration's support for victims of the shooting.

"As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family," it said.

Chaos broke out during the showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at the Century Aurora 16 theater when the shooting began, police and witnesses said.

Witnesses told KUSA that the gunman kicked in an emergency exit door and threw a smoke bomb into the darkened theater before opening fire.

One movie-goer, who was not identified, told KUSA the gunman was wearing a gas mask.

KUSA: One person in custody

Some people in the audience thought the thick smoke and gunfire was a special effect accompanying the movie, police and witnesses said.

"We just heard a pop, pop, pop, pop," said Quentin Caldwell, who was attending the Batman showing in an adjacent theater.

Cell phone video taken by someone at the theater showed scores of people screaming and fleeing the building. Some had blood on their clothes.

One police officer carried a girl believed to be about 9 with gunshot wounds to her back out of the theater, a witness said. "She wasn't moving."

Authorities also have evacuated the suspect's Aurora apartment building after "he made a statement about explosives" in his unit, Oates said.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents have searched the suspect's car and went to his home to search for explosives, agency spokesman Tom Mangan said. They also are conducting emergency traces on the weapons used to see how they were obtained, he said.

KWGN: Witnesses first thought gunfire was part of movie

Of the wounded, at least 20 were being treated at the University of Colorado Hospital, said spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery. All of the wounded suffered from gunshot wounds, which ranged from minor to critical, she said.

"They're arriving by police, by ambulance. Some are walking in," she said.

Ten people were killed in the theater and another four died at area hospitals, Oates said.

Hundreds of police officers descended on the theater, and the FBI has joined the investigation.

"We were calling for help from every police and fire agency," Fania said.

Aurora, a Denver suburb, is about 13 miles from Littleton, Colorado -- site of the April 1999 Columbine High School massacre.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been listening to the news and wondering why would someone do this awful thing.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims, their families and to you as I'm thankful that you are safe.

NL

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Glad you are safe Chris. This has been a terrible morning and a devastating day for those with family, relatives, and friends impacted. Totally senseless.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Horrible, there are no words for such senseless loss of life.

And now it will be studied and dissected by the experts and the news media because everyone wants motives and answers. Just like that lunatic in Norway, he didn't kill himself because he thinks he has something to say.

Can't write anymore without being politically incorrect, so I'm glad you didn't go Chris and I'm very, very sorry for those that did.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post