Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casey Kasem passed away
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/15/...index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Probably my favorite cartoon character ever was Shaggy on Scooby Doo. Very distinctive voice, he'll be missed!

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
And now, a long distance dedication:

"Dear Casey,
I'm writing to tell you about a special friend I had who helped me through some tough times when I was a kid. I never knew this man personally, but listening to his voice from afar, I somehow knew there was a better world out there, the one he lived in, and that if I kept at it, I could get there, too.

You see, growing up, I never had much, so I took comfort in the little things in life, one of which was listening to the weekly Top 40 music countdown show on the radio. Once a week with that show (hosted by a person who just exuded the sort of positivity I didn't see a lot of in my own life), and not only did I know how my favorite songs we're doing, but I felt a little better about things, too.

I've grown up now and things are a lot better. Even though my friend is silent now, I can still hear his voice, literally, as every Saturday morning at work, I'm able to listen to a re-broadcast of his countdown show from the 1980's, and hear the exact music from those days when I was that unsure kid, nervous about the future.

With all that has been going on in the news lately, I thought that yesterday's show might be the last one I'd hear while my friend was still with us, and sadly, I was right. At the same time, I know he'd been suffering, so the tears I've cried at the news of his passing also had some happiness in them, knowing he won't be suffering anymore.

Casey, would you play "We Are All Made of Stars" in honor of my dear friend? I just want him to know, wherever he is, that he will be missed, and that his advice to keep reaching for the stars means as much to me now as it did then. I know he will hear it. Thank you, Casey."

The great man, gone at 82. Stars reached, sir.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Well said, Chesspieceface.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Don. Try to read that in Casey's voice, if you can. I tried to copy the style those dedications were written in. To be more accurate, it should've had one more sentence

"OK, Rudy, here's your long distance dedication..."

but I had a hard time typing that earlier.

Now Casey joins fellow voice actor Don Messick at the big table-read in the sky. Shaggy and his best pal, back together at last, relaxing, and having Scooby Snacks on a cloud...

Condolences to Casey's family and friends, and all who loved him.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Very nice tribute CPF, I myself remember the top 40, but the tail end of it. Kasem was very big to a lot of people.

It was such a shame that they just couldn't let him die with dignity, but hopefully he didn't know anything about it. Rest in peace Mr. Kasem.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post