Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indiana Jones News
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
This was supposed to start filming in April or this summer, for a 2021 release, but now Variety is reporting that Steven Spielberg will NOT be directing, and they are looking for a NEW director.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Harrison Ford, age 78, stated in an interview the other day that they are about to begin filming for a summer 2022 release.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This just started filming in the UK.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Antonio Banderas has joined the cast in an as yet undisclosed role.

This could be shaping up to be quite the geriatric slugfest. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It looks like this one takes place late 60's-1970.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe that Indy 5 could be worse than the incoherent waste of money and actors that was "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". Big Grin

I don't think that Ford and Waller-Bridge make for much screen chemistry and time traveling portals sounds like Doctor Who, but Disney knows that it will make back enough money on its platforms even if it stinks. It's not like they can make another one with Ford. And it looked like they were trying to pass it on to Shia LaBeouf 15 years ago before all his issues became apparent, so why would Waller-Bridge fare any better?

It might work to Disney's advantage for people to expect this film to be terrible. Then they still will see it and mediocre will seem like an improvement. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wasn't she also involved in the writing of the last Bond film, as well, and that one received mixed reviews.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Probably can't blame her too much for "No Time To Die". She was brought in to help out on the writing. She is best known for creating and starring in her "Fleabag" TV series and show running the first season of "Killing Eve", along with other smaller acting roles.

"Fleabag" was one of those semi-comedy dramas with lots of odd and unpleasant characters that critics love. I couldn't watch it for long. "Killing Eve" was at its best in season one, but they usually are at the start. I don't know why she dropped it.

Waller-Bridge wants to come off as edgy and you either think she's clever and funny in that non-funny way, or you don't get the attraction at all. She was the flavor of the month for a while, but she's cooled off. Maybe because she got stuck in this movie that is in limbo.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And apparently Disney is working on an Indy TV show, also. Here is one of several articles.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/lat...-developed-by-disney

I recall very well the "Young Indiana Jones" TV series which lasted for 1 1/2 years on ABC way back in 1992-1993. Many did not feel that it translated well into a weekly show. And then after it was cancelled, new episodes later showed up on cable between 1994 and 1996.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
This may not be good

https://www.express.co.uk/ente...Phoebe-Waller-Bridge

Everybody hated Crystal Skull, I thought it was great. Shia isn't that annoying in it - people had a hard time separating his character from his real-life antics. The monkey scene is the only clunky part of the film.

People also cited "UFOs? Come on!" as why they didn't like it, that it was too far-fetched. OK, so everything supernatural that happened in the previous Indy films were totally acceptable? Roll Eyes Time travel is just as plausible as anything else in Indy films. I'm excited for wherever (or whenever) this takes me.

As far as Phoebe goes, the only thing I know her from is the voice of Lando's droid in Solo, which again, everybody hates that film, but I love it. It's one I can watch over and over, but I will say her droid character is the only part of the film I do not like.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
People also cited "UFOs? Come on!" as why they didn't like it, that it was too far-fetched. OK, so everything supernatural that happened in the previous Indy films were totally acceptable? Roll Eyes Time travel is just as plausible as anything else in Indy films.

I have to watch "Crystal Skull" again some time. I don't remember all the reasons why I thought it was awful, but I did. The UFO at the end was a minor issue. The whole movie didn't work for me, and the actors looked like they were in different stories. I don't know what Cate Blanchett thought she was playing, but she made for a terrible villain, and if you don't have a good villain in an action film the hero has nothing to defeat.

The story was all over the place too. It was more a comedy than anything else, with some scenes being serious and some scenes played for laughs. So the UFO just got thrown in and it made as much sense as surviving an atom bomb in a freezer. Roll Eyes

As for time travel, I hate time travel stories. They are lazy for the writers. They have ever shifting rules. They never make any sense if you really try to consider the ramifications of various people changing past events that must always have some effect on the present and future. Once you accept time travel as a device in any story or film, anything goes. Anything can be changed. Why are you watching it when nothing that happens matters since it can always be undone?

