Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Voice actor Will Ryan (seahorse) Nov 19 2021

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Broadway legend Stephen Sondheim has died at the age of 91.

He's on a few cards. Here is a strip of "Lights of Broadway" trading cards that features him.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sondheim was recently interviewed on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert." I also recall his name being mentioned by Sally Field's character in "Smokey and the Bandit."

Here's another "Lights of Broadway" card from 2015:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Country Music singer Stonewall Jackson Dec 4 2021
From 1958 to 1971 he had 35 top 40 country hits.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bob Dole has died, age 98. He was in Congress for 30 years, ran for president, was impersonated by Norm MacDonald, often referred to himself in the third person, and was decorated for valor in WW2.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Fantasy artist Chris Achilleos has passed away, age 74.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Very sad, I like his work.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Catching up on dead guys:

Actor William Lucking, died 10/18/2021 age 80.

Actress Jan Shutan, died 10/7/2021, age 88

Actress Arlene Dahl, died 11/29/2021, age 96.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Mike Nesmith of the Monkees passed today at 78. Frown

I feel like the other Monkees all had autographs in various Leaf or Panini sets, but I don't believe Nesmith ever signed.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He signed.

What's more, he was a great songwriter, and the most talented of the Monkees.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was sorry to see this too. I didn't know about "The Monkees" until the TV show was in re-runs in the early 70's. It seemed like it was just a Beatles spoof but the whole thing continued to fly off on its own even after the show was over. Those guys were all talented. Someone told me Mickey Dolenz passed away a few years ago but I see he is still with us - the last of the Monkees.

The first card is from the 1968 "Lord Neilson's Star Cards" set (ice cream insert) and the second is from the 4-card promo set (4 x 6-inch cards) given out at the 2003 San Diego Comic-Con.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
They all signed for the Cornerstone Monkees set, and what a beautiful 4-card set that was, each band members' eyes surrounded by a black border with the on-card signature in the area beneath them.

I saw Dolenz & Tork play about 5 years ago, and they still had it. Micky is extremely talented, as was Mike. They should absolutely have entered the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame years ago.

Rest in peace, Mr. Nesmith, you made that wool cap work!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Author Anne Rice has died.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember when that set came out. It wasn't too long after I got back into cards. One of the promos was in NSU and another was in "Combo" magazine. I didn't realize how rare the autographs were. They were 1 per 216 packs according to Allender which I think works out to about 2 per case (250 autographs total from each of the Monkees). Probably tougher to match your set now.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
They all signed for the Cornerstone Monkees set, and what a beautiful 4-card set that was, each band members' eyes surrounded by a black border with the on-card signature in the area beneath them.

I saw Dolenz & Tork play about 5 years ago, and they still had it. Micky is extremely talented, as was Mike. They should absolutely have entered the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame years ago.

Rest in peace, Mr. Nesmith, you made that wool cap work!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actress Cara Williams, from the Golden Age of Hollywood, has died at age 96.

Here she is on a 68 year old card:

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Actress Cara Williams, from the Golden Age of Hollywood, has died at age 96.

Here she is on a 68 year old card:

Impressive knowledge of Old Hollywood. She must have been a B movie actress, because I’ve never heard of her, and I watch a lot of pre-60’s films. Well, RIP, Cara Williams.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
She was in "The Defiant Ones", which is moderately famous. And she played opposite Harry Morgan in "Pete and Gladys", which was his big role before Dragnet and M*A*S*H.

(And don't give me too much credit for knowledge of Old Hollywood -- pretty much every time I see news of an actor [or any other celebrity] dying, I check and see if they had cards. I wasn't familiar with Cara Williams, either <G>.)

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who helped bring about the end of apartheid in South Africa, has died at age 90.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is dead at age 82.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post