Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R.I.P. Ray Harryhausen
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted
Sad news but he had a long and extremely influential life on special effects in film.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni53030384/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t1

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A true talent and a real cool guy. I've had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times and he was always fan friendly.

He will be missed.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've only just heard this news. I'm devastated Frown

First time I met Ray:

Ray with a few friends at his 90th Birthday Celebration:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevin F,

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I love all his stop motion animated films. This is sad news indeed. I actually met him at a comic con a pretty long time ago and got his autograph. We exchanged maybe a dozen words but I'll always remember meeting him.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This guy was a genius. I could watch his movies today and still marvel at his creatures, even after the leaps in CGI. He really had the best of it, RIP Mr. Harryhausen.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The master, an esteemed creator of worlds of absolute wonder for so many, hugely influential, and never to be forgotten.

Rest in peace, sir, a life well-lived.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Extremely sad news. Just last month I was attending Monsterpalooza in LA, and sat in on a panel/viewing of a documentary film on Ray's body of work. The theatre was packed and standing ovations were frequent.

One really cool thing was that easily half of the room was made up of younger people in their 20's and 30's. Monsterpalooza being primarily a special FX makeup con, many of those folks in attendance were in the industry and were well aware of Ray's pioneering work.

A job well done, sir. RIP.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post