Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action Comics (Superman)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
DC Comics is releasing Action Comics issue #1050 on Dec 28 and it has 28 covers !

One of the variant covers is 1 per 1050 copies !

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com...1/action-comics-1050

Posts: 4009 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Pop Quiz! How do we sell 29,400 comics to a market of only 10,000 people?

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have already seen the 1 in 500 variant sell for $400 and the 1 in 1050 sell for $ 900.

Crazy stuff. Marvel has been doing this, as well, for the past few years. I have seen 1 in 500 and 1 in 1000 variants on several issue of the Hulk, for example.

Posts: 4009 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I have already seen the 1 in 500 variant sell for $400 and the 1 in 1050 sell for $ 900.

Crazy stuff. Marvel has been doing this, as well, for the past few years. I have seen 1 in 500 and 1 in 1000 variants on several issue of the Hulk, for example.

That's because 3000 of the people get there first and then flip it to the other 7000. Wink

I think my first experience with variant covers was when Spiderman and Xmen were released in the early 90's. Seems that the variant market has been playing games ever since. I have even seen covers based on the distributor or large comic store.

Not sure what long term value equals out to seeing that all of them grade in some range of near mint and up. So much of the manufactured rarity has a subjective feel to it.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago there was an issue of Amazing Spider Man that had about 275 different covers, the only difference being that each cover had the logo of a specific comic store on it, from the U.S. or overseas. There was an article on line about how some collector tracked them all down, although he had difficulty getting 1 from Japan and 2 from certain comic stores in the mid west which closed down even though the variants were printed for them

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
The madness of us collectors huh? Drool We tend to go a little crazy for the Japan items. The lettering suckers me in every time...I have no clue what it says but I love it.

Still it seems to me that long term value is based on No 1's, first appearances and key issues and only if those appearances go on to be popular. Key issues are generally not decided on until well after it is released.

I have to admit I have not paid much attention to the variant cover market but I would think for the most part the same rules apply.

I would think there are far more worthless variant cover issues than valuable ones.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the article on the guy who found all 145 variants (not 275) on Amazing Spider-Man # 666 back in 2011.

http://www.spidermanfan.com/20...ull-set-in-hand.html

Read how he got the one from the store in Japan

http://www.spidermanfan.com/20...zing-spider-man.html

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So all that was back in 2011. Anybody know what Andrew Hamlin did with them? What has happened to other Superman variants and the exclusive group of comic collectors who chase them? Are they like the hobby version of the Illuminati? Big Grin

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post