Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Vintage PC Games & Compatibility
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage PC Games & Compatibility
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Getting into The X-Files lately and I've found reasonably priced official video games from the franchise.

The video game platform ones are easy to ascertain compatibility with a working equivalent console (eg Playstation 2 console for PS2 game).

But for the PC desk top game is it still compatible with modern laptops or gaming PCs these days with technology having moved on? The games were designed with older software and might not be able to process at the same higher tech speed of modern computer processors? Confused

Not as much a computer and technology wiz as I'd like to be. But anyone who gets what I mean and could explain to me it'd be appreciated. Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No tech expert, but I know that PC games I have run on my older systems have not worked when my operating systems have upgraded. Can't say about Apple, but Microsoft has been a pain since they retired Windows XP. Windows 7 got better, but Windows 10 is a nightmare. Depending on the game and the age, it may not be compatible. I had a great PC Scramble game that I ran on XP and Scramble never came back for the next systems. I have a great chess game that runs on 7, but is unavailable for 10.

They don't want you to keep the old, they want you to buy new. Which I wouldn't mind doing, except that the new always seems to have a ton of stuff you don't need and what you do want is way inferior to the old game.

Actually they want you to rent or subscribe to a lot of these games. You don't really own them, just use some of them.

Not trying to be a clog in the wheel of progress, just stating a fact. Big Grin

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replying and confirming my suspicions.

Yeah sometimes can find uploaded versions which are 'playable' but most times the only way to even 'see' these games are vintage videos or clips on YouTube.

I know what you mean about companies wanting you to subscribe or payout £30+ for a digital game.

Shame. I'll try GOG or somewhere but even they only have the super popular retro games.

And even then it depends what licences they can acquire as they sell digital copies for fair even bargain prices.

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post