Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest Films of 2019
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking at the release schedule for Sept to Dec, we have these coming:

IT, Chapter Two
Downton Abbey
Rambo: Last Blood
Joker
Addams Family
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot
Terminator: Dark Fate
Frozen 2
Star Wars IX

Obviously, Star Wars, Frozen, and IT will do well. Which others do you think will be big hits ?

Posts: 3986 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think The Addams Family might do well because it hasn't been done in computer animation, kids always liked it and it will seem familiar for the parents.

The only one from that list that I like is IT. For all those folks who saw the first movie, you kind of have to see the end.

Rambo and Terminator seem like old blood instead of new blood. Downton Abbey as a movie I don't see playing well over here, but much better in the UK. Jay and Silent Bob has a limited, but probably vocal audience. Frozen and Star Wars will take in big money even if they are not up to the titles.

Joker is the Joker in the deck for me. I think it will be too dark and nichy for a wide audience, but then again it might be a masterpiece.

Posts: 10365 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The last RAMBO in 2008 only made 43 M domestically. Will this one, the fifth, do better as it is supposedly the last one ?

And aren't people tired of Terminator ? The last one in 2015 made a mere 89 M in the U.S. Even when they bring Arnold S. back, it does not seem to make a difference. Now this one, # 6, is supposed to be a direct sequel to # 1 and 2, and it ignores # 3 to 5.

Posts: 3986 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not that it will be a blockbuster, but in late Sept you have the SOPRANOS prequel, "The Many Saints of Newark", with Ray Liotta, and a whole host of others.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I want to see "Rambo vs. Alien" and "Terminator vs. Batman." I did like "Alien vs. Predator." Dark Horse Comics already did a "Batman vs. Alien" story as well as a Batman and Tarzan team-up but maybe those are going to be movies in the 2020's.

Yeah, we've reached the point where you can dislike a sequel because it's ignoring a sequel that you like.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
The last RAMBO in 2008 only made 43 M domestically. Will this one, the fifth, do better as it is supposedly the last one ?

And aren't people tired of Terminator ? The last one in 2015 made a mere 89 M in the U.S. Even when they bring Arnold S. back, it does not seem to make a difference. Now this one, # 6, is supposed to be a direct sequel to # 1 and 2, and it ignores # 3 to 5.

Posts: 4356 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I think The Addams Family might do well because it hasn't been done in computer animation,
Er, sorry but that is completely wrong. This latest film is entirely done using 3D computer animation. There isn't a hand drawn frame in the whole production. I take it you meant it isn't photoreal computer animation as seen in the remake of 'The Lion King' ? CG is pretty much standard for all types of animation these days...with the exception of stop-motion such as 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' but even then CG is used to produce immediate playback of frames and to add motion blur and other effects. Heck, even South Park was computer animated.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
I think The Addams Family might do well because it hasn't been done in computer animation,
Er, sorry but that is completely wrong. This latest film is entirely done using 3D computer animation. There isn't a hand drawn frame in the whole production. I take it you meant it isn't photoreal computer animation as seen in the remake of 'The Lion King' ? CG is pretty much standard for all types of animation these days...with the exception of stop-motion such as 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' but even then CG is used to produce immediate playback of frames and to add motion blur and other effects. Heck, even South Park was computer animated.

Sorry, I don't understand the difference you are pointing out. Whether 3D or not, its still computer animation. Or did the joke go over my head? Big Grin

Posts: 10365 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:

Sorry, I don't understand the difference you are pointing out. Whether 3D or not, its still computer animation. Or did the joke go over my head? Big Grin
Hehe, now I'm confused. You said: 'might do well because it hasn't been done in computer animation'. The new Addams Family film is entirely computer animated. It isn't live-action, stop-motion or hand-drawn traditional animation. It has all been created on a computer, so there wasn't a joke for you to miss Smile. How did you think it is/was being made ?

