Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Boys
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Heroes in the REAL world.

Just saw the first episode, WOW!

I can see many old school types really hating this one simply because it decimates the Super Hero ethos but I really liked it.

A card set would be awesome!

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
The series is tame considering the source material. The Boys was originally published by DC under the Wildstorm banner. After the first arc they allowed Garth Ennis to shop around the series to whoever wanted it. Dynamite picked it up. The series was Garth Ennis's attempt to deconstruct the super hero story. "If superheroes were real, do you really think they would be nice people or something far worse?"

The show and the series do stray from each other. I am not sure how they could even pull off some of the stories from the comics such as the "herograsm" story arc. Overall, I was surprise by how good the actor playing Homelander was(you really are not suppose to like him but he was my favorite on the show). He and Annie are the best two on the show followed by Butcher.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
^^^ Accurate ^^^

Wee Hughie is played by the son of Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid but he looks like a young Bill Hader,

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
Overall, I was surprise by how good the actor playing Homelander was(you really are not suppose to like him but he was my favorite on the show). He and Annie are the best two on the show followed by Butcher.

He played the lead in a show called Banshee that was on Showtime (i believe)

If you have not seen it, I totally recommend it.

I have been out of the comic scene for some time now but I have heard of the large differences between it and the show from others as well.

As a casual viewer I really like how the show is laid out. Seems to work well.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

I have been out of the comic scene for some time now but I have heard of the large differences between it and the show from others as well.

As a casual viewer I really like how the show is laid out. Seems to work well.

When they announced they were doing the show, I was kinda baffled as to how they were going to do it without an 'X' rating.

I am going off on an tanget but The Boys started when I owned a comic book store. A lot of people were reading it. A customer I had used his name instead of pronouns: Jimmy Cain is here. Jimmy Cain going to the grocery store.

Jimmy Cain came running into the store one day and said, "Jimmy Cain can't read the boys no more. Jimmy Cain's son, Mojo,(yes, the boy's was named Mojo because Mojo Cain sounds like a great wrestling name according to his dad---can this story get any weirder) got caught reading The Boys. Jimmy Cain in trouble (by his wife who caught Mojo reading an issue of The Boys)!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: barobehere,

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

I am going off on an tanget but The Boys started when I owned a comic book store. A lot of people were reading it. A customer I had used his name instead of pronouns: Jimmy Cain is here. Jimmy Cain going to the grocery store.
Jimmy Cain came running into the store one day and said, "Jimmy Cain can't read the boys no more. Jimmy Cain's son (Mojo- yes, the boy was named Mojo because Mojo Cain sounds like a great wrestling name---can this story get any weirder) got caught reading The Boys. Jimmy Cain in trouble (by his wife reading the issue)!"

That's hilarious! I might try and find some digital issues if there are any.

Wonder how many people are going to run to the comic because of the show going from R to X?

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Dynamite (the comic publisher) just announced that they have sold 4.5 millions dollars in sales of THE BOYS Omnibus since the series debut.