Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    TWIN PEAKS to return in 2016
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TWIN PEAKS to return in 2016
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted
Not a remake! Not a reboot! This is Season 3, taking place 25 years after season 2 ended! Existing story threads will be continued! The old cast, most of whom are still around, will almost certainly return! David Lynch himself to direct all 9 episodes! They will air on Showtime so none of the usual network TV censorship B.S.!
Does the unusual use (by me anyway) of these multiple exclamation points indicate my level of excitement regarding this matter?!

How about now?!!!

How about now?!!!!!!!

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/ne...Wf2ePDRUfmgAn87WwOZ_

Please, please, please let Breygent get this license for new Twin Peaks cards. Tom, you've worked with the same company (Paramount) in the past on the "Dexter" sets with excellent results. Please inquire about this license. This show has a lot of fans.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Awesome news! Maybe I'll eat a piece of pie to celebrate Wink

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
Better make that cherry pie and a damn fine cup of coffee! Big Grin

~Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I'm only just getting around to watching the 2 original seasons now on Netflix. I'm liking it, though it is a bit strange, especially the opening of season 2 with Cooper and the waiter lol

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
I'm only just getting around to watching the 2 original seasons now on Netflix. I'm liking it, though it is a bit strange, especially the opening of season 2 with Cooper and the waiter lol

Twin Peaks is an acquired taste. Some people liked it as a way of saying they didn't want an ordinary TV show, especially in the first season.

But least face it, it lasted only two seasons. There were always a lot more people that didn't understand it and didn't care about it, than those that did. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Twin Peaks is an acquired taste. Some people liked it as a way of saying they didn't want an ordinary TV show, especially in the first season.

But least face it, it lasted only two seasons. There were always a lot more people that didn't understand it and didn't care about it, than those that did. Wink

Yes, I was surprised that it only went 2 seasons as I had always heard of the series, so I had expected it to have been a longer running series.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was also a full-length R-Rated feature film called "TWIN PEAKS Fire Walk With Me" that was released theatrically and well after the series ended, but in typical Twin Peaks fashion, it didn't resolve the dangling plot threads (including a HUGE one) left over at the end of season 2 that it could have, but was instead a prequel which showed the last few days of the life of Laura Palmer, whose murder kicked off the dark mystery at the heart of the Twin Peaks series. Hopefully, the new series will pick up right where Season 2 left off, but it is "Twin Peaks", so you never know.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
The new series is intended to pick up 25 years later. Mark Frost has said that he is going to be writing a book that will fill in some of the time gap and should come out around the same time as the new show.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It works out perfectly actually, since there's a scene in the original series that jumped ahead 25 years (from 1990 so 2015, around when the new series is due). That said, I'll say no more. As much as I like discussing subjects I enjoy, "Twin Peaks" is an oddity for me in that I don't like to talk about anything that happens on the show or read other people's opinions of it. I've always thought talking about that series and what the happenings on it mean is a lot like looking at abstract art and trying to argue what that means. In the creator David Lynch's hands, at least, the narrative is totally secondary to the "feeling" the colors, the music, and overall atmosphere is intended to leave the viewer with. And what that is, I also cannot (and would not, if I could) say.

posted Hide Post
Certainly some truth there. The abstract nature of Lynch's work, both on this series and elsewhere, is both part of the appeal and part of the obstacle to the work. I am very interested to see how the new stuff turns out as I am an unabashed fan of the original run.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
From a card collector standpoint, Lynch's well known love of photography has already helped into being the original 1991 Twin Peaks Star Pics card set and a fine 62 card postcard set with the Gold Box DVD in 2007, both of which featured autographed cards, which are pretty much required for modern sets to be feasible for a manufacturer to produce.
Hopefully, he'll want to participate with a set of cards for the new series once the time has come. And while I only tend to dabble in collecting the other go-to modern hit, the sketch card, I'd absolutely love to own a few official original art Twin Peaks cards by any number of the standout artists working in sketch cards today. (Can you say Audrey Horne by Sean Pence, for instance?).
There are so many indelible images that could be beautifully realized on cards, even if they can only do scenes/locations and not characters, as with "Game of Thrones" sketch cards.

