Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
If I recall correctly with my faulty memory, a number of movies of that type were being made at that time, none of which I liked. I laughed at the Zucker brothers and Abrahams movies, BRAIN DONORS, etc. As someone once said, humor is a funny thing. I never even smile when watching Laurel and Hardy or Abbot and Costello (with the all-time exception of 'Who's on First?', they leave me absolutely flat, but the Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers will always crack me up. Speaking of that, where's the glue?

So where does W C Fields and Buster Keaton fit in or don't they?

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I need to rent more of their movies. I've seen a couple of W. C. Fields's movies that I thought were pretty good, THE BANK DICK being one of them. The Buster Keaton Twilight Zone episode is hilarious, particularly because I am also a huge Richard Matheson fan.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
While you might not care for some of their routines, I dare anyone to watch Abbot and Costello Meets Frankenstein and not laugh out loud.

I wouldn't sit through the Three Stooges or the Marx Brothers if you paid me.

Actors always say good comedy is harder to do than drama because its easier to know what makes people cry than what makes them laugh.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I put A & B meet Frankenstein on my Netflix List (I get the physical DVDs). I will let you know if I laughed.

And I hereby officially withdraw the one million dollar offer to watch the Three Stooges I was going to pay you.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I put A & B meet Frankenstein on my Netflix List (I get the physical DVDs). I will let you know if I laughed.

And I hereby officially withdraw the one million dollar offer to watch the Three Stooges I was going to pay you.

I hope you enjoy it and I never said I didn't have a price. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I watched all the Abbott and Costello and Marx Brothers movies but was less into Laurel and Hardy and the Stooges. A local station would run old movies at 730am on Sundays. My brothers and I would watch them before we could go outside. I liked the Marx Brothers movies the most with the only drawback being the long musical interludes by other actors/actresses.

Jess

quote:
If I recall correctly with my faulty memory, a number of movies of that type were being made at that time, none of which I liked. I laughed at the Zucker brothers and Abrahams movies, BRAIN DONORS, etc. As someone once said, humor is a funny thing. I never even smile when watching Laurel and Hardy or Abbot and Costello (with the all-time exception of 'Who's on First?', they leave me absolutely flat, but the Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers will always crack me up. Speaking of that, where's the glue?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
All this conversation makes think of watching the Lucille Ball Show episode where Harpo Marx was the guest. They did a sketch where she looked in a mirror and Harpo was in the mirror mimicking every move that Lucy made.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The TV I most remember watching when I was a child were the programmes featuring the black and white comedy shorts like L&H, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, the Keystone Cops, WC Fields and others.

Here in the UK we had a comedian who collected these comedy shorts and subsequently used his collection to formulate TV programmes.

Interestingly, I believe only Laurel & Hardy and the Three Stooges have had more than one card set issued. There was an Abbott and Costello set issued by Duo cards way back in the 1990's.

If I recall correctly The Three Stooges were hardly ever shown on UK TV so I really never got into their humour which may explain why their cards don't feature much in my card collection. I have 4 albums full of L&H cards, most of which were collected after the demise of the L&H CMA cards. The man behind the UK L&H Fan Club took over issuing cards based on individual films which only ceased a few years ago.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Since this thread has morphed into comedians on cards, I have to ask why there hasn't been a Charlie Chaplin set issued, or has there been one that I don't know about? Has the Chaplin estate been that tight or difficult?

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Since this thread has morphed into comedians on cards, I have to ask why there hasn't been a Charlie Chaplin set issued, or has there been one that I don't know about? Has the Chaplin estate been that tight or difficult?

Can't say about the Chaplin Estate. Most of the bigger name celebrity Estates are receptive to selling royalties when they can. I think its more a matter of little demand for many of them these days. In Chaplin's case it might be both general to all vintage celebrities and also specific to him.

Generally speaking, I don't see a lot of merchandise being sold for Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Marlon Brandon, Humphery Bogart, etc. anymore. Chaplin was way before their time and they have been petering out. Putting it simply, a majority of people under 30 may never have heard of them, let alone seen them.

We think celluloid fame is forever, but just talk to a 25 year old who has never heard of Casablanca. They did not grow up watching 30 year old movies on TV like we did. So our history with seeing old films goes back 30 - 40 years before we were even born. They think an old movie comes from 1995. That's one problem, Chaplin is only relevant to film students these days, if that.

The other problem is that Chaplin would not be held up as a role model in current society. I just caught the film Sunset on TV the other night. Sort of an earlier Tarantino idea to reimagine Hollywood actors. For a film directed by Blake Edwards with Bruce Willis and James Gardner about fictional versions of Tom Mix and Wyatt Earp in 1920s Hollywood, it was quite a mess. But to the point, the twisted villain played by Malcolm McDowell was the scripts impression of Charlie Chaplin. So his reputation is also an issue, not that it means much until someone starts to celebrate him. Then it comes up. Wink

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I heard about Fred Willard on Saturday and wondered if I had a card with him on it. I don't have the Anchorman set (DVD insert, I think).

He also signed for the 2009 Americana release. I picked one up just a month ago. He was also in This is Spinal Tap.

He also signed for Stargate SG1 Season 10. I have Fred Willard's autograph from that series.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Can't say about the Chaplin Estate. Most of the bigger name celebrity Estates are receptive to selling royalties when they can. I think its more a matter of little demand for many of them these days. In Chaplin's case it might be both general to all vintage celebrities and also specific to him.

