Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Sarah Paulson plays Ratched
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sarah Paulson plays Ratched
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
New Netflix series based on the origin of the character fires up on 18 Sept.

From some of the previews I have seen she certainly looks the part.

She has autographed cards from both The Spirit and American Horror Story.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Between Netflix, Showtime, Amazon, FX, Hulu, CBS All Access, add your choice of any of the streaming channels, the shows that they have running for 6 - 12 episodes each are sometimes very interesting and a lot of the times ridiculous. They have this niche for "psychological thrillers" that is very broad and usually graphic and I wonder exactly who the audience is for many of these shows. I wouldn't want to ever meet some of these viewers for sure. Big Grin

Anyway, they are also fond of origin stories because the producers perceive an established fanbase, while not having to be creative enough to make a new character. However the bar for known characters is getting pretty low. Wink

How many people have wondered what Nurse Ratched was like in her younger years? The ads call her an iconic villain, but I wonder how many people under 25 would even know the name Ratched? How many non-film students even saw Cuckoo's Nest at all?

It probably doesn't matter because this is going to turn out to be another dark tale where evil triumphs and we are supposed to find vicarious pleasure in watching a deplorable human being. Sounds like perfect entertainment for 2020. Big Grin I think I'll pass, although Paulson will probably be good in it.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Well, the war for content began the day they invented a TV with 300 channels. Psychological thrillers are generally cheaper to make although, the production quality on this one looks pretty good.

I guess for most they will binge on this and then move on to something else, I think I would be more worried about viewers who watch ID or Jerry Springer every day. Wink

I think as a character there is an interesting tale that could be told about where Nurse Ratched came from. Unfortunately, I think this new series will take her to places no one would have even dared to conceive of watching her in 1975. I will give it a shot as I hope it will be good but it won't be the first time the makers of AHS have pushed things too far if it isn't.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Medication Time. Dance

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
I'm not a bid fan of many origin stories (Either new movies or mini-series). After watching the originals, If I even think about it, I get a vision in my head of how things might of been. Then the origin stories come along and completely messes with my thoughts.

Most of the times, the origin stories ruin things and make the audience get mad.

How many people had an idea in there mind of what the Clone Wars must of been like, that were kind of messed with once the New Trilogy was released.

While I actually likes parts of the New Trilogy Movies, it was the new characters, and new locations that interested me, much more than when they tried to show us their vision of things that were better left to the imagination.

I agree that most of the time, its just laziness and the inability to come up with something new.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Bruce Springsteen had a song in the 80's, titled "57 Channels (and Nothin' on)" and now we have over 300. There are more stories being told and some of them are good and we are missing a few of them but a lot of them didn't get the green light in the past for a reason.

You're right. Psychological thrillers don't need a lot of special effects and no foreign country shoots.

I knew the name but couldn't place the movie. My brother, who's just a couple of years younger than me, couldn't recall the movie either. Even when I heard it was actually "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest," I wasn't sure that was right. It was acclaimed in its time but the time for an origin story would have been in the 90's when the character was fresh in cultural memory. It would be like making a "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" sequel now...

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Well, the war for content began the day they invented a TV with 300 channels. Psychological thrillers are generally cheaper to make although, the production quality on this one looks pretty good.

I guess for most they will binge on this and then move on to something else, I think I would be more worried about viewers who watch ID or Jerry Springer every day. Wink

I think as a character there is an interesting tale that could be told about where Nurse Ratched came from. Unfortunately, I think this new series will take her to places no one would have even dared to conceive of watching her in 1975. I will give it a shot as I hope it will be good but it won't be the first time the makers of AHS have pushed things too far if it isn't.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched the first episode and were underwhelmed. My wife has watched many of the seasons of AHS, I have watched 3 of them. They got some great visual shots but I predicted something in the first 15 minutes that came true and we both said can you jump the shark on the first episode?

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I quit AHS mid-four. The carnival one. One of the reasons was a two headed Paulson. I'm not a fan. Even when she was on Deadwood.

A show about the origins of a mean nurse doesn't much grab me either.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yeah we plowed through it til the end. It wasn't as harsh as I was anticipating but I think the AHS writers are getting too predictable. The whole thing felt more like a missed opportunity to me.