Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Films Coming in 2018
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Maze Runner 3

Pacific Rim 2

A Wrinkle in Time

Han Solo (exact title unknown)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

The Predator (aka Predator 4)

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Maze Runner 3

Pacific Rim 2

A Wrinkle in Time

Han Solo (exact title unknown)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

The Predator (aka Predator 4)
Of those titles, the only one that sounds interesting is 'A Wrinkle in Time' for the simple reason I have no idea what it is about as this is the first time I have heard of it Big Grin The others are either just tired old franchises, a pointless spinoff or 'they're making a sequel to that load of rubbish ?!'. I leave it to the reader to work out which is which Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Wrinkle in Time is a sci-fi novel first published in 1963.

The upcoming movie will star Reese Witherspoon, Oprah Winfrey, Chris Pine, and others.

Apparently there was a previous attempt by Disney to adapt the novel, a 2003 TV film

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Since Oprah decided to get involved with it, that will be enough for some people. Wink

Beyond that I saw the trailer and I think this story, that may have been something special as a book in 1963, has now been copied, passed and dated by a slew of young adult films where the plucky kids journey to other realms to save the world from the darkness. Never can have enough of that, right? Big Grin

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Reading the list, nothing excites me. Looks like I will not be at the box office in 2018!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well if you want to get a feel for the rest of 2018, here is a larger list of some very familiar sounding titles, excluding the 5 movie sequels and prequels already noted.

Avengers: Infinity War
Aquaman
Deadpool 2
Ant-Man and the Wasp
The Incredibles 2
Mission Impossible 6
Wreck It Ralph 2
Bad Boys For Life
Fantastic Beasts (sequel, no name yet)
Ocean's Eight (ladies version)
Hotel Transylvania 3
Mary Poppins Returns
Tomb Raider (redo?)
Fifty Shades Freed
Jungle Book (animation)
Insidious 4
The Equalizer 2
A Star Is Born (again)
Holmes and Watson
Madagascar 4
X Men: Dark Phoenix
Spiderman (animated)
X Men: The New Mutants

I'm sure some of these movies will be welcomed by some franchise fans, but if you try to find 2018 films that are not at all connected with prior titles, I think I saw only a handful to list.

I liked Meg, but even that's another shark film, so it may not count. Big Grin

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was an article on line the other day about how the chain of AMC Theaters is laying off a bunch of employees, as so many of the 2017 movies did not excite people, and how the box office returns are off this year as compared to last.

Looking at the summer 2017 films, the only real big hits have been Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, and Despicable Me 3. Nearly all of the other sequels have made 150 M or less each, a poor showing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Looking at this list I am down for Wreak it Ralph 2 and slightly interested in Ant-man and the Wasp.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I liked Meg, but even that's another shark film, so it may not count. Big Grin

Have you been following Steve Alten's newsletters for the past 8 years or so? It has been very interesting to watch his book to a movie journey as it has bounced from studio to studio.

I have read the first 4 books. In my opinion only the first and third ones have any real movie potential. In fact, I felt that the 3rd book read more like a movie as if that's what he was going for.

I just read that the opening date for MEG will be in competition with a remake of Scarface.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I would much rather see Meg than a totally unnecessary Scarface remake. I would probably much rather see anything than a totally unnecessary Scarface remake. Big Grin

No, I haven't read any of the Meg books. I did read Jaws, but I mostly like sharks on film rather than on paper because the ocean photography is always very good. Its hard to give fish any personality, so the read has to be about the characters and the characters mainly exist to be fish food in these plots. Big Grin

Still I watch even bad fish/shark/whale movies. All of the Jaws, Orca, all of the Piranhas, Beast, Deep Blue Sea, Shallows, all of the Moby Dicks, Tentacles, 47 Meters, I'm sure there's more just can't think of them now.

Tentacles and the Beast were big squids, but it was pretty much the same thing as Jaws.

