Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    TWIN PEAKS to return in 2016
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TWIN PEAKS to return in 2016
 Login/Join

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost hits bookstores on Oct. 18th.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the original series and would have rather they left it there, come on, Bob can't possibly be still inside Cooper after 24 years.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
I am a big fan of the original series and would have rather they left it there, come on, Bob can't possibly be still inside Cooper after 24 years.

But in a world concocted by David Lynch, everything & anything is possible... yes?

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
X-Files returned, now Twin Peaks, 24, and Prison Break, also

And word is that Arrested Development is coming back for yet another year, probably in 2018

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A VERY brief teaser has been released but it does show new footage of some of our old friends... Metal Bouncey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB2naaQZbfI

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Do I need to watch the original series first, before starting the new Showtime series? Do the two shows connect to one another? When the original series first came out, I was too young to understand and watch the show.

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I didn't think it would matter if someone had seen the first series or not, based on how David Lynch works. But after watching this new one through 6 or 7 episodes, it turns out that it'd be a good idea to do so.

The new series (Season 3) has had its predicted share of oddball interludes but the most recent episode was among the most narrative driven hours in the shows entire history (which includes a movie "Fire Walk With Me") and it does neatly stem from the end of Season 2.

If you don't have time to watch the entire original series, I think if you just watch the first and last (#30) shows of the original series, you can pick up the new series from there, but you'd miss some classic (and probably necessary) material from the end of Episode 3. You'll probably also want to know who killed Laura Palmer which is fully revealed in Episode 17.

I love the original show and the new one is as good or better, but it's not for everyone, especially now that it is completely uncensored. There is some disturbing material in it that we might all still be a little too young for.

Good luck!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you didn't watch the first two seasons before jumping into the new season, you would be missing a lot of information which could certainly affect your viewing experience.

The new season is a very different beast than the others in the sense that they have jettisoned a lot of the melodrama and soap opera elements that permeated the original series and allowed Lynch to play to his more abstract tendencies in the presentation.

Fans of the series are pretty divided between the camps of "it's too different from the old show" and the "it's brilliant" crowd.

Personally, I'm actually enjoying the new season more than the original series.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I prefer the characters from the original at this point. I'd like to see a little more of some of the original characters rather than just little cameos here and there. They showed Bobby as a cop and yet they haven't shown him since. I'm glad we're getting a bit of Shelley though and finally seeing Dianne was great. The Dougie scenes have dragged a little too long for my liking though, at least it seems that might be ending soon.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Horne brothers and Dr. Jacoby have been a hoot, just like before. Bittersweet to say the least to see the Log Lady and Albert. The Dr. Heyward Skype chat was absolutely beautiful for the same reason.

Andy, Lucy, and their "Wild One" son was classic Lynch, and utterly hilarious to me. Laura's mom, Sarah Palmer, played by Grace Zabriskie, has still got it. I'm not sure what that "it" is, but she's got "it". Glad Hawk's still on the case. Sorry no Sheriff Truman, but at least we still have the other Sheriff Truman. The scene with Seyfried was gorgeously filmed, despite the subject matter.

Enjoyed seeing Harry Dean Stanton (reprising his trailer park manager role "FWWM") again, but did not like seeing what he saw.

Denise Lawson was an utter triumph. Shelly is as pretty as she ever was, and that's saying something. Laura Dern, Naomi Watts, and Candy Clark, just a few of my favorites properly added to the mythos. Looking forward to Audrey and more surprises. I only glanced over the cast list at IMDB a few months back, so I don't remember who all was on it, and don't want to spoil any remaining surprises for myself, so I won't look again until the seasons's over, but there are lots more guest appearances to come, I'm sure. It was gigantic.

The (Little) Man From Another Place is not a fan of that. He posted (then removed) some pretty angry words about Lynch spending so much money on the all-star cameos, that he didn't have enough to pay some of the original characters what they felt they deserved to return, given what they'd brought to the original series. Well, Michael J. Anderson, anyway. Whatever, it's a bummer to not see him and a few others (Piper Laurie, certainly) if that's at all the case. I do hope with see more with the only briefly glimpsed Big Ed, Nadine, James, Norma, Shelly, Bobby, and the rest.

No show this week for holiday.
Meditate instead.
Suggested mantras:
Mr. Jackpots.
Clown comics: fix your hearts or die.
Gotta light?

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
After This weeks episode I think we can safely all assume who the father of Audrey's son is.

I really loved last weeks episode, today's was also pretty good. I could do without the long musical end scenes though. Just seems like a waste of a good 7 minutes that could have been spent on further development of the storylines.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Article on CNN about how the show is winding down on a whimper. It claims that over the past few weeks the episodes have been viewed by less than 500,000 per week, which is considered to be poor.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Article on CNN about how the show is winding down on a whimper. It claims that over the past few weeks the episodes have been viewed by less than 500,000 per week, which is considered to be poor.

But totally predictable. At this point only the faithful can watch Twin Peaks and they watch it with no expectation of understanding it. In fact, the attraction is that it is unexplainable and that's why Lynch is a genius.

I think his genius is in getting anyone to still think he's a genius. Big Grin

It doesn't matter. Whoever loves this show will continue to love it, but it has no chance of expanding viewership because it is incomprehensible to anyone who wants a logical story or even any consistency in an illogical story. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's still 2 more episodes (airing the same night) of this revival, so the book isn't closed on it yet. With that in mind, I would say it is easily the worst show on television this year, and also that it is definitely the best show on TV. Things could change, depending on the finale, which I anxiously await and also dread.
I'll check back in here with my review of it in 25 years time.

posted Hide Post
Given that it airs on an obscure channel that many people don't get along with the fact that it's a cult show instead of a high profile thing like GOT or TWD, it's not surprising that the numbers aren't spectacular. Let's also note that the ratings numbers often don't include all the streaming viewers.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan but I don't get Showtime so I have to wait for a bluray release & avoid spoilers in the meantime.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BILLZEE:
I'm a big fan but I don't get Showtime so I have to wait for a bluray release & avoid spoilers in the meantime.

I am in the same boat!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I read on MSN that the finale is pretty much the real end, as there is no plan for a "Season 4"

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Obviously people have not seen the ending, although I don't know how they are staying away from the scholarly dissertations that are going on online. There are few things funnier than seeing a bunch of people come together to try to explain to each other what they just saw. Big Grin

Anyway, without a spoiler, Lynch says its the end of Twin Peaks, although by any standard of this story, there is no reason why it has to be.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post