Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Borderlands
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
It's way too early for this one, but they will start filming Borderlands in April, maybe for a 2022 release. It's an interesting prospect for a card set because it is based on a very popular video game, but also has elements of a lot of action sci-fi plots.

It's being directed by Eli Roth, who is known for a lot of bloody gore, and is expected to push an R for violence at least. Yet it has an A-list cast headed by Cate Blanchett, Kevin Hart, Jamie Lee Curtis and Jack Black, who would be good signers if you could get them. Other characters/roles have not yet been filled.

I understand the casting doesn't really align with the game characters too well, but some say the script is great. This is of course just rumor, but its an interesting rumor. It might also be a chance to get a non-sport card set that could pull in those gamers that don't usually care about non-interactive cards.

So it's something to perhaps look forward to until found to be otherwise and maybe the card makers can take note also. I've never played Borderlands, but I wouldn't mind some stupid escapist entertainment done well. We will see eventually.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Janina Gavankar has just been announced for a key role created for the film.

Cate Blanchett and Kevin Hart are two other card signers selected for roles.

Jack Black and Jamie Lee Curtis would be two great cards that could come from a potential set.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Janina Gavankar has just been announced for a key role created for the film.

Cate Blanchett and Kevin Hart are two other card signers selected for roles.

Jack Black and Jamie Lee Curtis would be two great cards that could come from a potential set.

Eli Roth did a great job with Jack Black and Cate Blanchett in "House with a Clock in the Walls".

I don't play video games so I know 0 about 'Borderlands' but I might be interested with the director and cast involved.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well its going on 2 years since the end of filming and there is still no release date for "Borderlands". Now comes a rumor that Eli Roth has been canned and some other director will be doing extensive reshoots, if and when they can get the cast back to do it of course.

A little late in the game for that. I had heard that first scenes were well received last year, but clearly there must be something wrong or the studio would have put it out by now. The film was supposed to cost around 150M. Seems like the studios are making a lot of mistakes lately throwing money at show runners and not really knowing what they are doing with it until they see the mess.

I hope this one gets out in some form without turning into another tax write-off like "Batgirl".

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
She said "A little late in the game" Big Grin

This really sucks I so want this to be good.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So "Borderlands" is still in some sort of postproduction, despite being filmed two years ago and having scenes reshoot by the cast a few months back. Director Roth's vision has been dumped and now the word is that screenwriter Craig Mazin wants has name removed from the project. Originally the script was rumored to be great, so I guess he thinks something has been lost in translation.

With all the anticipated hits that have flopped lately, this looks like a flop that will be lucky to see the light of day. With no one even wanting to take credit for this film, maybe they could try an opposite ad campaign and entice contrarians.

"Borderlands - We Don't Even Pretend To Be Worth Seeing". Big Grin Honestly, how bad could it be I wonder? Razz

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
A report from SDCC announced Aug 9th 2024 release date. No new trailers.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
First trailer has just dropped. Its got ELO blaring on the soundtrack and is going for that "Guardians of the Galaxy/Thor Ragnarok" vibe.

Looks like Halloween dress up, but if it's made as camp and everybody knows it, it can't bomb too hard. I know I'm going to see it.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Gina Gershon and Florian Munteanu are two other card signers in the cast.

I will be in the theater for this one as well...hopefully some IMAX or 3D format.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,