I do draw the line at that Sharknado garbage TV. Wink

Anyway, I really can't see Meg as another franchise title, so maybe the screen writer will take the best parts of all those books and just combine the plots. Maybe I'll check them out before the film opens in a year.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, I haven't read any of the Meg books. I did read Jaws, but I mostly like sharks on film rather than on paper because the ocean photography is always very good. Its hard to give fish any personality, so the read has to be about the characters and the characters mainly exist to be fish food in these plots. Big Grin

The first book is an easy read and the characters are likeable. The Author has released a 20th Anniversary edition (you can get signed from his website) with some added pre-history chapters. I think he likes to fancy himself as a scientific mind for biology so you wonder if he takes himself a bit too seriously sometimes. The original hard cover comes in at under 300 pages. From what I have heard of the film so far, it is going to stray from the book a bit. I am having a difficult time placing Jason Statham as the lead character.

quote:

Still I watch even bad fish/shark/whale movies. All of the Jaws, Orca, all of the Piranhas, Beast, Deep Blue Sea, Shallows, all of the Moby Dicks, Tentacles, 47 Meters, I'm sure there's more just can't think of them now.

Tentacles and the Beast were big squids, but it was pretty much the same thing as Jaws.

I do draw the line at that Sharknado garbage TV. Wink

I like Sharknado because it's so bad Razz but I remember seeing Orca (Bo Derek) and the original Piranha in the theater as a kid. Jaws really messed me up and I have had a thing for sea monster movies ever since. The Shallows was OK but 47 Meters was painful. I loved Open Water and The Reef. I was bummed that Heart of the Sea was not very focused on the whale. That movie's box office failure is what surprises me that Warner Brothers green lit another high budget monster fish movie.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I didn't see Heart of the Sea or the Reef. Have to check out what the Reef is about, but HotS was a Ron Howard film and I hate his movies, no matter what rep he has. To me his movies, except for the few very early ones that got him there, have all been an awful waste of time. When I see he directed, I just scratch it off my list.

I didn't care that much for the Shallows, but it was harmless. 47 Meters of course was supposed to strike the same Open Waters nerve, but it lost me very early on because of the idea that these women would even do such a stupid thing to make this plot go forward. I mean, I was rooting for the sharks to eat them both. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
For those who've seen these films since, which were hits or misses for you?

I couldn't believe how bad the trailer for A Wrinkle In Time was?!

And surprised to read here it was based on a book. Thought it was an original script/story.

Looking forward to Fantastic Beats, Mary Poppins 2, Hotel Transylvania and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Still need to see Tomb Raider planned to see at the cinema and never got round to it.

There's 2 X-Men films for 2018 - Isn't that over the top?

I thought the franchise ended when Hugh Jackman retired his role.

Not too excited for the Jungle Book re-do but interested in the Spiderman film.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:

Nope. He only played one character and the films weren't just about that character (Wolverine aka Logan).
If they want Wolvie in the films, they'll recast if they can't persuade him to come back (wave of Daniel Craig).

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only one for 2018, the Dark Phoenix release has been put back to 2019. I'm not exactly looking forward to the New Mutants when it comes out as it looks dreary due to the 'gritty, realistic' look of the trailers. Yet another grotty set of locations Frown

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
quote:

Nope. He only played one character and the films weren't just about that character (Wolverine aka Logan).
If they want Wolvie in the films, they'll recast if they can't persuade him to come back (wave of Daniel Craig).

Daniel Craig would be an interesting choice.
Yeah I always thought of him as the central character I guess.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Only one for 2018, the Dark Phoenix release has been put back to 2019. I'm not exactly looking forward to the New Mutants when it comes out as it looks dreary due to the 'gritty, realistic' look of the trailers. Yet another grotty set of locations Frown

I think after the SOLO fiasco they're sensible to push it back. Haven't seen stills or trailers so I can't say what I think of it yet but your thoughts don't sound optimistic about it. Lets hope its better than it seems right now.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:

I think after the SOLO fiasco they're sensible to push it back. Haven't seen stills or trailers so I can't say what I think of it yet but your thoughts don't sound optimistic about it. Lets hope its better than it seems right now.
My views on The New Mutants are that it is already dead in the water. The trailer sort of hints at children being tortured in an old-style, grotty mental hospital setting. Not my idea of an entertaining film.

I have my fingers crossed the Dark Phoenix will be better. However, as I think they have the wrong actress playing Jean Grey, i.e. Sophie Turner a.k.a. Sansa Stark from 'Game of Thrones', I'm keeping my expectations low. Hopefully it will be better than the 'original' X-Men 3.

One thing that will wreak it for me will be if they leave out Phoenix's trademark burning Phoenix appearance. Without that, it will be just another poor effort. I can still remember getting really hopeful at the end of X-Men 2 when you saw the Phoenix outline in the lake. Just have to wait and see.