Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Is it worth starting to watch...?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it worth starting to watch...?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted
I am a telly addict! There, I've said it.

I'm getting a little jaded with the shows that are being cancelled that I've invested my time in supporting. In the past year, my viewing pleasure has lost:

Dark Matter
The Shannara Chronicles
Zoo

None of these have had bad viewing figures, and more importantly, none have come to a conclusion, finishing with cliff-hangers. There doesn't seem to be any consideration for the viewing public. It makes me wonder if I should start watching any new series, or just wait and see what happens with them.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Started watching Black Lightning and it is only a few episodes in so you won't have to catch up much.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I don't usually have that problem because I can not force myself to watch TV shows when they are first broadcast. It seems the networks try their utmost best to push me away from their own product with all the pop-ups on the bottom of the screen, the ever-present, annoying logos and the constant barrage of commercials. The same holds true for talk radio, which I find myself angrily switching off every few seconds, since it seems the host is incapable of holding a monolog for more than a minute without inserting some form of audio advertisement. Cable is probably not as bad, but as I refuse to subscribe to it, I can not judge those shows. I realize I am behind the times technologically speaking. I rent a DVD to see if I'll like a TV show in that format, and take it from there.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think many of these TV shows start off pretty well because the ideas are fresh. If it is any good at all, Seasons 1 and 2 will always be the best.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
None of these have had bad viewing figures, and more importantly, none have come to a conclusion, finishing with cliff-hangers. There doesn't seem to be any consideration for the viewing public. It makes me wonder if I should start watching any new series, or just wait and see what happens with them.

Over the years I have watched many short lived series with little or no endings. Human Target, Blood Ties, The Dresden Files, Moonlight, Birds of Prey, just to name a few. Its not really new that they cancel good shows and keep on junk.

Endings are always a problem no matter how many years they are on. Lost was the worst. I didn't care for Buffy's wrap up. New Tricks, which had something like 11 seasons, finished it all up in literally 5 minutes of dialog. Alphas just quit on a cliffhanger.

So that's the chance you take when you get sucked into interconnected storylines and running arcs. But if you wait years to know the ending, or even just to see if it gets renewed, you may miss out on a show you can enjoy in the moment.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Endings are always a problem no matter how many years they are on. Lost was the worst. I didn't care for Buffy's wrap up. New Tricks, which had something like 11 seasons, finished it all up in literally 5 minutes of dialog. Alphas just quit on a cliffhanger.

I had the same problem with Buffy. Grimm also finished at a forced pace. I liked the ending of Angel because it gave something to the imagination as to what would happen next. I would have loved to have seen a second season/conclusion to John Doe and Odyssey 5. Alphas just hurt.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Today I received BLINDSPOT Season 1, disc 1, from Netflix. I watched it for about twenty minutes, then became so disgusted with the multiple cuts, close-ups, swinging and bouncing camera movements, and 1000 cuts in the first fight sequence that I popped it right out of the DVD, stuck it in the return envelope and cancelled the rest of the discs. I saw TOMB RAIDER today and the fights were the same thing. I just can not tolerate a different cut and angle on every single arm or leg movement in a fight or action sequence. It drives me crazy.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So FOX strikes again.

Just heard today that one of the few shows I'm still watching, Lucifer, is being dropped by FOX after this upcoming 3rd season final episode. Now this show has been running against high competition on Monday's at 8PM. It has a solid following of around 4M each week. Not the best, but FOX has nothing better anyway, and it was an interesting, if complicated, storyline.

I liked the actors, many of whom appeared on other genre shows. I was even hoping early on that some manufacturer would put out cards, as signers looked promising. Now it is cancelled without much warning.

Worst yet, the producers have said loose ends will be tied up but it will still have a cliffhanger ending, since they thought there would be a Season 4.

Why is it always FOX that moves shows around and then cancels them? Lucifer was good at the 9PM slot after Gotham. Gotham was moved to another night and Lucifer went to the 8PM slot this year. Now they pull the plug when it had one of its best episodes last week.

I give up. No it's not worth watching anything if its on FOX, home of Firefly, Doll House, Human Target, Sleepy Hollow and a bunch of other shows they ruined before their time.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven, you just really spoiled my day Frown Lucifer has been the one consistently entertaining show that I still watch, so to hear that it is being axed at the end of the current season is really bad news Twak

Hm, isn't Fox being bought by Disney...or has that been cancelled too Big Grin

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
You all seem to be under the illusion that these shows are being made for you. Shake Head

You really should know better at your age ( as my mother used to tell me ) Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
You all seem to be under the illusion that these shows are being made for you. Shake Head

You really should know better at your age ( as my mother used to tell me ) Big Grin
Wolfie, I know full well that these programmes are made to feed the insatiable hunger for ever-increasing profits of the alien entities known as 'Shareholders' Big Grin ...but that doesn't mean I can't be a little bit miffed when their unrealistic addiction results in a show I like to watch getting cancelled Big Grin

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just to really spoil my weekend, I also just found out that 'The Expanse' is also being cancelled at the end of the current third season Twak SyFy is not unlike FOX in some of its decisions...though I wont miss this series as much as I will Lucifer.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:

Wolfie, that doesn't mean I can't be a little bit miffed Big Grin

You have my permission to be miffed. Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
Raven, you just really spoiled my day Frown Lucifer has been the one consistently entertaining show that I still watch, so to hear that it is being axed at the end of the current season is really bad news Twak

Hm, isn't Fox being bought by Disney...or has that been cancelled too Big Grin

There were rumors that Disney was buying them, but FOX has denied it. So far anyway.

FOX looks like it wants to rebrand and is cancelling a bunch of shows. Always not the right ones though. Many people are upset at losing Lucifer, I mean an average of over 4 million viewers is not just a handful or a "me only" show.

My take on it is that FOX just bought the Tim Allen "Last Man Standing" show for next year. Allen has a big contract, so FOX is cutting expenses in other places. Lucifer has a large cast and cost money to make. It also has an edgy theme that some people have found offensive. So goodbye Lucifer. Gotham has not been renewed yet. Don't be too surprised if it gets cancelled too.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Gotham and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D have both been renewed for 13 episode seasons. It looks as though these will be the last, so we can only hope there will be satisfactory conclusions.