The show always was a visual treat. I expect that, at least, from the new Showtime series. It's my understanding Lynch is going to direct all of the episodes, so that's a big upgrade over the original series which was farmed out to other people, talented people sure, but none possibly able to deliver Lynch's positively unique style the exact way he'd have done it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I am no expert on the works of David Lynch and have certainly not seen everything he has done, but I am not a fan of what I have seen. The only movie he has made that I ever liked was Blue Velvet and I saw that many years ago.

Yes he is unconventional and unique, that doesn't automatically equate to visionary and profound. At least not when you can't figure out what the heck is going on.

The notion that something means whatever the viewer interprets it to mean is a cop out. Lynch always struck me as someone who should have been imbedded in those 60's psychedelic movies full of color and sound, but that ultimately made no sense. He has built his reputation on his avant-garde style and it's love it or hate it. I don't think there is anywhere in between. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart, The Elephant Man,and The Straight Story all have traditional narratives and each are superb works of obvious genius. These films alone put Lynch towards the top of the pack of all American filmmakers since movies were invented.

Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, and Lost Highway are terrific looking and all very well acted, but I would characterize them as mind bending for the sake of being mind-bending, so I wouldn't recommend any of those to a casual viewer unfamiliar with his work.

Twin Peaks has a pretty solid narrative structure both the series and the prequel movie, but as I said, I've never cared to discuss it with anyone, because my own opinion of it is the only thing that matters to me. Just about anything else I'm willing to discuss with anyone, but not this. It's mine, and will remain so.

The last of his major movie works, "Dune", I just don't think any one could've pulled off back when he tried, although the Jodorowsky version would've been interesting to say the least. Unfortunately, it wasn't then and probably still isn't financially feasible. There's a superb documentary about the effort, though, and the residual effects its had on other science fiction films just by its existence. It's called "Jodorowsky's Dune" and can be seen currently on the Epix premium channel for anyone who has that, and likely Netflix.

In the modern day, I think it'd be good if Peter Jackson turned his attention to "Dune", not that he's done with Lord of the Rings and Hobbit. It would be a worthy follow up, and if anyone could pull off such an epic with such rabid fans of the source material to contend with, it's Jackson as he's proven with LOTR.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I like talking movies with you CPF because you know your stuff and have very definite ideas about art and films. Overall we seem to mostly agree, but when we disagree it is poles apart. Big Grin Case in point here.

Changing gears, I really can't see any director wanting to touch Dune again. For what reason? Lynch's Dune was a mess, not entirely his fault given the nature of the material, but still a mess. Some fantastic books can not be translated to the screen and are basically unfilmable. Take Cloud Atlas as a more recent example. There are too many characters and too many serious underlying religious and social themes. You can pull it off in a 900 page novel that has two sequels, but not in a 110 minute semi-adventure movie. All you get is talking heads trying to relate back story while the supposed action goes on.

Jackson already did King Kong and if he didn't regret it, he should have. Dune has had at least two movies and one mini-series done on it. The story is very well known to anyone who might be interested. Parts of it have been "borrowed" in several other works. I see no chance of anyone trying for a better version again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Changing gears, I really can't see any director wanting to touch Dune again. For what reason? Lynch's Dune was a mess, not entirely his fault given the nature of the material, but still a mess. Some fantastic books can not be translated to the screen and are basically unfilmable. Take Cloud Atlas as a more recent example. There are too many characters and too many serious underlying religious and social themes. You can pull it off in a 900 page novel that has two sequels, but not in a 110 minute semi-adventure movie. All you get is talking heads trying to relate back story while the supposed action goes on.

Jackson already did King Kong and if he didn't regret it, he should have. Dune has had at least two movies and one mini-series done on it. The story is very well known to anyone who might be interested. Parts of it have been "borrowed" in several other works. I see no chance of anyone trying for a better version again.

That problem with so much of Dune having made its way into other movies is very real, and if it were finally produced in the grandest scale, you'd have people saying, "Yeah, Dune, sure, what a rip-off of Star Wars", haha.

"Cloud Atlas" was a good effort, but I get what you're saying. I'd never read the book, but I did feel like there was just a lot of stuff being left out. The version I saw, though, was pretty close to 3 hours, so there was still a lot of material that made it in.

