Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately there are all sorts of things that can kill on a Hollywood set. Especially if safety protocol is chosen to be ignored. In its proper context this is really a super rare occurrence. My understanding is the whole production company was Baldwin's which is going to put general practices under investigation. As it should.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The problem wasn't that they didn't have enough rules (like "no real guns on set"); the problem was that people didn't follow the rules that were in place.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jay Black, lead singer of "Jay and the Americans", died last Friday at age 82, of complications from pneumonia.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
The problem wasn't that they didn't have enough rules (like "no real guns on set"); the problem was that people didn't follow the rules that were in place.

It's early, but its beginning to look like Alec Baldwin's career may be over. Not because he fired the shot, his Hollywood community is rallying around him for the terrible accident so far.

Its because he was a main person, maybe the main person, in the production company and he was on set to see everything going on firsthand. He was the one practicing quick draws pointed at the camera when people were standing there. Unless the gun somehow went off by itself, he pulled the trigger. There were allegedly a series of errors specifically against gun safety protocols, including reports that unnamed crew members were using the same guns for target practice at night. Even the basic qualifications and work histories of the people in charge of handling these props have been brought into question.

Baldwin will be forgiven for being an Actor handed the wrong prop, but he won't be forgiven if the situation was caused by him being a Producer that was too cheap and too careless to provide for a safe set. I don't think they will ever go back to making Rust either. I don't think insurance would want to cover them if findings come out that prove safety violations occurred. If they are sued, they may just go bankrupt as the whole project was budgeted at 7M, quite small as an independent movie.

Again this is all alleged at this stage and the investigation continues.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
It is just so alien to me to be handed a functioning firearm and not verify for myself that it is clear. I don't care how well the rules are being followed, someone telling me it is a safe gun is not enough. I'm assuming these were revolvers. A 5 second check just to be sure.

We see actors use these guns to their full functionality on screen so it is not like they don't know.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I missed this when it happened, but Robert Rodan died on Mar 15, age 83.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Camille Saviola, who was on Broadway, in Woody Allen films, and in STDS9, died yesterday at age 71.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
William Lucking who also had small roles in Star Trek, JAG and The X-Files passed away Oct 18th.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Nov 7th very sad to hear this.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Nov 7th very sad to hear this.

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. I've been watching reruns of 'Quantum Leap' on the SYFY channel for the last couple of weeks which would not be the same without his unforgettable performance as Al.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Dean Stockwell was a really good actor and he had a wonderfully long career, but he should have been above the title. He tried to be a leading man when he was in his 20's and early 30's, but I think it was a time when many male actors needed to be more good looking than talented. He kept working, but got relegated to being the familiar face in supporting roles in both films and on TV.

Everyone seems to know him from Quantum Leap, but I didn't watch that show. Hate time travel plots. Besides all those supporting roles, I'd like to remember him best in an old TV movie called "Paper Man" when he did get to be the star for once. RIP Mr. Stockwell.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The dear old BBC have posted quite a nice obituary for Dean Stockwell:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-59217820

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember him well from "Quantum Leap" but also his starring role in "The Werewolf of Washington" (1973) which was featured on a local Saturday night horror/monster movie show at least twice. I had never heard of it before catching it maybe 8-10 years ago. "Hey, that's Dean Stockwell." I saw him most recently on an episode of "Star Trek: Enterprise," the reruns of which I've been watching rather regularly over the past few months.

Yeah, he was a solid actor. I hear he was a good guy too.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Dean Stockwell was a really good actor and he had a wonderfully long career, but he should have been above the title. He tried to be a leading man when he was in his 20's and early 30's, but I think it was a time when many male actors needed to be more good looking than talented. He kept working, but got relegated to being the familiar face in supporting roles in both films and on TV.

Everyone seems to know him from Quantum Leap, but I didn't watch that show. Hate time travel plots. Besides all those supporting roles, I'd like to remember him best in an old TV movie called "Paper Man" when he did get to be the star for once. RIP Mr. Stockwell.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I probably didn't really begin to recognize him until Dune and Blue Velvet. Like many shows I didn't start to catch any of Quantum Leap until it was in syndication. I guess where he really stood out for me was when he played the logical smart guy in Stephen King's the Langoliers.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I found "Paper Man" has been downloaded to youtube if anyone is interested in a dated 1971 TV movie about computers and murder.

Not mentioned, Stockwell was terrific in "Married to the Mob" and was Oscar nominated for it.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Got about half way through Werewolf in Washington on youtube....it was a bit tough to watch. Will check out Paper Man.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
"The Boy With Green Hair" is another unusual one from Dean, made when he was very young.

I'd just watched the original "Dune" the day before his passing. While that movie was hit and miss, it's probably what got him into "Blue Velvet" (as David Lynch made both). The lip-synching scene in that is one of the greatest moments in movie history.

Rest in peace, Dean Stockwell.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Seen them a couple times in concert. Have the signed poster n everything.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/g...ger-poet-1234872336/

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that. "Tuesday Afternoon" and "Nights in White Satin" were in the rotation on easy rock/classic rock radio for years but stations have dumped just about everything from the 60's over the past several years as they cater more to an audience that remembers MTV and little before. Even with that, you rarely hear their 80's hit "Your Wildest Dreams," which was a good song and had a good video about remembering the 60's.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Gavan O'Herlihy, who played Richie's older brother Chuck on the early episodes of Happy Days (before he disappeared), has died at age 70. He was not in the Topps "Happy Days" series of the 1970s, but was in the later Duocards set.