Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the new james bond film
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
So the title for the next James Bond film will be called Spectre

Posts: 757 | Location: london england | Registered: March 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
And apparently some survey picked the top three Bonds as:

1. Connery
2. Craig
3. Moore

Brosnan doesn't rate a top three slot, I don't get it. Twak

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Pierce will always be the best Remington Steele. So superb in that role was he that 25 years later, he was welcomed into the filmed version of "Mamma Mia" despite not being able to sing, rare air on the grand musical stage exceeded only recently by the casting of Russell Crowe in "Les Miserables".

For the new Bond film, I would prefer James take on Dr. Evil, Mini-Me, and Goldmember at this point, but I adore Christoph Waltz and I'm sure he'll chew copious amounts of scenery as the big villain. In terms of the overall quality of the actors from top to bottom, the casts for these 007 movies have just gotten better and better. The trick, of course, is finding a storyline that hasn't already been used after 23 previous efforts with the same character.

Should be more great cards as a result of this, so I'm always glad to see another Bond on the horizon.

Here's the shattered glass teaser poster on the left which cleverly holds the image of the SPECTRE logo shown at right, a lot like the Hydra design (for fans of Marvel Comics).

They all come from the same well, I'm sure, including the names KAOS and CONTROL from the delightful parody series "Get Smart!"

SPECTRE stands for "Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion".

Marvel's SHIELD used to stand for "Supreme Headquarters International Law-Enforcement Espionage Division". It no longer stands for that, but that's still good enough for me. Those Steranko drawn Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD comics from the late 1960's remain some of my very favorites, so I refuse to learn the new version, even though it is modern and sounds more like what something like that might be called these days. (I know it has the word "Homeland" in it). Some of the Steranko Nick Fury adventures would work perfectly as James Bond scenarios for films, since they were ahead of their time story-wise, and visually, light years ahead. It's fitting since those comic book adventures were the result of Marvel wanting to capitalize on the instant success of the original 1960's James Bond movies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I think the title brilliant and what nobody was expecting. It is great that all legal issues over the use of 'SPECTRE' and Blofeld in the Bond series are now back under EON's control. I bet Babs and M.G.Wilson have been waiting years to use them again.

Thanks for posting the bullet hole used on the new teaser poster chesspieceface, saves me doing it! To the casual punter, just a bullet hole, but to the Bond fan a nostalgic nod to the SPECTRE logo. It's no doubt a subtle reference to the bullet hole seen at the end of On Her Majesty's Secret Service when Tracey was shot.

The cast and crew looks phenomenal. I didn't know how they could top Javier Bardem, but I think Christoph Waltz might just do it!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
When I heard of this, I wondered, will this feature Blofeld ?

I realize that all of the Craig films are a re-boot, and are not really supposed to be connected with the 1962-2002 films, but will this also be a fresh start with SPECTRE ? Will it be as if Thunderball, YOLT, and OHMSS never happened ?

In the Daniel Craig universe, did ANY of the prior events occur, such as Bond being married to Tracy in OHMSS ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an article by Katie Rife from December 3rd, 2014, that really gets to the heart of the matter:

"On the eve of the live streaming of the announcement of the title and official cast of Bond 24, series star Daniel Craig explains why the Bond movies are mounting this kind of spectacle, as opposed to one that involves volcanoes and S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

In a 2012 interview with the Bond fansite MI6 that resurfaced this week, Craig says that the reason the most recent Bond era has been so serious is because when he joined the franchise in 2005, a certain dentally impaired secret agent parody had rendered Bond’s campy past irrelevant.

“We had to destroy the myth because [the Austin Powers movies] BLANKED us,” Craig said. “I am a huge Mike Myers fan, so don’t get me wrong, but he kind of BLANKED us, made it impossible to do the gags.”

Fans of gimmicky antagonists shouldn’t give up hope, as in the same interview Craig points towards Skyfall’s Silva as a sign of the series’ return to over-the-top villainy. “If Blofeld turned up again, it wouldn’t be a bad thing,” Craig says, although we’ll see what happens when—and if—Austin Powers 4 comes out..."

Well, the title did turn out to be SPECTRE (no period after each letter, though...) so I would now also expect a Blofeld appearance based on what Craig said, if not in the "Spectre" movie itself, perhaps after the credits, setting up the next one.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hackers have stolen the screenplay for "Spectre" as part of the massive and ongoing cyber attack on Sony Pictures.
These same hackers just today mentioned they are planning a big "Christmas present" for the world. I wouldn't be surprised if this was part of that, considering the worldwide interest in the Bond franchise.

The Bond producers were informed this morning that an early (at least there's that) version of the SPECTRE script was among material stolen in the massive hack on the Sony studio computers. Could be some spoilers coming, and soon. Remember, just don't look!

In this case of this film, I'm sure they could change things around some in time to counteract all the effects of this malfeasance, but even then, it would be a shame if they have to leave some really good material on the shelf should it be determined the spoilage was bad enough.

Gee, if only there was some secret agent spy-type out there who could catch these guys! How about a super-hero? Would you believe some really handsome vampires?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The SONY hack is unprecedented and will change how corporations operate. Sure they will try to secure their networks better and advanced IT guys will make a small fortune. But the truth is, a professional attack can find a way in, and its just a matter of how much damage it can do before detection.

Execs are better off going back to land phone lines and face to face conferences when they want to talk shop. It's easier than admitting to all the things they really say and do after it gets downloaded to the world.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You got that right, Raven. I'm astonished they weren't already more careful. There are some nervous execs out there right now, I'm sure.

