Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Superman Movie
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The Hollywood film industry is strange. In demanding diversity and equality, which are two very good principals, they have found other ways not to get it.

If Chloe Zhao, this year's Academy Award winning director for Nomadland and a Chinese-America woman, had good ideas and tried to be hired for this film, is she automatically disqualified? Based on the studio's predetermined "commitment" she sure is.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! Warner just cannot hire someone with more than two original thought brain cells clacking around in their head!

The formula does not work. I wish em all the luck in the world but it wont get my money.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just can't see how this will be a huge hit.

People want familiarity, not too much of a deviation from what they expect. Look what happened with the last Ghostbusters movie.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's a combination of having no original ideas, as mykdude said, and pretending to be "woke". If and when it fails, it's the public's fault for not giving it a chance.

Meanwhile its a lousy movie.

The last Ghostbusters wasn't a dud because it was all female Ghostbusters. It was a bad movie. The last Charlie's Angels wasn't a bomb because the Angels were modern liberated women. It was a terrible, terrible movie.

It is possible to dislike something just because its really not good. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
If you dare say anything negative about these new "woke" movies then you're labeled as racist, sexist (current buzz word)-ophobic, etc. But then again, I'm a white male, so I'm obviously all of those things and more. Roll Eyes

We've pretty much stopped watching any network programming as it's absolutely horrible. Most of the movies that are coming out look equally bad.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the subject of 'Woke', has anyone else seen the Saturday Night Live Star Trek parody that went out last month ? Hilarious and absolutely spot on take on things. I especially liked the ending Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZps0fR5TE4&t=1s

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
On the subject of 'Woke', has anyone else seen the Saturday Night Live Star Trek parody that went out last month ? Hilarious and absolutely spot on take on things. I especially liked the ending Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZps0fR5TE4&t=1s

Thanks, I missed it and enjoyed that skit. These days I usually turn off SNL shortly after the opening. Most of their skits are more annoying than funny and many musical guests are people I never heard about. No, I'm not getting old Big Grin, their ratings are way down. Without Trump around for laughs, and they simply won't make fun of Biden, it shows how bad the writing has gotten. Just my opinion of course.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Superman is too powerful for movies. The only way you can threaten him is to basically threaten his adopted world, which has been the plot of all recent cinematic efforts with the character (and plenty others besides). It's all been done to death which is part of why all of recent go-rounds with character have been commercial and critical disappointments, and worse, absolutely zero fun.

They might as well try something new. Nothing else is working.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree that trying something new while also getting back to who Superman is - the original character- is the way to go. They tried to make him a darker character in "The Man of Steel," landing him in an even more weary and distrustful world than the late 70's. They were treating him like an alien with unclear motives. The big problem is the best Superman movie that has been made was the first one and the second best one was the second one and they went downhill after that with the fourth one being truly terrible. The more recent movies weren't terrible but they weren't great either.

You can change the color of his suit and his skin but don't change Superman. He's positive, optimistic, and educated as well as more powerful than a locomotive. Do what the first movie did. Find an actor that can be believable as both Clark Kent and Superman. Find another great actor to play the villain. Gene Hackman was fantastic as Lex Luthor.
Write a clever script that spoofs and honors the original story.

I don't know if moviemakers can replicate the kind of thrill that we felt when we first saw Superman in action in the 1978 film, catching Lois Land as she fell from the top of the skyscraper and then catching the helicopter in mid-air too, carrying them both back to the top. We had to believe a man could fly and we did. The movie is going to need something like that, not necessarily topping the original but generating the same intense feeling.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Superman is too powerful for movies. The only way you can threaten him is to basically threaten his adopted world, which has been the plot of all recent cinematic efforts with the character (and plenty others besides). It's all been done to death which is part of why all of recent go-rounds with character have been commercial and critical disappointments, and worse, absolutely zero fun.

They might as well try something new. Nothing else is working.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I don't know if moviemakers can replicate the kind of thrill that we felt when we first saw Superman in action in the 1978 film, catching Lois Land as she fell from the top of the skyscraper and then catching the helicopter in mid-air too, carrying them both back to the top. We had to believe a man could fly and we did. The movie is going to need something like that, not necessarily topping the original but generating the same intense feeling.

Jess

Hey Jess,

Unfortunately I don't think the world we live in is like that anymore. You're talking about memories from our youth and even with that, sometimes I re-watch old movies that I loved and I say to myself "why did I think that was so great?"

I don't know if Superman is too powerful for the movies, there was always Kryptonite, but he is too good and too moral. Even the newer DC movies haven't really tried to mess with that. Only today's young audiences are more apt to identify with Suicide Squad than they are to relate to Superman. Frown

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine showed his young kids (8 and 10) the original 1978 Superman movie last year, and the kids (and his wife) were shocked at the site of nude Kal-El emerging from the rocket, and a few scenes of sexual suggestiveness involving Miss Tessmacher (wet dresses, references to massaging bosoms, etc).

In some respects, 1978 was NOT a more innocent time. I doubt you'd see nude youngsters in movies today, which I'd have to say is a change for the better.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
These days I usually turn off SNL shortly after the opening.

These days I usually turn off SNL shortly before the opening.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

I saw it again maybe two years ago and thought it held up after all those years. It's still a great movie.

Jess

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Jess

Hey Jess,

Unfortunately I don't think the world we live in is like that anymore. You're talking about memories from our youth and even with that, sometimes I re-watch old movies that I loved and I say to myself "why did I think that was so great?"

I don't know if Superman is too powerful for the movies, there was always Kryptonite, but he is too good and too moral. Even the newer DC movies haven't really tried to mess with that. Only today's young audiences are more apt to identify with Suicide Squad than they are to relate to Superman. Frown

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I still watch SNL but it's usually disappointing. They had stinker shows even with the original cast but now you're often waiting for something funny instead of it coming rather consistently. It hasn't recovered since Bill Hader, Andy Samberg, and Seth Myers left though Weekend Update is still funny. I thought the shows they did from all remote locations last year was better than their normal shows. They had to be more creative just to put on a show and it seemed to have inspired them.

One of the funnier things they've done in recent years was a spoof of baking shows in which one of the cakes is so bad it becomes evil.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
These days I usually turn off SNL shortly after the opening.

These days I usually turn off SNL shortly before the opening.