Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Another sad one to hear, Bernie Casey at 78.

He was a football player before he became an actor. Lots of credits in films and TV including Revenge of the Nerds, Bill and Ted's and Never Say Never again.

For card lovers he was in Babylon 5, Deep Space Nine and The Man Who Fell To Earth. I don't know if he signed for any other product titles, but he had autographs in that last one and they all had some brief inscription with a positive message. Maybe someone else can get some images up, but I'm happy to have gotten two of those cards. RIP Mr. Casey.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
One of the 6 or so variations I got from my case of these. Nice of him to go the extra mile when signing.

They'll mention his more famous movies, but I always dug his grade-b effort "Dr. Black and Mr. Hyde" from his fruitful 70's hi-shock schlock period.

Good love, Bernie. Take it to the house.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hugh Hefner has passed away today at the Playboy Mansion at the age of 91.

Lots of Playboy cards, not sure how many can be shown. Big Grin

However you felt about his contributions, he built an empire and he seemed to have had a lot of fun doing it. So another iconic figure of his times is gone. RIP Playboy.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Maybe someone else can get some images up,

quote:
Lots of Playboy cards, not sure how many can be shown.

You aren't even trying.
Perhaps if all you want to do is post notice of deaths, the other thread is more appropriate?

Hef had plenty of "safe" cards to post.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Maybe someone else can get some images up,

quote:
Lots of Playboy cards, not sure how many can be shown.

You aren't even trying.
Perhaps if all you want to do is post notice of deaths, the other thread is more appropriate?

Hef had plenty of "safe" cards to post.

Sorry, I still have trouble with images despite instructions. I didn't use the other thread because there are Playboy cards and it would only be a duplicate notice, but the solution is simple. I can't pull images, so I won't post death notices. Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Bernie Casey

Subject: RE: DS9 Date: 09/27/2017
Author: Steve Charendoff

I'll give you one tidbit about this set that is both good and bad news. The good news is that Bernie Casey signed cards for this DS9 set earlier this year. The bad news is that he passed away a few weeks ago. Very sad news.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't pull images, so I won't post death notices. Smile

Go ahead and post them, just in the other thread.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Why do we need multiple threads on obituaries? We do not. I have noticed that now more time is taken about, "you need to post here or there" instead of about the deceased. I think I will start a thread called "Dead People". Pictures or no pictures, it will be about people who died regardless if they have any connection to the non sport card or celebrity world.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
Why do we need multiple threads on obituaries? We do not. I have noticed that now more time is taken about, "you need to post here or there" instead of about the deceased. I think I will start a thread called "Dead People". Pictures or no pictures, it will be about people who died regardless if they have any connection to the non sport card or celebrity world.

My thoughts exactly. Two threads on the same topic is pointless and the attitude from some when people post "in the wrong thread" is uncalled for.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
My thoughts exactly. Two threads on the same topic is pointless and the attitude from some when people post "in the wrong thread" is uncalled for.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't have a problem with Bill Mullins method - he has created a nice little "Shrine" of non-sport obits.
It reminds me of the Oscars segment where they show all the movie people that passed on during the year.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rocker Tom Petty has died at 66.

he was on some cards, I am sure.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
Why do we need multiple threads on obituaries? We do not.

I agree 100%. For a long time, people would occasionally post notice of the death of some celebrity, usually starting a dedicated thread on the subject. Sometimes I'd recall a card featuring the person in question, and mention it.

In 2014, realizing that many celebrities who had died had a non-sports card, I started a thread in which I mentioned both the death and the card connection. This being a board for non-sports cards, it struck me that such a thread would be useful. After I realized that the board software allowed it, I started to embed the images of the cards in question. So the original "Obituaries" thread was always about cards of people who had recently died.

Time passed, and some folks started posting about the deaths of any random person, whether they had a non-sport card or not. I realized that the thread had a use beyond that which I had intended when I started it, and not wanting to cut people off, I started a new thread that specifically said it would "hopefully . . . include only folks who appear on a card."

