Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
The Wolverine

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/6527066236

August 05, 2013, 06:55 PM
Graham
The Wolverine
Who thought this script was a good idea? The one thing with all Marvel films is that you could drop in and take them at face value without having seen any previous instalments. The borefest that was Jean Grey should have been removed at the preview stage. Yes, there were great moments in the movie, but they were interrupted by large swathes of Hobbit-like 'don't matter / fill the footage' narrative. If you knew the background to Wolverine, it was mind-numbing, and if you didn't, it was confusing. I hope Hugh Jackman gets the chance to make a Wolverine film that's worthy of the name before he gets too old. Best parts of the experience was the Thor trailer at the beginning and the "Day's of future past" teaser at the end.
If you see The Wolverine and think it's average, count it as a win.
August 05, 2013, 09:39 PM
Raven
To be honest, I don't know why they keep making Wolverine films. I don't blame it on Jackman exactly, he is serious about the role. There is just something lacking, maybe because he is taking it so seriously and the plots are practically non-existent.
August 06, 2013, 02:25 AM
Graham
Wolverine's best moments in the Claremont/Byrne comic era was when he was with Nightcrawler. That, with some humour, is a film I'd look forward to.
August 06, 2013, 03:09 AM
chesspieceface
I saw it, and I have just learned to not expect in the movies very much of the stuff from the comics that made Wolverine big enough to star in his own movies in the first place.

For whatever reason, they can't or won't put the source material onscreen. The truly great Wolverine adventures are from the Claremont/Byrne X-Men comics from the late 70's and early 80's and the Wolverine mini-series that this film was kind of based on which came out in 1982, I think.

This movie, based on that 4 issue series, had great action, good acting, nice pacing, impressive set pieces, and yet it was missing Wolverine's struggle at the heart of it that fueled the Claremont/Miller comic series, a rightly celebrated classic. Basically, he was trying to prove he was worthy of Mariko to her father, an awesome warrior who tests him in every way. I probably haven't read that book in 25 years, but that's what stays with you, an action packed lesson of honor being taught in the beauty and tradition of Japan, as the beast learns to be a man.

If they couldn't have figured out a way to get that in, they should've just used some other story.

That said, Jackman is awesome as Wolvie, although I think he should probably sing a couple of songs next time around. I'm already looking forward to the next X-Men movie.

August 08, 2013, 04:10 AM
Graham
The biggest faux pas of them all is that in the comics, Logan can speak Japanese.
August 08, 2013, 06:16 AM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
To be honest, I don't know why they keep making Wolverine films.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

August 08, 2013, 04:26 PM
WOMBLE
I liked it. Smile
August 08, 2013, 05:12 PM
Graham
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
I liked it. Smile

It was like a Topps Star Wars Galaxy box - all the good bits could have been fitted in something half it's size.
August 08, 2013, 09:44 PM
chesspieceface
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Wolverine's best moments in the Claremont/Byrne comic era was when he was with Nightcrawler. That, with some humour, is a film I'd look forward to.

I collected and read X-Men religiously from #160 when I was 11 to around #230 when I was about 17. By then, I'd picked up a LOT of the previous issues going back to #20 or so, so I was well versed in the Claremont/Byrne years, but also two different runs with original "new" X-Men artist Dave Cockrum. The interaction between Wolverine and Nightcrawler was particularly excellent when he was artist.

Shortly after the second Dave Cockrum run concluded there was an exquisitely drawn, and all too-brief 10 issues or so drawn by Paul Smith including Uncanny X-Men #173 with Wolverine and Rogue on the cover (actually a lead-in to the Miller/Claremont Wolverine miniseries the new movie is based on) which is an all-time classic, character defining excellence for both Wolverine and Rogue in an action packed story that is certainly part of why those characters have been teamed so often in the comics since then and have been essentially the main characters in the X-Men movies so far.

I kept buying the X-Men core title for another hundred issues or so, but have read very few of them. After Paul Smith finished, John Romita Jr. drew it for the awhile (#190 Kulan Gath transforms Manhattan is a highlight) and then two guys soon to be the stars of Image comics, Jim Lee and Marc Silvestri brought in new characters like Gambit and make the comic more popular than ever. Most of those were pretty good, and I think Claremont wrote them all. What a run, there's a lot more that could translated to the screen. They will never run out of stories to adapt if that's the way they want to go.

It is pretty amazing what Disney now owns: the entire roster of Marvel characters and the vast library of their stories, the entire Star Wars Universe in every iteration, Indiana Jones, the Lost Ark, the Temple of Doom, The Holy Grail AND the Crystal Skull, the Muppets, and even Winnie the Pooh and Tigger, too! Walt would be pleased, I think.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

November 29, 2013, 03:26 AM
NYhank79
The plot for the last one were so and so but still it entertains the audience.

Maybe an improvement on the next one.