Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autographed 8x10's
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted
I know this is a card forum, but does anyone collect autographed 8x10's? I do.

It started with Xena (as everything in my life of collecting has LOL!), when I went to conventions I got as many autographs as I could. Now, I get them from conventions and trusted dealers.

I'm also a member of the Autograph of the Month Club by 258 West. That's fun. Really inexpensive and worth it. I love the mystery aspect of it. Lots of fun.

I've been storing mine in Itoya art binders, plan on framing some of them to display, but need to wait a little on that for now.

Anyhoo, anyone else collect 8x10's?

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I use to, not so much anymore because I can't get to personal appearances like I could a couple of years ago. If I did go to a signing, I always asked for a personalization on an 8x10. Those photos make for the best display items and if you are going to pay show prices, why wouldn't you pick something larger to autograph? I know a personalized 8x10 hurts re-sale value a lot, but those items are only for me anyway. For anyone thinking of maybe selling your signed 8x10 some day, you can get an inscription, just don't put your name in it.

I also used to buy autographed 8x10s from sellers way back when, but I pretty much stopped getting them thru third-parties as soon as certified autograph cards became common hits. The overriding problem with uncertified 8x10s is simply that you don't know if it's real and even if you yourself were certain, without documentation or possibly an authentication service, you could never convince someone else. And by documentation I don't mean a certificate of authenticity from the seller. If it's a fake signature, a fake certificate is even easier. Big Grin

Even third-party authentication is suspect because, let's face it, it's just a guessing game when it comes to people who don't sign the same way twice or will just write anything, anytime. Many of the free signatures autograph hounds get and put up for sale are terrible examples of the person's signature, yet they are genuinely signed. If they are doing mail items, who knows who really signed it, but it is returned signed by someone.

I still have many signed 8x10s that I bought before I knew too much about autographs and I know a few are no good. The only advice I would give is that, if you are unsure let it go. I would rather miss 10 good ones than get stuck with 1 fake.

I have heard of that 258 West club and that is a good deal since you don't have to worry about the authenticity. But they don't say who they are sending out each month and a lot of the time I'm not interested in the signers.

I keep my signed 8x10s in Ultra Pro platinum pages made for the size and then in binders. I see no damage to the ink so far, but a couple of photos that I have left out on display do shows signs of fading and yellowing around the edges, even though the frame glass was UV protected. Oh well, they are meant to be enjoyed.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven!

I always get mine personalized if I can. I don't resell my 8x10's. Even the ones from the auto of the month club that I may not like too much. I just love to have them in my collection. Those I might trade with others in the future if I want to though. But the in person ones I definitely will not get rid of. Big Grin

I haven't really looked into the certified PSA ones, I think they come in packs like trading cards right? What company does them? The ones I've seen seem to have the crappy sticker on the front of the photo holder and it really ruins the image for me. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones?

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I collect 8 x10 autos, or frankly,whatever I can get signed. I have a couple of 5 x 7 autos, Norm from This Old House for example. I don't just have TV and Movie stars - I have a couple of war heroes and astronauts too.
Have bought some from eBay,and a few may be fakes, but I loved when Paul Maiellero had his shows in Chicago, always had lots of celebrities, met a few Bond Girls there.
My oddest auto - one year my dad was at the Oshkosh air show and Chuck Yeager was going to be there, but my dad was not feeling up to going across the airfield. So one of his friends said he'd get Yeager's auto for him. When he met up with Yeager, neither one had a piece of paper to sign. so my dad's friend pulled a $50 bill out of his wallet and he signed that. When my dad passed away I was sorting through his stuff and found his Chuck Yeager bill, and it went into my collection.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hey Jessica,

I'm not really sure what you mean by "PSA ones". PSA does condition grading and/or autograph authentications on submissions that collectors send in. They would seal up a signed 8x10 photo, much like a graded card. I'm not aware that they make any product of their own, but I'm sure they might get involved in certifying someone else's product.

That's what Beckett Grading did for Leaf awhile back when they had a private signing for I believe Ben Affleck. Beckett was there to witness and authentic every signature, which was a good move since Affleck is one of the most inconsistent signers out there, even when he is being paid for it.

Now the crappy sticker on the front that you are referring to may be items from Upper Deck. UD was one of the first companies, maybe the first one, to ink exclusive contracts for autographs from big name sports stars like Michael Jordan. They put on those numbered holograms to register them. I don't know if they do anything with non-sport celebrities, I kind of doubt it, but I don't pay much attention to it anymore.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
I haven't really looked into the certified PSA ones, I think they come in packs like trading cards right? What company does them? The ones I've seen seem to have the crappy sticker on the front of the photo holder and it really ruins the image for me. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones?

