Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2023
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Guess we can start it off with the chart I posted in 2022.

Still a significant number of releases down from 2019 but I am assuming most of them are on the lower budget side and/or found a different platform.

As with last year we have a major money maker rolling into 2023. Avatar TWoW is certainly a hit and looks like it could ring the $2B bell they wanted.

M3GAN also crushed its $12M budget currently at $30M with the domestic box office. This one has my interest just not sure I will go to the theater for it.

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
M3GAN comes out swinging for the fences as an early HIT. $12M budget with nearly $100M at the world wide box office, also doing well domestic.

Looks like the international box office will push Puss n Boots into the win column while Otto and Plane are still riding the struggle bus.

Looks like no one showed up to the House Party, hopefully this and Space Jam 2 has taught LeBron to stay out of the movie business.

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I predict that the # 1 film of the year will be Indiana Jones.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

I'm thinking Guardians of the Galaxy 3 or Into the Spider-Verse 2 will top Indy, especially if it gets the hatred that Crystal Skull received (I sure hope not!!).

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just looked, and the Indy films released in 1981 and 1989 were the # 1 films of their respective years, domestically, while Temple of Doom (1984) was # 3. Believe it or not the awful Crystal Skull was # 2 for 2008. The Dark Knight was # 1.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm thinkin Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

I'm thinking Guardians of the Galaxy 3 or Into the Spider-Verse 2 will top Indy, especially if it gets the hatred that Crystal Skull received (I sure hope not!!).

That's why they are willing to push Harrison Ford out in a walker if they have to. It's coming out June 30th, which is basically the 4th of July weekend, and people will go see it regardless of any reviews. I'm not sure if it will hold #1 though. It will have to be a better film than all those other sequels for that and, watching the trailer, I'm not sure that it is.

Posts: 10372 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Not much change from last week. Looks like Avatar will get its $2B this week.

Missing came in and blew past its $7M budget. Decent reviews it should make money at the box office and then go into extra life at Premium and Streaming services.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Apparently 5 of the top six films can be considered a hit with the one hold out Otto.

Maybe Tom Hanks should leave the grumpy old man character to the experts like Clint Eastwood.

Bollywood's Pathaan doesn't look so good at the US box office but according to Variety it is riding a blockbuster status. Have to admit I have not made the jump to Hindi films.

If Missing rolls for another week it should come close to 3x its budget at the box office.

Next at bat will be 80 for Brady and M Night's Knock at the Cabin.

Just in case you haven't had enough of Jim Cameron the wide release of 25th Anniversary Titanic will hit theaters Feb 10th.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ant Man 3 has made 120 M domestically in 4 days which I suppose is pretty good. I think that Black Adam only made about 160 M during its entire run.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ant Man 3 has made 120 M domestically in 4 days which I suppose is pretty good. I think that Black Adam only made about 160 M during its entire run.

It's a good movie, but people are really knocking it hard. If you're burnt out on Marvel, don't go. Not sure why they're trying to make it miserable for everyone who still enjoys it.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a good movie, but people are really knocking it hard. If you're burnt out on Marvel, don't go. Not sure why they're trying to make it miserable for everyone who still enjoys it.

There is a real disconnect with this one because both critic reviews and most audience reviews have been negative or mixed at best.

But it made about 104M domestic and had the biggest opening of all 3 Ant Man movies, so that's hardly miserable. I really don't understand it when a film makes tons of money and then everyone says they didn't care for it. So why did you go? Even worse when it happens with a trilogy. Star Wars anyone? Big Grin

Don't worry about Marvel titles. As long as people buy the tickets, it doesn't matter what they say.

Posts: 10372 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't know about regular filmgoers but it's Oscar season, so film critics will be panning anything that might actually be entertaining to watch. At the same time, they will be heaping praise on all the standard, depressing, deep and meaningless releases that are queuing up for awards. The same things happens at around this time every year Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
The second weekend drop should give a good indication of what Ant-Man 3 is going to do. Still has a lot of ground to cover for budget and advertising costs.

Magic Mike and the Ladies for Brady have hit the miss list along with Knocking at the Cabin.

Fortunately, all three are on reasonable budgets and should go into the black at some point.

Of the three I am only interested in Cabin but I can't watch M Night films in the theater. Not to mention after seeing most of his movies I only care for about half of them.

Cocaine Bear is getting the buzz I was hoping for......think it will be my go to this weekend.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just got back from watching Antman and the Wasp. It's not a great Marvel movie but it's not that bad. Part of the problem seems to be that even for a Marvel movie it is more than a little bit short on storyline. So short that, outside of saying that most of the story takes place in the Quantum Zone and that Kang the Conquerer is the main villain, I can't say anything else without giving away what little that leaves of the plot Smile .

Oh, slight spoiler, there are two credit scenes. The final one appears right at the end of the credits and is the most interesting...but that's all I'm saying Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
It's not a great Marvel movie but it's not that bad.

Sounds like the dedicated Marvel fan's mantra. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
It's not a great Marvel movie but it's not that bad.

Sounds like the dedicated Marvel fan's mantra. Big Grin
But...but...I'm not a dedicated Marvel fan. I've only seen all of the movies and TV series once, I only have 1250 Marvel Comics in my collection of 1260 comics and I haven't added to that collection since about 1995 Big Grin Thumb Up

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
But...but...I'm not a dedicated Marvel fan. I've only seen all of the movies and TV series once, I only have 1250 Marvel Comics in my collection of 1260 comics and I haven't added to that collection since about 1995 Big Grin Thumb Up

You would think with 6 decades of source material that the good/popular story lines would be well established.

To be fair I really had my doubts when I heard they were going to make Ant-Man. Sort of like when I heard that Heath Ledger was going to be the Joker. I think for the most part the character through Paul Rudd has done very well in the MCU.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ant Man 3 grossed 32 M,a huge drop from the first weekend

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Disney was worried about that "Winnie the Pooh" horror film, but I see that it's grossed less than 2 M so far, thus it is likely to be forgotten