Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest Films of 2019
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
As one month is in, time to change to 2019.

True to the January movie dumping ground, there doesn't seem to be any big hits that will register for the year yet.

Currently top 5 2019 films domestically are:
Glass
The Upside
Escape Room
A Dog's Way Home
Dragon Ball Super

I think only Glass came out with bigger expectations and it opened high only to quickly fall off when word of mouth got out. That's exactly why the studio released it in January. Big Grin

Hopefully February's releases will be better, but they are usually light in that month too.

I continue to wonder why anyone keeps going to anything written by M. Night when he had 2 good films and 1 OK one years ago and has been pretty much unwatchable ever since in MHO.

Posts: 10368 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Glass and the Upside. Both, in my opinion, good films.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Saw The Mule & The Green Book this week, both enjoyable films.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Upcoming movies, which will likely be hits:

Lego Movie 2 (Feb 8)

Captain Marvel (March 8)

Dumbo (live action Disney) (March 29)

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Been a fairly quiet start to 2019 movies so far, but the 3rd and final film for the How To Train Your Dragon trilogy just opened without much fanfare and took in 55M this past weekend. This movie has been held off a long time and opening in February it looked like it was going to be a dud, but reports are quite opposite. It got very good reviews and audience approval.

I know its an animated franchise, but it could be that Hidden World does a rare feat. It actually wraps up a trilogy in a satisfactory manner, while staying true to what came before and has 3 decent movies. That is a tough thing to do and its hard for me to think of a trilogy that has done it all the way through the arc.

Posts: 10368 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And so far, Lego Movie 2 has under performed

The first Lego film did 257 M in the U.S. alone, while Lego Batman did 175 M

So far, this one has grossed a mere 83 M

However, it beats Lego Ninjago, which made only 59 M in the U.S.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Saw Alita Battle Angel. A Visually stunning trip with stale dialog and quite a bit of lifting from other films.

So basically typical James Cameron.

Just don't see how he plans to stretch Avatar into 4 more films.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
US is opening this weekend and by all accounts it may even give Captain Marvel a run for it's money. It is getting excellent reviews for what is being advertised as a straight up horror film. However if you are a horror buff, or even a science fiction fan, I don't think this one will keep its surprise for long. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
US did indeed easily beat Captain Marvel this past weekend domestically 71M to 34M. Captain Marvel has racked up 321M world wide so far, but US was made for around 20M and has not been released much internationally yet. So which one is the better bet over all? I would argue US because I always play the percentages.

Dumbo opens Friday and no doubt dominates them all. It does look as though March has been a big month for 2019 films.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I fearlessly predict that Star Wars Episode IX will outdraw all of the above. Smokin'

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
I think Avengers Endgame will be the biggest film of 2019.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
I think Avengers Endgame will be the biggest film of 2019.

I think you are probably correct. Star Wars will be big but as a franchise it is losing some steam.

Avengers will top both Domestic and International box offices. Especially after the monster response for Capt Marvel vice the meh world of Solo.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Everyone is geared up for Endgame, no doubt about it. The only problem I can foresee is what happens to the Marvel universe afterwards if every movie has to try and top it. I can't see where they will be able to do it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is this the last Avengers movie ? I thought I read someplace that the actors who play Capt. America, Thor, and Iron Man said that they're contracts are up, and at least 1 or 2 of them said they won't continue beyond this one.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Watch out for Frozen 2 also. The little kiddies will be out in large numbers to see that one. Smile

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Toy Story 4 is out in June

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Is this the last Avengers movie ? I thought I read someplace that the actors who play Capt. America, Thor, and Iron Man said that they're contracts are up, and at least 1 or 2 of them said they won't continue beyond this one.

Yes, as I understand it, there is going to be a shift. Which is fine because that is what comic books do.

12 years for RDJ to keep up the crazy work out schedule and body shape has got to be something you eventually get tired of.

He plays the part so well it is just difficult to imagine anyone else in the role.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now that Disney has purchased 20th Century Fox, Disney will pretty much have ALL of the big hits of 2019:

Capt. Marvel, Dumbo, Avengers, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, Star Wars IX, the 2 upcoming X-Men movies, Terminator 6, etc.

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Now that Disney has purchased 20th Century Fox, Disney will pretty much have ALL of the big hits of 2019:

Capt. Marvel, Dumbo, Avengers, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, Star Wars IX, the 2 upcoming X-Men movies, Terminator 6, etc.

I wonder if New Mutants will get released or get regulated to DVD or shelved.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Also, Disney has the live action Aladdin and The Lion King coming in May and July.