Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Who new series
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted
SPOILERS Highlight to read.

If this had been the first episode of a new series, it would be cancelled next week. There just wesn't enough happening. The actors were great, but the dialogue plodded. Two females married. Ok. We got it. To repeat this another 3 times seemed to wave flags that said "look what we've done". Not clever, just condescending. The effects for the most part were very good, but the blue screen work seemed to suffer. Nice touches were Matt Smith's cameo and the reference to the SS Madame de Pompadour. Peter's feet are under the table. Now lets see what he can do.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I thought I was watching Primeval when it started. It had the usual first episode problem, it was about introducing the new doctor, there is never time to do a proper story, next week should be a better guide.

As for women snogging lizards that was a bit timey wimey. Eek

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

For us non-English speakers, what did you say? Confused Big Grin

I think I get the idea from the previous post, so you don't have to explain, just an interesting turn of the phrase there. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Spoilers indeed!!

I thought it was a pretty good episode....better then I was expecting, anyway. I still kind of think it's time for Moffat to move on.

Was curious what others thought of the episode.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
I would give it 6 out of 10. The plot was too similar to a previous episode, and the dinosaur did not add much to the story. I liked the fact that Capladi is playing a Scottish Doctor.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Is it me or is Dr Who getting worse with every episode?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Yup, yup.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I usually watch each episode at least twice, I haven't bothered with this series. I don't like this new Doctor's portrayal.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it me or is Dr Who getting worse with every episode?

Yep, it's you. Capaldi is in the role he was born for. With little hints in the acting of previous Doctors, he's a joy to watch. The storys have got to the Eccleston quality that drew us back in to this world mainly, I think, due to Moffat having a co-writer.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I'm in two minds about the series so far - I like Capaldi, but some of the stories have been a little weak - Time Heist was great fun until the last couple of minutes, then just fizzled out - it felt like a page of the script went missing.
I'll keep going until the end of the series, partly out of habit, partly out if respect to the cast and crew and partly because I want so see who Missy turns out to be (nice Chris Addison cameo btw!)
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
I'm liking the new series quite a bit so far. I'm certainly enjoying it more that Series 7, and also great chunks of Series 6. Loving Capaldi.

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed latest episode

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I loved old-Who growing up and desperately tried to enjoy the revamped series. Tuned in for Eccleston but couldn't gel and had a brief flirtation with Tennant's Stint and a few episodes with Matt Smith but just couldn't do it. The latter two always just seemed like 'heart throbs' to skew to a wider audience and their ADHD like personalities I found so grating.

I was shocked they went completely against new-WHO casting type with someone much older in Capaldi. I didn't enjoy his first episode, probably because of some Matt Smith hyper hang-overs, but that was all erased by the second episode and I am enjoying his portrayal immensely. This is the first time I could latch onto new-Who in years. He is a better actor in general and plays the role much more seriously and darker which I like. He reminds me of when I watched Pertwee re-runs as a kid.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:
and partly because I want so see who Missy turns out to be
Au Res.,
Paul

clara " just call me miss, I prefer miss "

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Au Res.,
Paul

Well spotted Wolfie. I didn't pick up on that one myself.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
They have softened Capaldi's character in the last few episodes. I continue to watch even thought the story lines are a mixed batch.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:

What about Missy snogging the Doctor, a bit Eek if you think about it.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:

What about Missy snogging the Doctor, a bit Eek if you think about it.

Even worse this was basically Roger Delgado snogging Jon Pertwee. Eek

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Au Res.,
Paul

WRONG

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
quote:
Au Res.,
Paul

WRONG

Not finished yet, Missy is a robot, Clara is the real master.