While the hack of the (mostly) female celebrities' private photos a month or two ago was understandably more viscerally upsetting to those targeted, I think this current activity will have a lot more far reaching consequences in terms of certain peoples' willingness to work with one another. And while the victims of the earlier hack had moments revealed they'd never intended more than one other person (and perhaps sometimes not even that many people) to see, at least they were photos they generally took of themselves and saved in what they thought was a safe location. In other words, the at least were able to delete the pictures they themselves didn't like before they could be stolen.

With these execs' private conversation revealed in this way, this really is some "warts and all" material, as we've already seen. I think most Hollywood types suspect there are a lot of people who will tell you one thing to your face, and then say something to someone else that completely contradicts that, but to have it absolutely proven with all name's named will make for a lot of awkward encounters in the weeks (months?) to come as this plays itself out, and just in time for award's season to boot.

This is a reminder of the sage advice for anyone using a computer (or talking on the phone) to not write or say things you wouldn't be comfortable with a WHOLE lot of people reading or hearing at some point. It's simply the world we live in now.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah all that back stabbing gossip about celebrities makes for embarrassing headlines, but getting into any big corporation's executive emails means money talk and that is the most damaging. In business the biggest secrets revolve around the payroll and the profits/losses. Let the real figures get out to everyone and watch people sweat. Wink

For example, I'm wondering what might have upset Jennifer Lawrence more? Seeing her semi-nude selfies on the internet in the phone hack? Or finding out in the SONY hack that she and Amy Adams got 7% each on the backend of American Hustle, while all three male stars got 9% each?

I think she'll get over the pictures, but she will hold a grudge about the money. Big Grin That's the kind of thing corporations can't afford to be revealed.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So the celebrity gossip has been replaced by threats of violence and SONY has officially pulled The Interview from release. Now it's at a whole other level. If the Spectre script gets leaked, maybe Bond could use this plot.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Pretty disturbing to see them give in to these threats. I think the cinema owners that surrendered were worried about it hurting the business of the other movies playing in the same theatres more than threats of actual violence.

As a general rule, bullies are to have their noses bloodied, not to be acquiesced to.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Little late on this, but I just got around to viewing the photos from the Spectre casting call. The semi-big news was that Monica Bellucci at 50 years of age will be the oldest "Bond Girl".

Of course Bellucci already has a long career in Italian and international films. She was, and still is, well known as what used to be called a bombshell.

The thing that I found amusing after seeing the press photos is that Daniel Craig looked a lot better next to Belluci than he did with the other two "Bond Girls", Lea Seydoux and Naomie Harris. Maybe he was having a bad day, but Craig is now 47 and the younger ladies seemed a lot younger. Wink

Craig may yet get to find out how Brosnan felt. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Love Craig, but he is getting a little long in the tooth. After this one, it'll likely be time to recast Bond. I'm thinking Michael Cera. He can work on his accent and maybe put on 10 lbs. of muscle in the meantime.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Craig does have an 'older' look to him but he pulled in a billion dollars with Skyfall, and although Brosnan is my favourite Bond, it took all 4 of his films to hit that same number.

The thing is, Craig will keep doing Bond movies for as long as we wants to do them because Barbara Broccoli (the producer) adores him and fought hard to get him in the first place. It is already confirmed he is in for Bond 25 and he'll be around 50 when that releases. Brosnan was 51 when he got the boot and he definitely had another film in him.

Craig is much lauded as the second coming after Connery and I think they will have him match Connery's six and then he'll walk away.

Raven - I agree Bellucci looks more 'natural' next to Craig, but I don't think he looked out of place with his previous Bond girl. Lea Seydoux looks particularly young though, which is why I think it's more jarring in this case.
I find it ironic seeing Bellucci cast in SPECTRE. Back when they were casting Tomorrow Never Dies, Bellucci tested for Paris Carver and Brosnan really fought for her in the role. Then when they went with Teri Hatcher instead, he blasted them as "idiots". 17 years later they've taken his advice!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Daniel Craig has to do at least the next two movies, at the bare minimum. You have to figure this next movie will have an "Empire Strikes Back" type ending with SPECTRE seemingly on top, before the followup movie when 007 sets things right.

The franchise is in good hands, though, and when Craig does hang it up, I'm sure there will be plenty of good candidates to replace him. I always liked the idea of Ewen McGregor for the role, but he's nearly as old as Craig, so it might've passed him by once Daniel has finished his run.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Looking good. I like the creepy vibe. Really liked the way they did the Bond theme at the SPECTRE meeting.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

Anyone else notice on the charred paperwork Bond was holding in his flat that it said, 'Order of Temporary Guardianship' of Bond to Oberhauser... is the film setting Christoph Waltz (who we're all guessing to be Blofeld) as Bond's stepbrother sort of thing?!?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I watched the same trailer X and saw nothing the least bit creepy or even interesting about it, unless you want to count a foreign accent. Big Grin Just goes to show.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I watched the same trailer X and saw nothing the least bit creepy or even interesting about it, unless you want to count a foreign accent. Big Grin Just goes to show.

Nothing interesting at all? I don't understand that statement.

You've got more info on Bond's personal history; we see his flat for the first time in decades; the Aston Martin DB10 in action; arresting cinematography; snow scenes (a classic Bond staple); creepy un-Bondian music and a fresh use of the Bond theme at the end; the return of Mr White (and where does he and Quantum fit into all of this?); Bond's possible familial relationship with the villain; a new SPECTRE ring; and I'll stand by my comment that the SPECTRE meeting has a creepy tone only enhanced by obviously quality production values.
This trailer arguably has more of the franchise's classic DNA than anything we have seen in a long time.

What do you need if NONE of that is of interest?

With SPECTRE, Babs & Wilson seem to have finally hit their stride and people seem to be applauding them for it, even this early in.