Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2023
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Meg is back baybeeeee!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG91B3hHyY4

Sweet! This is the kind of stupid movie with no redeeming qualities that I love. I hope it's better than the first one. Nobody cares about the backstory when all they want to see is a big shark. Next year Meg vs Godzilla. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
First of all, megalodon didn't appear until about 40 million years after the last dinosaurs died out. So yeah, forget about any scientific basis for any of it and have fun.

The movies are each based on novels by Steve Alten. A friend who sells actual megalodon teeth at fossil/mineral shows is a friend of Alten and he gave me a couple of promotional items (bookmark and this 3 1/2 x 7-inch sticker) for the release of the first book back in 1997.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Meg is back baybeeeee!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG91B3hHyY4

Sweet! This is the kind of stupid movie with no redeeming qualities that I love. I hope it's better than the first one. Nobody cares about the backstory when all they want to see is a big shark. Next year Meg vs Godzilla. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
GOTG3 will probably be almost up to 200 M domestically this weekend, making it the #3 film of the year so far. In another week it will likely pass Ant Man as #2. But it won't come anywhere near Super Mario Bros which is near 540M in the U.S.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
GOTG3 and ST Picard season 3 are both hits for me so far this year.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The tenth "Fast and Furious" film will be trying for #1 this weekend.

Next weekend, Disney's "The Little Mermaid."

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to an article, the recent "Dungeons and Dragons" is considered to be a bomb and there likely won't be a sequel.

Grossed about 207 M worldwide, but cost at least 150 M to make.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
According to an article, the recent "Dungeons and Dragons" is considered to be a bomb and there likely won't be a sequel.

Grossed about 207 M worldwide, but cost at least 150 M to make.

Yeah not much hope there....still looks like a fun movie, just too much going on to see everything.

I wonder if DCEU can borrow Little Mermaid for Aquaman 3?

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Reportedly The Little Mermaid did well this weekend domestically but it has had an unusually weak showing in China and overseas.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It appears that "Fast X" is slowing down considerably in its second week of release, at least here in the U.S.

And the Robert DeNiro comedy "About My Father" bombed.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the Robert DeNiro comedy "About My Father" bombed.

Now there's a surprise. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Little Mermaid did ok but yeah, still a lot of ground to cover. If International numbers don't pull through it could be in trouble.

The last furious fastness was it for me. I still have not forgiven myself for paying theater prices to see cars in space.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Top 5 Domestically of 2023 so far, as of May 31:

1) SUPER MARIO BROS. 561 M

2) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3 306 M

3) ANT MAN 3 214 M

4) JOHN WICK 4 186 M

5) CREED 3 156 M

The Little Mermaid is # 6 as of today.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The animated Spider-Man is doing very well.

Little Mermaid is up to 187 M domestically, but it probably won't make 250 M. It won't be a huge hit like Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (323 M so far).

Fast X is out of gas, only getting up to 130 M over the course of 3 weeks.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Little Mermaid is up to 187 M domestically, but it probably won't make 250 M. It won't be a huge hit like Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (323 M so far).

Yeah, according to a movie web article it needs to make roughly $560M to break even. This is only if $300M is domestic. Certainly a far cry from the 5X budget earning of the first one.

Just not a fan of the live action conversions, I don't think I have seen any of them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The new "Transformers" film grossed about 61 M this weekend, good for first place.

Within a day or so, the Top 5 of 2023 domestically will look like this:

1) SUPER MARIO BROS.
2) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3
3) SPIDER-MAN ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE
4) THE LITTLE MERMAID
5) ANT MAN 3

All Marvel and/or Disney, except for # 1.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just watched 'The Flash' at my local Cineworld. No spoilers beyond mentioning that there is a credit scene right at the end of the credits. All I will say about the film is that it made 'Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania' look really good Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
All I will say about the film is that it made 'Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania' look really good Big Grin

From a die-hard like you, that can't be good. Big Grin

It will be interesting to see how much this one pulls in and what the audience says afterwards. I have never seen where the studio of a major blockbuster was trying so hard to hide its star. The lack of all those fake interviews with every actor loving every other actor is almost refreshing. Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
All I will say about the film is that it made 'Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania' look really good Big Grin

From a die-hard like you, that can't be good. Big Grin

It will be interesting to see how much this one pulls in and what the audience says afterwards. I have never seen where the studio of a major blockbuster was trying so hard to hide its star. The lack of all those fake interviews with every actor loving every other actor is almost refreshing. Wink
I hadn't realised until after the film finished that the new Transformers movie was also showing. With hindsight, I should have given that one a go rather than The Flash. While I have always preferred the Marvel movies, this latest DC effort really did nothing to change my opinion.

What grates with me in film interviews is they still only invite the actors to say anything. With films like 'Avatar' and so many other CG oriented 'epics', I would really like to have some of the SFX artists being given some air time. 'Avatar' was almost entirely computer generated visuals with actors just supplying the voices. The amount of work and skill put into converting the motion capture data alone into the actual on-screen imagery people watched warranted someone involved being interviewed alongside the 'stars' Instead we had the female lead actors competing to say which of them could hold their breath under water for the longest Twak . As someone who has done 3D graphics and animation as a hobby, and briefly for money, It really bugs me that they are not given much mention, except with a passing remark in a review about how bad some of it was.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Disney/Pixar film "Elemental" is not expected to be a hit when it opens this weekend.

And later this month we have another cartoon release, "Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken", which is expected to disappoint as well...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If something is expected to disappoint and it bombs, where is the disappointment? If it turns out to be a success, then it would be a disappointment. A slow day. Big Grin