Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest Films of 2019
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Terminator did poorly this weekend. Guess no one cares about the franchise anymore, or 70 year old Arnold

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Posts: 3988 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Terminator Dark Fate cost around 185M and was expected to do over 40M. It's coming in at 29M and the worldwide looks less than anticipated too. This despite decent reviews and the return of Hamilton. I think the audience has just gotten tired of time traveling movies and Endgame, despite its great success, had a negative effect on Terminator.

That's just my own opinion, but I do think its a valid point. I like Science Fiction, but no matter how unbelievable the premise, if you set rules and stick to them, it can be believed. If you have rules that can be broken at any time, what's to believe?

No big spoiler that Terminator Dark Fate starts off establishing a different timeline that veers away from anything that went on after Terminator 2. And we also know that anything done in Dark Fate can be just as easily erased the next time around. Right there I have lost interest in the story because the story doesn't really matter.

With Endgame a similar thing happened for me. I enjoyed the set up film much better than the resolution one. Once it was obvious that the remedy was time travel and go back to undo what was done, it just became repetitive action scenes for me. Frankly, whenever Downey Jr. and ScarJo need the money, they can come back too. Big Grin Anything is possible when you take the old let's go back in time option and audiences are smart enough to know it.

For all the success of Endgame, how many people say it's the best SciFi film, or superhero film or even action film they ever saw? I haven't heard anyone say that. Lots of people said they enjoyed it or liked it and a couple even loved it, but no one I spoke to thought it was the best movie they have ever seen.

I think it's because they cheated, just as Terminator has cheated and continues to cheat. And how many times can you have open ended endings and feel like you have seen anything or even care for the characters fate when it will all change as soon as there's a next one.

Posts: 10366 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting. . . I have interest in seeing a lot of these films that aren't doing well -- like Terminator and want to see the film, but I have absolutely no desire to sit in a movie theater anymore.

For the cost of going to the movies it's just not that great of an experience at any of the theaters around me.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I wanted to go see "Godzilla" in theaters last summer but never got around to it. I will go see "Star Wars" next month. I still like going to theaters and getting popcorn but I don't do it often. That's $20 I'm not spending on cards.

I saw "Isle of Dogs" last year in one of those theaters with the adjustable seats. My seat was too comfortable. I fell asleep twice and I liked the movie.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Interesting. . . I have interest in seeing a lot of these films that aren't doing well -- like Terminator and want to see the film, but I have absolutely no desire to sit in a movie theater anymore.

For the cost of going to the movies it's just not that great of an experience at any of the theaters around me.

Posts: 4357 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I did the Regal unlimited for myself, wife and daughter this summer. We paid around 60 bucks for all 3 of us for 3 months and saw 7 films x3 x9 ($189US) so we saved a good bit but cancelled it for now since we don't have plans for any movies for a few months. Just something to consider if you plan on several films over a short time span.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Judging by the box office returns this year, they should put the Terminator and Rambo franchises to rest for good.

Also, it appears that people are no longer flocking to see the movies of once A list stars like Brad Pitt and Will Smith, as their appeal seems to be fading.

Posts: 3988 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
I did the Regal unlimited for myself, wife and daughter this summer. We paid around 60 bucks for all 3 of us for 3 months and saw 7 films x3 x9 ($189US) so we saved a good bit but cancelled it for now since we don't have plans for any movies for a few months. Just something to consider if you plan on several films over a short time span.

That's not bad! If the theaters around me were nice I'd consider that.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Also, it appears that people are no longer flocking to see the movies of once A list stars like Brad Pitt and Will Smith, as their appeal seems to be fading.

I would agree on Will Smith. Apart from his Disney Genie, I don't think he's had a winning movie for years. He did that maudlin Seven Pounds film in 2008 and never stopped making flops since. I think it was because he became the Producer and also listens to his wife a lot. Jada is doing what I like to call non-reality reality TV now. I admit I'm not a fan of the entire Smith family, including his social media influencing kids, which has nothing to do with his bad films, but maybe says something about why he keeps picking them.

I tend to go the other way on Brad Pitt. This has been a hot year for him. Ad Astra didn't do great at the box office, but I think it was meant as a prestige film, rather than a block buster, so the good reviews were enough. To name a film Ad Astra from the start, come on, even the title turns them away. Big Grin

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was his hit and again it didn't have to be a huge moneymaker because Tarantino usually isn't. It was a flashy role and brought him back as an action star. Plus he still looks pretty good as compared to some of his peer leading men that are showing their age. I'm not saying his name alone could sell a movie, but I'm not sure it ever really could because he has worked in so many ensemble casts. I do think he is still an A lister and has at least a couple of more good films in him. Just MHO of course.

Posts: 10366 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the last hits Brad Pitt had were "World War Z" in 2013 and "Fury" in 2014.

Since then, he's had "By the Sea", "Allied", and "War Machine", none of which were significant hits.

He's done alot of military films since 2013. Hard to believe that he's 55 years old.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

No big spoiler that Terminator Dark Fate starts off establishing a different timeline that veers away from anything that went on after Terminator 2. And we also know that anything done in Dark Fate can be just as easily erased the next time around. Right there I have lost interest in the story because the story doesn't really matter.