I can accept that there might be a UFO out there. Lots of planets, why should we be so superior as to be the only race of beings? But time travel is a concept I can't accept. It would throw existence into a consistent loop of recreating itself, no lives could be lived untouched, and no one would know it. As if things weren't pointless enough. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
As for time travel, I hate time travel stories. They are lazy for the writers. They have ever shifting rules.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen the original 1960 George Pal version of 'The Time Machine' ? No changing history in that one to worry about Smile If I could own just one significant film prop, then the time machine Rod Taylor travelled in would be it Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes I have, a classic movie that I have rewatched many times. I also like "Time After Time", where the time travelers are H. G. Wells and Jack the Ripper.

For me the difference is that they went into the future in both stories, so they weren't mucking around with past events that were being undone to create different outcomes than had already happened.

I mean just look what happened in the Terminator series with characters jumping back and forth. For one good movie you could overlook the fact that someone who wasn't born could send his father back in time to get him born, but then they kept it up and it became just stupid and boring with everyone dropping in. Same thing with Marvel and the Avengers and "Endgame". There was no solution, they lost. So let's go back in time and fix it. Like that's possible when the past is carved in stone, literally. I really don't mind suspending belief for a good movie, but it has to have some consistent logic, or it becomes an easy cheat. To me time travel is an easy cheat. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes I have, a classic movie that I have rewatched many times. I also like "Time After Time", where the time travelers are H. G. Wells and Jack the Ripper.
Agreed, an excellent movie. I remember the first time I saw that was at a science fiction convention. The plot sounded so ridiculous that I just had to watch it to see how bad it would be. For those who don't know, the plot is that H G Wells has a party to show some of his friends the time machine he has built in his cellar. Unfortunately, it turns out one of them is Jack the Ripper who steals the time machine and escapes into the future (i.e. present day which was 1979 when the film was made). H G Wells follows him to save what he believed would be a utopian future from the ravages of Jack the Ripper. Watch the film to find out how it all turns outSmile I have both 'Time After Time' and 'The Time Machine' on blu-ray so I can watch them again whenever I need some light relief.

quote:
For me the difference is that they went into the future in both stories, so they weren't mucking around with past events that were being undone to create different outcomes than had already happened.

I mean just look what happened in the Terminator series with characters jumping back and forth. For one good movie you could overlook the fact that someone who wasn't born could send his father back in time to get him born, but then they kept it up and it became just stupid and boring with everyone dropping in. Same thing with Marvel and the Avengers and "Endgame". There was no solution, they lost. So let's go back in time and fix it. Like that's possible when the past is carved in stone, literally. I really don't mind suspending belief for a good movie, but it has to have some consistent logic, or it becomes an easy cheat. To me time travel is an easy cheat. Smile
To a great extent, I agree with you. Though my problem with Endgame was that I was OK with the idea of going back in time to retrieve the Infinity Stones so they could bring back the missing 50% of all living things that had been clicked out of existence. Where it went downhill was when Thanos came through to the future and messed everything up Smile Aside from that tiny little problem, I have to admit I enjoyed the film.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are some good time travel movies out there.
Primer
Safety Not Guaranteed
Timecop
Déjà Vu
Predestination

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
From that list I only saw Timecop, maybe because I avoid the genre, but I'll check them out.

One more that you can't help but like is "Back to the Future".

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for time travel, I hate time travel stories. They are lazy for the writers. They have ever shifting rules. They never make any sense if you really try to consider the ramifications of various people changing past events that must always have some effect on the present and future. Once you accept time travel as a device in any story or film, anything goes. Anything can be changed. Why are you watching it when nothing that happens matters since it can always be undone?

Find better writers. Big Grin A well-written time travel story will have a pretty definitive resolution, where time travel is no longer possible. Otherwise, you're right - everything can always be fixed (or made worse) with time travel!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see that Harrison Ford is the star of the upcoming Western mini-series "1923" with former James Bond, Timothy Dalton, now age 76, as the villain.

Ford previously starred with 2 other Bonds, Daniel Craig in "Cowboys and Aliens", and of course, Sean Connery in Indy 3.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The trailer is out, but we won't see #5 until June 30th, 2023. And it's "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny" from now on.

For some reason that reminds me of the "The Golden Compass", and let's hope it does better than that one. Wink