I figured people who wanted only to post that someone had died could use the earlier thread, and people who wanted to post about cards that showed the recently deceased could use the new one. Cause this is a non-sports forum, and posting about cards is appropriate. The old thread is named "Obituaries" and the new one is named "Non-Sport Obituaries". Easy enough to tell the difference, I thought.

But I was wrong. This thread has wandered off-topic like the last one. Someone dies, and folks rush here to mention it. I get it, people are interested in celebrities, even if they have no cards. I'm just curious why they want to mention it in this particular thread, when there's a whole 'nother thread that is more appropriate.

I'm not wanting to shut people down. It's just that twice now, I've tried to start a thread that I thought would be to the benefit of a community that shares an interest in dead people and non-sports cards, and both times seen the non-sports card part of it be pushed aside for the dead people.

Rant over.

Tom Petty has died. A great musician, occasional actor, and a Southern Rocker. He had a couple of ProSet SuperStar MusiCards. Here's one:

EDITED TO ADD: And while I was writing this, I see that someone has already posted his death. Without mentioning a card. Sigh.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I was wrong. This thread has wandered off-topic like the last one. Someone dies, and folks rush here to mention it. I get it, people are interested in celebrities, even if they have no cards. I'm just curious why they want to mention it in this particular thread, when there's a whole 'nother thread that is more appropriate.

EDITED TO ADD: And while I was writing this, I see that someone has already posted his death. Without mentioning a card. Sigh.

With all due respect Bill, this thread is not off topic. This one is for deceased people that had non-sport cards and the other one is for people that died, but never appeared on non-sport cards. It is the insistence that everyone provide a picture of the cards that is the problem.

I'm stupid, I can't get the hang of it and I don't keep images for myself. I do however know who had non-sport autographs cards and who didn't most of the time. I don't mind passing on that information to fellow collectors, while I also say a few words about the deceased.

For example, Tom Petty is a particular favorite of mine over the years. As you have noted, he did appear on a card, but to my knowledge at least, I do not remember him signing in any set. I would still like to leave a remark on his passing, I was quite surprised and sadden to hear it.

I don't have a picture though. So if I understand you correctly, I should post in the other thread, even though it would be off topic there because he does have at least one card and there will be duplicate postings for him in this thread.

Oh well, I'm done too. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven --
The thread is for whatever it gets used for. I have no police power, and can't edit posts.

Having said that, if you look at the first posts in the thread, it's clear that I started this one to be about cards, not people. (I started the earlier one that way too, but c'est la vie).

Recent posts in this thread have included Jake LaMotta, Beth Spivak (?), Powers Boothe -- none of whom had non-sports cards (to my knowledge).

Other posts mention a name and some variation of "I'm sure he had cards, but I can't/won't take the trouble to post them." Which is a sneaky way of making the post about the person, instead of the cards. You could post those in the general Obituaries thread, if you want, and I'll see them and link to cards (if I can) here.

Or continue to post it here. It makes no difference. People will do whatever they want, and there's nothing either of us can do about it.

But that way, every so often, you and the rest of the readers get to see me rant on about it. Which is win-win.

And, in better news, reports that I'm seeing now (Washington Post, etc.) say that Petty's death has not been confirmed, and it may be that he's just had a heart attack and will recover. Let's hope that is the case.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
People will do whatever they want, and there's nothing either of us can do about it.

No argument there. Big Grin

Unfortunately the news on Petty is not much better. He is still alive, but it sounds like he has no brain activity and is being taken off life support. They expect him to pass soon. Very sorry, he is one of my favorites and I still enjoy his music to this day. Something about the nasal singers for me. Wink

Anyway I hope the reports are wrong.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John Hillerman, age 84

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Astronaut Richard Gordon, on Nov 6. Age 88.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bond Girl Karin Dor on Nov. 6 (Helga Brandt from You Only Live Twice). Age 79.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Star Wars Costume Designer John Mollo, on Oct. 28. Age 86.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Brent Briscoe, character actor, Oct 18. Age 56.