Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oscar, Shirley and Adele
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
OK, so I don't know how many people really watch the Academy Awards anymore, but I usually catch at least some part of it. Glad I saw most of the musical acts, especially Shirley Bassey.

I don't know how old she is now, but her performance of Goldfinger got a standing ovation and darn if it wasn't better than ever. Compare that to the new wonder Adele and her version of Skyfall and I'd have to say that Shirley cleaned her clock. So did Jennifer Hudson for that matter.

Hard to believe, but Adele was getting overwhelmed by the band, while Shirley and Jennifer could be heard in the back row. Adele may have taken home the Oscar, but it was the grand old Ms. Bassey who was the star of the night. Thumb Up

If only RA could put her in a Bond set. Luv You

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Shirley is 76. RA did ask her to sign and She did agree but the signed cards were returned cut up as her lawyers/agent advised her not to go ahead with the contract.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Adele winning the Oscar. All that tells me is it was a very thin year for songs. Skyfall is one of the worst, if not the worst Bond songs ever. Every time she sings 'Skyfall', it drones on as though she's dozing off. Her voice is as strong as a wet paper bag. Shirley showed how it should be done!

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Shirley is 76. RA did ask her to sign and She did agree but the signed cards were returned cut up as her lawyers/agent advised her not to go ahead with the contract.

They could have started a new trend in puzzle autographs Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think Adele's Skyfall track is superb and right up there with my fave bond theme Licence to Kill by Gladys Knight. Thumb Up

Why would Shirley's lawyers be against her signing an autograph.?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hard to believe, but Adele was getting overwhelmed by the band, while Shirley and Jennifer could be heard in the back row. Adele may have taken home the Oscar, but it was the grand old Ms. Bassey who was the star of the night.

Very well stated (as usual)... Totally agree with you.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I think Adele's Skyfall track is superb and right up there with my fave bond theme Licence to Kill by Gladys Knight. Thumb Up

How odd that this was the second 'plodder' I was thinking about. A Bond theme song should have an air of expectation and adventure. These songs have all the expectation of a horsemeat sandwhich when you are expecting venison!

Why would Shirley's lawyers be against her signing an autograph.?

Because their cut wouldn't be worth their time.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I can't even recall the theme song from License to Kill, but I always liked Midnight Train to Georgia, if that means anything. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I agree that her performance was top notch, but I was disappointed by the "tribute" to Bond movies in general. I think that's because a local radio station here made it up to sound like it was going to be a huge tribute, with all 6 Bond actors (yeah, right, that was gonna happen....). A montage of clips, even with the Goldfinger theme going in the background, did not seem like much of a tribute--more of a slight nod of the head. Just my two cents worth. Confused

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I know Brosnan flat out refused to have anything to do with it. Connery is in retirement and couldn't care less. The Bond Oscar tribute was a non-event except for Bassey. The whole show looked like a pilot for a variety hour anyway. Big Grin