Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christopher Lee R.I.P.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted
Sad news, Christopher Lee has passed away.

http://www.theguardian.com/fil...ruman-bond-star-wars

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Legend.

I know when someone who is 93 passes away, we tend to think, well, 93 is a good run, but for this man, it should have been 193. He has left behind a lifetime of great work, and he will be even more beloved as time goes by. With some cgi to help his body get around, he was the best part of the Hobbit movies and the new Star Wars trilogy, these performance given in his mid 80's and early 90's. I'll be watching "Wicker Man" very soon.

Rest in Peace, Sir...

Posts: 3319 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Christopher, fangs for the memories. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh, man -I just saw this on the morning news... Frown

The last of the "real" classic monsters (IMO) and an all-around extraordinary actor.
Very glad that I was able to pick up his Wickerman card (my favorite autograph card.)

Will be watching some Hammer DVDs this weekend.

RIP Sir Christopher.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Just saw the news... Frown

RIP Christopher.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Apparantly he died in hospital last sunday. How did they manage to keep it quiet until now?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So Christopher Lee has now joined his old pal Peter Cushing. That duo brings back so many memories of Hammer films that I saw on TV as a kid. And both of them were great actors that became icons in those horror pictures, at the same time that it inevitably typecast them.

But Bond, and Star Wars and Lord of the Rings enabled them to reach the younger audiences that, believe it or not, may never have seen those classic British movies. What wonderful careers they both had! A favorite film of mine that they both appeared in was their version of The Hound of the Baskervilles.

RIP Mr. Lee.

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BGH
posted Hide Post
What a loss. My first memories are of him in the Hammer Horror films. Loved him in LOTR and don't think anyone but him could have done the job as well.

Posts: 52 | Location: KY | Registered: May 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Apparantly he died in hospital last sunday. How did they manage to keep it quiet until now?

I read that it was at his wife's request as she wanted to inform the family rather than have them read it in the papers. Nice for a change that the staff clearly did respect the family's wishes.

Was one of the best Bond Villains bar none, and was my favourite character in Lord of the Rings. It was a travesty that Peter Jackson cut him from the theatrical print of The Return of the King.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
It was a travesty that Peter Jackson cut him from the theatrical print of The Return of the King.

I hadn't heard that. What was the explanation for it? Even trimming for time, why wouldn't Jackson leave in some part of his work, even as a cameo, just out of respect?

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
It was a travesty that Peter Jackson cut him from the theatrical print of The Return of the King.

I hadn't heard that. What was the explanation for it? Even trimming for time, why wouldn't Jackson leave in some part of his work, even as a cameo, just out of respect?

Why indeed... Jackson gave the usual time and pacing line, and he confirmed it was his decision, not the studio. Yet there was still enough time to see Merry and Pippen ******* about ad nauseam. Lee was not too pleased about it to say the least and consequently snubbed the premiere.
http://www.theguardian.com/fil.../lordoftherings.news

Lee was a real LOTR fan and was reported to have read the books at least once a year. You can only imagine how gutted he was and many (LOTR, Tolkein, Lee) fans were very unhappy, myself included. I remember sitting in the cinema, not having read about the cut beforehand, thinking "What happened to Saruman?!?" because if Jackson wants to get all 'filmy', the audience was not given thematic closure to the series central human antagonist. His scene was kept for the Extended DVD however.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
His scene was kept for the Extended DVD however.

Well, those really are the only versions of those films that should be watched anyway. They are all way better than the theatricals.

Posts: 3319 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I was very sorry to hear of his passing.
I haven't seen him in much but his portrayal as Saruman very amazing.

I'm sure he will be sadly missed by alot of people.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post