Generally speaking, I don't see a lot of merchandise being sold for Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Marlon Brandon, Humphery Bogart, etc. anymore. Chaplin was way before their time and they have been petering out. Putting it simply, a majority of people under 30 may never have heard of them, let alone seen them.

We think celluloid fame is forever, but just talk to a 25 year old who has never heard of Casablanca. They did not grow up watching 30 year old movies on TV like we did. So our history with seeing old films goes back 30 - 40 years before we were even born. They think an old movie comes from 1995. That's one problem, Chaplin is only relevant to film students these days, if that.

The other problem is that Chaplin would not be held up as a role model in current society. I just caught the film Sunset on TV the other night. Sort of an earlier Tarantino idea to reimagine Hollywood actors. For a film directed by Blake Edwards with Bruce Willis and James Gardner about fictional versions of Tom Mix and Wyatt Earp in 1920s Hollywood, it was quite a mess. But to the point, the twisted villain played by Malcolm McDowell was the scripts impression of Charlie Chaplin. So his reputation is also an issue, not that it means much until someone starts to celebrate him. Then it comes up. Wink

My son has been buying "bulk collections" DVD set of black and white horror films. At college he tried showing some to his friends who did not want to see them because they were not in color. His communications professor/department chair(a man in his 60's) found out and they have been trading films. John alex loans out his horror disc and the professor loans him black and white comedy. It has been a really cool experience for him.

So, yeah, you have a generation or two that are not going to every take 10 minutes on the golden age of film that will never know who any of the actors of that time are.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

My son has been buying "bulk collections" DVD set of black and white horror films. At college he tried showing some to his friends who did not want to see them because they were not in color. His communications professor/department chair(a man in his 60's) found out and they have been trading films. John alex loans out his horror disc and the professor loans him black and white comedy. It has been a really cool experience for him.

So, yeah, you have a generation or two that are not going to every take 10 minutes on the golden age of film that will never know who any of the actors of that time are.

Agree with all of these points. I am a fan of Chaplin's work, albeit not necessarily a fan of his personal reputation. I imagine the lack of sound and the lack of color would turn off many younger viewers. Love the "old movie comes from 1995" line, by the way. Smile

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John Winston, who played the transporter chief in Star Trek:TOS, has passed away age 91.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No disrespect to Mr. Winston, but the first thing I thought of when I saw that post was who the heck sent that autograph card in for grading, Gem Mint or not? It's a VL, but still. Oh well, it's their money. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
From May 27th, playwright, screenwriter, and AIDS activist Larry Kramer. Card is from the Eclipse Aids set from 1993, an unusual one in that a latex condom was included in every pack.

From June 2nd, veteran character actor, Mary Pat Gleason, most recently seen on the CBS sitcom, "Mom". Card is from a 258West signing.

From June 4th, Steve Priest, bassist of 70's glam rock heroes SWEET, best known for their hits "Ballroom Blitz" and "Little Willy". This is a sticker card from the 1975 Panini Pop Stars set, die-cut and meant to be stuck in an album. Steve is the cool cat wearing glasses.

May they all rest in peace.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On a Bay Area newscast there was a story about Kramer's passing. Apparently, he hated Dr. Fauci at first but they became good friends later.

In the early 90's I was working as a sound editor/voice coach for a tech company working on computer voices. On a break one day, the announcer (a local radio DJ), a co-worker running the board, and I were talking about "The Ballroom Blitz" but none of us could recall the name of the band. It was killing us, all of us having record collections thick with 70's stuff. There was no internet for instant gratification then. We did it the old-fashioned way. The DJ called a friend at the radio station.

The song is "The Ballroom Blitz" although a lot of us did call it "Bar Room Blitz" for years. Also, I would swear I saw something on TV back in the late 70's that spelled the group's name as "Suite."

Now try getting that song out of your head.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
From May 27th, playwright, screenwriter, and AIDS activist Larry Kramer. Card is from the Eclipse Aids set from 1993, an unusual one in that a latex condom was included in every pack.

From June 2nd, veteran character actor, Mary Pat Gleason, most recently seen on the CBS sitcom, "Mom". Card is from a 258West signing.

From June 4th, Steve Priest, bassist of 70's glam rock heroes SWEET, best known for their hits "Bar Room Blitz" and "Little Willy". This is a sticker card from an early 70's Panini Pop Stars set, die-cut and meant to be stuck in an album. Steve is the cool cat wearing glasses.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Card is from the Eclipse Aids set from 1993, an unusual one in that a latex condom was included in every pack./QUOTE]

OK. Mic Drop. You win. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
From June 4th, Steve Priest, bassist of 70's glam rock heroes SWEET, best known for their hits "Bar Room Blitz" and "Little Willy". This is a sticker card from an early 70's Panini Pop Stars set, die-cut and meant to be stuck in an album. Steve is the cool cat wearing glasses.

As catskilleagle has already pointed out their record was 'Ballroom Blitz' but here in the UK they were also best known for 'Blockbuster'. I used to watch them on Top of the Pops back in the 70s and had to look up 'Little Willy' on YouTube as I couldn't remember it at all. The other two though ..... Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg_sCVLsejc

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
So the day after I posted that, I get a giant box of vintage 45 single records in the mailfrom my brother, and in there was "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet, no kidding. Too bad I didn't receive the package a day earlier as I wouldn't have messed up the title above, which I've now corrected. (Also, the Panini Pop Stars set is from 1975, not early 70's as I'd said.)

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post