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think The Addams Family might do well because it hasn't been done in computer animation, kids always liked it and it will seem familiar for the parents.

Now I get it, you thought I was saying its not in computer animation. That's my entire post above. I was saying that prior Addams were not done in computer animation and this one might do well because it is something different. I guess I should have added one word, it hasn't been done in computer animation BEFORE. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Now I get it, you thought I was saying its not in computer animation. That's my entire post above. I was saying that prior Addams were not done in computer animation and this one might do well because it is something different. I guess I should have added one word, it hasn't been done in computer animation BEFORE. Big Grin
Ah, now I understand. Hangs head in shame and walks quietly off to a corner before placing dunce's cap on head Twak Been a long week or some other feeble excuse Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I have tickets for the Jay and Silent Bob tour...QA and photo op with Kevin and Jason.

So I guess I am going to that one. Wink

Posts: 4840 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Except for Hobbs and Shaw, which has at least broken 100M, the films released in August 2019 don't seem to be doing very much of anything.

Maybe it's me, but I can't remember a year where so few movies even interested me enough to say I'll wait for the DVD. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Hobbs & Shaw" is currently the # 13 movie of the year in terms of domestic gross. However, I am sure it will be knocked down a few notches in the months ahead, when IT Part 2, Frozen 2, and Star Wars come out.

I think it is safe to say that when 2019 ends, Disney and Marvel with have 8 of the 10 biggest films of the year. Nobody will even come close to that. Quite an accomplishment.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So this week 3 bigger movies come out together, although all with different audiences.

Rambo Last Blood is getting retched reviews. I can see why Sly wanted another turn at it, but not to go out this way.

Both Downton Abbey and Ad Astra are splitting the raves. I still think Downton will attract mainly the people who watched the series, but that will certainly be enough in some places.

Ad Astra is harder because it cost a fair amount of money to make and people might think it's a different story than what it is because it stars Brad Pitt. This is more like Apocalypse Now in space than Star Wars. Not sure the trailers won't lead some people to be disappointed. This is more akin to the Martian, which I liked for the first and last 15 minutes. Unfortunately I had to sit through the 2 hours or so in between. Big Grin

I think Downton Abbey will take the weekend.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw downton wife dragged me along, if you like the series it will satisfy the last hour was a bit carry on downton for me

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like neither Rambo (20 M gross so far, cost 50 M to make) nor Ad Astra with Brad Pitt are hits. 20 M gross on the latter, as well.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So the media has seized upon the complaints/concerns over Joker ahead of its premiere here and I'm not sure if that will hurt or help the box office. The Joker has obviously been in a number of movies and played by a host of well known actors. I'm surprised no one found him inappropriate before, but than again he was regarded as a comic book villain. Although Ledger's version was not far off from this one, who is portrayed as quite real and a sympathetic mass murderer.

To be honest, there is probably a lot of people who will take offense, because there is a lot of people who always want to take offense to many things. And maybe they should and maybe they shouldn't, but why wait till a couple of weeks before release to hit the press? It kind of feels like a stunt and I don't know which side thinks it's good for them. Big Grin

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I saw Downton Abbey last week. My wife and I are fans of the show, so the movie did not disappoint. I would have liked to have seen more of a couple of characters but you can only give each character so much time in a two hour movie without having everyone run over each other!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Finally saw IT chapter two. Basically an excellent movie. I did think it went on a bit long though. Could have consolidated a few things and cut a good 30 minutes from it.

I'm off today, might go check out Hobbs and Shaw or Hustlers.

I think the last Rambo I actually saw in the theaters was the second one back in 85. Big Grin

Posts: 4840 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like "Gemini Man" with Will Smith flopped. Grossed 20 M so far, cost almost 140 M to make. Maybe his time as an A list star has passed

"Addams Family", only 30 M so far

"Rambo" has not been successful.

"Ad Astra" is doing much better overseas. Has made less than 50 M here in the states.