Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cory Monteith Dead at 31
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
Sorry to hear that Glee star Cory Monteith passed away at 31 years of age. Drugs are suspected because he had an addiction and was in rehab earlier this year. I hope they find out it was a natural cause, just for the sake of friends and family. RIP.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
This is a crying shame. The people who knew and worked with him seemed to genuinely like him, and just "Google" some pictures of the guy and he was always smiling. He admitted to battling demons, and while they might've got the upper hand in the end (we don't know yet), at least some of that happiness he showed had to be real. I hope the majority of it was.

I watched the first couple of seasons of Glee and he ran some solid scenes. I wouldn't characterize him as anywhere near the best singer on the show and he wasn't supposed to be really, but his earnestness went a long way towards selling the songs he sang just as well as the more traditionally gifted vocalists did.

Very sorry for his friends, family, and all of the fans of "Glee". Rest in Peace, Cory, and farewell, Finn. That show can never be quite the same again, and I think glee will be a very tough emotion for anyone connected to the show to muster for a while, and rightly so.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
Angel RIP Finn Hudson Angel
Frown

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cee_Jay
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear and a shock. Love the show and it will never be the same without him. R.I.P.

Posts: 756 | Location: NRW, Germany | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Death confirmed coming from a mixture of heroin and alcohol. Nothing good to say about it, so I won't. Shake Head

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I heard a TV newscast where his cause of death was attributed to a tragic accident.

Now I need someone to explain how use of street heroin + alcohol can be accurately described as an accident?!

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
OK.It would be that he accidentally took too much heroin. Millions of people use heroin every day without dying, as they don't take too much at once.

There are car accidents that aren't exactly accidents. If you are driving with your headlights off at 100mph on the wrong side of the freeway, you are probably going to die, but it's still technically an accident once it happens unless you were specifically trying to kill yourself.

Intent goes a long way to determining whether something was an "accident" or not.

We'll never know if Monteith was trying to commit suicide, but it seems likely he was not since he still had some options in life, plus it doesn't appear there was any note left. In this case, the overdose was likely was an accident, in that he probably didn't mean to kill himself.

But he did kill himself, and quite efficiently, he was obviously dead when the maid there to clean his room discovered him.

Stupid? Tragic? Inevitable? Selfish? Misguided? All of that and more, but really the way someone else views it is more about that person than the actual person who died, since when that happens, one surrenders at that moment all of their own opinions as to what means what. It really is a matter of perspective and past experience that determines how you see an event like this.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Fooling around with heroin is about as dangerous as it gets. You can drink heavily for thirty years and it will probably kill you eventually, but with heroin it takes just one time, any time.

The mixture may have been too pure, or he may have lowered his tolerance in rehab, so what he thought was a usual dose was now too high for him. It was an accident, but it was a foreseeable one and this turnstile rehab they do doesn't work.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are car accidents that aren't exactly accidents. If you are driving with your headlights off at 100mph on the wrong side of the freeway, you are probably going to die, but it's still technically an accident once it happens unless you were specifically trying to kill yourself.Intent goes a long way to determining whether something was an "accident" or not.

Tks for these thoughtful replies... Now I see how his death could be described as an accident.

And yes, definitely a forseeable accident!

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post