Peter Jackson's "Kong" I think is actually considered to be aging pretty well. I liked it, but Jackson's devotion to the source material, the original film, caused him to spend a little too much time on Skull Island before getting Kong to Manhattan, and that was a bit much for modern audiences, not getting that he was doing an homage as much as a new movie. (He owns the original miniature Kong doll shown falling from the Empire State Building in the original, for Pete's sake! He is a fan).

Even so, the money-shot, Kong and Ann on the frozen pond, is among the best work Jackson has even done, beautifully realized, as was the moment Kong knew there just was no good way off that building.

Whatever's next for Jackson, I'm excited. I go way back with him having heard of and sought out his earliest efforts "Bad Taste", "Dead Alive", and "Meet The Feebles" on video (thanks "Fangoria" magazine!) before he'd ever had any real mainstream success (the first of which was with the sublime "Heavenly Creatures" and to a lesser degree, the uneven but fun followup to that, "The Frighteners".)

If anyone can (or would be allowed) to extend the original Lord of the Rings Trilogy for another three pictures, it'd have to be Jackson and his writing team. It would have to be with the Tolkien people's permission anyway, but even with that, anyone but Jackson, Walsh, and Bowens would be tarred and feathered for even considering trying. Still, given what they've done to general acclaim thus far, those three could flesh out additional writings and fragments Tolkien left behind and come up with a way to bring back to the screen a lot of those beloved characters. It's a longshot, sure, but not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Halfway through season 2 of Twin Peaks and hilariously David Duchovny appears as a transgendered agent lol. As a fan of The X-Files, I never knew he even guest starred in this show.

Anyway I will be looking forward to the return of the series picking up 25 years later.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How many of the original cast will be returning ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No casting information has been revealed yet, but Kyle MacLaclan (probably spelled wrong) did hint on his Twitter feed that he'd be involved.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Halfway through season 2 of Twin Peaks and hilariously David Duchovny appears as a transgendered agent lol. As a fan of The X-Files, I never knew he even guest starred in this show.

Anyway I will be looking forward to the return of the series picking up 25 years later.

He's Special Agent Dennis (AKA Denise) Lawson.

As it turns out, Duchovny could've played both Mulder AND Scully on "X-Files" a few years later.

Here are the two postcards from the 2007 Gold Box set that show him in character(s), one with fellow Agent Cooper and, the other while, ahem, working undercover for the Man.

The Twin Peaks Star Pics trading card set from 1991 pretty much only included 1st season material, so Duchovny just missed out on that, although I suppose he might not have made it into the set even if it did have Season 2 images, he wasn't really any kind of famous back then, this role notwithstanding.

But by 2007 when the postcards were made, he was easily among the most successful of any of the actors who'd ever appeared on the show in a recurring role or as a guest, so they made sure to get him on a couple of the postcards.

Were there ever another set of Twin Peaks cards with autographs, the Duchovny would be a popular card, I'm sure, even though it'd be mostly due to his work on "X-Files" in reality.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:

He's Special Agent Dennis (AKA Denise) Lawson.

As it turns out, Duchovny could've played both Mulder AND Scully on "X-Files" a few years later.

Here are the two postcards from the 2007 Gold Box set that show him in character(s), one with fellow Agent Cooper and, the other while, ahem, working undercover for the Man.

The Twin Peaks Star Pics trading card set from 1991 pretty much only included 1st season material, so Duchovny just missed out on that, although I suppose he might not have made it into the set even if it did have Season 2 images, he wasn't really any kind of famous back then, this role notwithstanding.

But by 2007 when the postcards were made, he was easily among the most successful of any of the actors who'd ever appeared on the show in a recurring role or as a guest, so they made sure to get him on a couple of the postcards.

Were there ever another set of Twin Peaks cards with autographs, the Duchovny would be a popular card, I'm sure, even though it'd be mostly due to his work on "X-Files" in reality.

Thanks for the info Smile

Near the end of the final season and now Billy Zane has popped up and I think Teri Polo from meet the parents, well that's who she looks like to me. The woman who tried to strangle Truman looks familiar also, but I can't think of her name.

Such a weird show though. Some things you just have to run with, like Catherine disguising herself as that Japanese man lol As if you couldn't tell that was a white woman under all that makeup haha.

Anyhow, I'm still watching to the end.