Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor.
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Still think they got lazy and had a director that didn't understand 3D.

I regard 3D as a gimmick. I'd say that I've seen it work well in a couple of scenes in a couple of movies, the rest ranges from OK, to So-So, to just distracting. I would prefer the normal version over any 3D version of anything.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Still think they got lazy and had a director that didn't understand 3D.
That would cover about 98% of all directors then, maybe 99% of those who work in TV Big Grin

Seriously, I have watched about half of the programme in 3D on my home TV. So far, I'm very impressed with what I've seen. The 3D isn't used as a gimmick with bits being pushed out of the screen to say 'Hey look...it's in 3D', rather the 3D effect has had the correct feature of drawing me into the different scenes. One very effective piece being viewing the painting in the British Museum where I felt drawn first into the museum and then into the painting. Someone got this idea right Thumb Up

I get the impression this programme was actually shot in 3D rather than being post-processed like most 3D films.

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
I loved "the five ish Doctors", excellent.

About Chris E, he may not have been asked, or offered and rejected. John Barrowman wasn't asked yet all know he will always make time for Dr Who.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember reading or hearing that it was actually shot in 3D because the cameras were cumbersome and not easy to operate.

Regarding Christopher Eccleston, again I read or heard that discussions with Steven Moffat regarding his appearance in the 50th celebration episode broke down.

Interestingly IMDB quotes that only 3 doctors recorded new stuff (David Tennant, Matt Smith and Tom Baker)with all the rest appearing with old footage.

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:

Interestingly IMDB quotes that only 3 doctors recorded new stuff (David Tennant, Matt Smith and Tom Baker)with all the rest appearing with old footage.

Besides the fact that PBS showed mainly the Tom Baker years in my youth, this little tidbit just goes to show that the 4th Doctor is still in my eyes -the coolest doctor!

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wish they involved more companions and Doctors but I guess you can't have everything. If you didn't see the 3-D theatre event the best part was the bumpers before it with the Sontaran + both Doctors plus the behind the scenes footage at the end. The theatre I SAW IT IN WAS SOLD OUT-FULLY PACKED. Glad I bought my ticket early.
Maybe this will encourage the BBC to make a full blown Doctor Who film.

This is actually coming out on DVD here in the USA on December 3rd-just in time for Christmas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FRANK AMICO,

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:

Regarding Christopher Eccleston, again I read or heard that discussions with Steven Moffat regarding his appearance in the 50th celebration episode broke down.

Of course again could have been down to either party that talks broke down. Sometimes it's the actor and sometimes it's the writer.

I just don't like all the hate against Chris E when no-one knows the facts.

I can tell you, after not signing through the mail for several years after Dr Who he is now fab about it Smile Not like a much loved Brit oscar winner actor who presents himself as a nice guy. But has his secretary sign all pictures sent to him, poor fans getting them back think they are real Frown

How an actor deals with their fan mail speaks volumes and Chris E is great Thumb Up

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post