I saw it this weekend and was pretty much annoyed with the whole thing. Including Linda Hamilton.

Not only was the connection between DF and T2 severely hacked but then they end up turning the DF story on it's head between the beginning of the film and the end. James Cameron who has given us some of the strongest female leads in cinema history instead gave us three annoying women leaving the audience trying to determine which one had the most pathetic purpose. I think James knew this because he had to write in some goofy girl power speech about every 20 minutes or so.

Then I had to ponder aging terminators and try and get over that Sarah Connor looks and acts like Smurf from Animal Kingdom. Even some of the special effects don't make any sense.

I wonder if my old Atari will ever turn into an Xbox 1?? Or is that the other way around?

Of course you are not into the film for very long when you realize we are right back to things from the future zapping back to save things from the present. Any points given for originality are pretty much gone in the first 20 minutes. If this is Cameron's plan for Avatar, I think the investors and the studio are not going to be happy.

On the bright side, I did like the bad terminator, kinda wish he would have been allowed to finish his mission.

Posts: 4842 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
My wife and I saw "Dark Fate" this past weekend. After the movie was over, I realized that I really didn't enjoy it very much. As the rest of the evening wore on, I realized that I liked the movie less and less. I finally realized that, of all the Terminator movie variations, "Dark Fate" was my least favorite.

Why? I realized that James Cameron had flipped the proverbial bird to all the fans of the first, two Terminator movies. "I know you've invested time and interest in the stories for the past 35 years, but I'm throwing all of that in the garbage." And while I truly like strong, female characters (Ellen Ripley is my favorite), did you notice that (to avoid spoilers, highlight the rest of this sentence) every male, human character in the movie was killed? Also, Mackenzie Davis was horribly miscast.

There are many other things that turned me off about this movie, but I won't bore you with the details.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
My wife and I saw "Dark Fate" this past weekend. After the movie was over, I realized that I really didn't enjoy it very much. As the rest of the evening wore on, I realized that I liked the movie less and less. I finally realized that, of all the Terminator movie variations, "Dark Fate" was my least favorite.

Why? I realized that James Cameron had flipped the proverbial bird to all the fans of the first, two Terminator movies. "I know you've invested time and interest in the stories for the past 35 years, but I'm throwing all of that in the garbage." And while I truly like strong, female characters (Ellen Ripley is my favorite), did you notice that (to avoid spoilers, highlight the rest of this sentence) every male, human character in the movie was killed? Also, Mackenzie Davis was horribly miscast.

There are many other things that turned me off about this movie, but I won't bore you with the details.

Can't disagree with any of this. Plus having to go through Humvee roll over training before I went to Afghanistan, I had many problems with the damn Dam scene. Wink

Posts: 4842 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am willing to bet that this brand new "Charlie's Angels" film coming this weekend will NOT be a hit.

They had the 2 movies in the early 2000s, but then they tried to do a new TV show in 2011, which was cancelled in less than 2 months.

WHY bother ????

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am willing to bet that this brand new "Charlie's Angels" film coming this weekend will NOT be a hit.

Hard to tell what sells, but I would agree. I think its a matter of being bad or really being a Baywatch type flop.

You aren't supposed to make superficial judgments, but just looking at that mismatched trio lined up in their fighting stances was enough for me anyway. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Look at all of the retro films and TV shows, from the past 10 years, based on old programs, that flopped:

FILMS: Baywatch, CHiPs, Land of the Lost, Three Stooges, probably others

TV: Knight Rider, Charlie's Angels

The only retro TV shows that have been hits are "Hawaii Five-O" and now "Magnum, PI."

And the only retro movies, the 2 "21 Jump Street" films.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at all of the retro films and TV shows, from the past 10 years, based on old programs, that flopped:

The only retro TV shows that have been hits are "Hawaii Five-O" and now "Magnum, PI."

Hehe, if you go back a couple more years 'Doctor Who' made a pretty big/successful comeback on TV Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

The other problem is they change the classification of the show. Chips and Baywatch may of had plenty of things to poke fun of but they were not comedy's. Land of the Lost was a kids show but took itself seriously, it wasn't about the stupid antics of an actor like Will Ferrell but a family lost in pre-history.

Interestingly the two you mention that were hits stuck to their original mood and premise. Not saying this would have made the other films good but it was what most people were expecting to see.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can think of a bunch of other TV shows made into big screen movies back in the 1990s and 2000s that, to my knowledge, were not hits:

The Mod Squad
Car 54, Where Are You ?
McHale's Navy
Bewitched

I guess one exception to the rule was 1993's "The Beverly Hillbillies", which surprisingly was a moderate success.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The Addams Family did enough business to have two live action movies made and this year's animated version has pulled in $157M worldwide. That's #41 on the 2019 list, so probably not considered a hit, but there was a time when $100M looked good.

And there was The Equalizer. Again not smash hits, but two got made. Are we counting Shazam? That did pretty well with 364M worldwide.

Big bombs not mentioned, The Lone Ranger and The Wild, Wild West.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Another two retro TV shows that that didn't become a movie franchise:

I Spy was a bomb, lost lots of money and added to Eddie Murphy's list of disasters.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. actually did make money and was fairly well received. It tried to update the basic spy drama rather than do a full-on comedy. Still they never made another one and you don't hear much about this one anymore.