You might be thinking of the Leaf Pop Century 8x10 product. Every auto is certified by a few different authenticators. They're doing a set in August of this year, here's the info on the set from my newsletter:

quote:
2018 Pop Century 8x10 Photograph Edition
Leaf
August

Leaf rolls out their annual signed 8x10 photo product. No frills, just 1 8x10 photo per pack. Here’s the announced list of signers:
ALL photographs authenticated by Leaf, PSA, JSA or Beckett.
Wide range of personalities from multiple fields, including Sports, Television, Movies, Music, Politics and more, including:

Robert De Niro
Al Pacino
Jennifer Lawrence
Brad Pitt
Johnny Depp
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Angelina Jolie
Stan Lee
Halle Berry
Daniel Radcliffe
Clint Eastwood
Daisy Ridley
Gal Gadot
Scarlett Johansson
Harrison Ford
Salma Hayek
Sylvester Stalone
Adam West & Burt Ward
Cheech & Chong
AND MANY, MANY MORE!

You just have to beware of the Many, Many More. There are a lot of B-list signers that don't show up on the previews. Still a fun product if you like 8x10's.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Ah, thanks guys. I knew that there was a company that did this, but I didn't know who. All I could remember was seeing those PSA stickers. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
My oddest auto - one year my dad was at the Oshkosh air show and Chuck Yeager was going to be there, but my dad was not feeling up to going across the airfield. So one of his friends said he'd get Yeager's auto for him. When he met up with Yeager, neither one had a piece of paper to sign. so my dad's friend pulled a $50 bill out of his wallet and he signed that. When my dad passed away I was sorting through his stuff and found his Chuck Yeager bill, and it went into my collection.

That's too cool. What a great memento!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

You might be thinking of the Leaf Pop Century 8x10 product. Every auto is certified by a few different authenticators. They're doing a set in August of this year, here's the info on the set from my newsletter:

quote:
2018 Pop Century 8x10 Photograph Edition
Leaf
August

Leaf rolls out their annual signed 8x10 photo product. No frills, just 1 8x10 photo per pack. Here’s the announced list of signers:
ALL photographs authenticated by Leaf, PSA, JSA or Beckett.
Wide range of personalities from multiple fields, including Sports, Television, Movies, Music, Politics and more, including:

Robert De Niro
Al Pacino
Jennifer Lawrence
Brad Pitt
Johnny Depp
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Angelina Jolie
Stan Lee
Halle Berry
Daniel Radcliffe
Clint Eastwood
Daisy Ridley
Gal Gadot
Scarlett Johansson
Harrison Ford
Salma Hayek
Sylvester Stalone
Adam West & Burt Ward
Cheech & Chong
AND MANY, MANY MORE!

You just have to beware of the Many, Many More. There are a lot of B-list signers that don't show up on the previews. Still a fun product if you like 8x10's.

Ed

Notice that all the names they do list are really from the movies. Big Grin

I wish they did more than one in a pack. I don't mind the luck of the draw if its within the same category I collect. I would take a "B" actor, but what would I want with a politician or soccer player? More chances would split the disappointment.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I used to collect signed and unsigned 8x10's and a few 5x7's too but didn't get too deep into those. Around 2005 I started selling those on Ebay. I used to buy photos and cards from a very reputable dealer who did a lot of shows. I still see that dealer sometimes at local shows but he has shifted to offering anime-related toys/products so I get the feeling celebrity photos and cards stopped being good sellers for him.

quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
I know this is a card forum, but does anyone collect autographed 8x10's? I do.

It started with Xena (as everything in my life of collecting has LOL!), when I went to conventions I got as many autographs as I could. Now, I get them from conventions and trusted dealers.

I'm also a member of the Autograph of the Month Club by 258 West. That's fun. Really inexpensive and worth it. I love the mystery aspect of it. Lots of fun.

I've been storing mine in Itoya art binders, plan on framing some of them to display, but need to wait a little on that for now.

Anyhoo, anyone else collect 8x10's?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
I also collect unsigned 8x10's. In fact, I think I just might have EVERY Xena 8x10 ever produced LOL!! Just kidding. I'm a little obsessed. I just like to have the reminder of a favorite part of my favorite show that helps me re live that episode.

I also collect photos of models that I like, although I've noticed that the printer that they seem to all use often prints them in like 7x12 and I hate that because I have to use a different binder for them that doesn't fit as well. Oh well.

Picture of Scorpiovamp
posted Hide Post
I have a nice autograph collection. Dr. Who, Babylon 5Star Trek, Star Wars, Xena, Buffy, Angel, Vampire Diaries and misc. I've gotten 99% of them signed in person. T
About 1 from creation when the actor cancelled and one Tom Baker handed out.

Posts: 285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: February 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post