Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elizabeth Pena RIP
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
I just know read that Elizabeth Pena passed away on Tuesday at the age of 55 from a short illness. She has a long list of credits, mostly as what you would call a supporting or character actor. She also did star in a few things along the way.

She was in the TV remake of the Invaders and did voice work on The Incredibles. She recently played a part on Modern Family.

The reason I was so taken by her talent is because she played a major role in one of my favorite movies, Lone Star. This is the John Sayles movie, not to be confused with another one of the same title. I think Lone Star is one of those hidden masterpieces that can't be put into any catagory. It is a drama, a mystery and a social commentary. It is full of great actors doing an independent work of art.

Celebrate the life of Elizabeth Pena and see it if you haven't already or if you are like me, watch it again tonight. That's exactly what I'm going to do. RIP dear lady.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Wow, sorry to hear that.

"Lone Star" is a fantastic movie (one of John Sayles' best, high praise indeed), easily one of the best movies of the last 20 years. To add to Raven's description of it, it is also a fine romance, and the line "Forget the Alamo", in its proper context, is simply one of the all-time great lines in any movie...

She was also marvelous in an absolute creepfest called "Jacob's Ladder" opposite Tim Robbins and I can't forget "La Bamba" one of the first things I noticed her in.

Sad news, rest in peace, Elizabeth.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post