Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Charley Pride's death has already been noted, but when I found this on Bob Lemke's blog I couldn't help from posting it.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Mary Wilson, a founding member of the popular 60's group, The Supremes," passed away on February 8. She's standing between Diana Ross and Cindy Birdsong. This card comes from a 1969 Panini set.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Firebrand publisher and 1st Amendment rights advocate Larry Flynt has passed away at age 78.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/10...-obituary/index.html

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Fantasy artist Rowena Morrill, who had a set of cards from FPG (amongst other works), has died.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
RUSH LIMBAUGH, 70

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of my friends was listening to Rush Limbaugh back in the 90's and is still a big fan.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
catskilleagle -- what set is that card from?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's a phone card I saw online. I don't have it so I don't know. I saw a card that was more of a caricature and picked that one instead because it looks more like how people would remember him.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
catskilleagle -- what set is that card from?

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Prince Markie Dee of the Fat Boys passed away. Thought they would have been in the Yo MTV Raps set but do not see them on the checklist.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought he or The Fat Boys might be in the Rap Pack set but they aren't (nor among the prototypes). For some reason all I could find was the back of the card devoted to them in the Legends of Rap set (Super Club Nonbook Publishing, 2007), a German issue in English.

quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
Prince Markie Dee of the Fat Boys passed away. Thought they would have been in the Yo MTV Raps set but do not see them on the checklist.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Early this week, I found out that actor, Bill Daily, passed away on September 4, 2018. He's famous for his roles as Roger Healey on "I Dream of Jeannie" (1965-1970) and Howard Borden on "The Bob Newhart Show" (1972-1978). He was already known in the entertainment world as a comedy writer and stand-up comedian in the 1960's. He co-wrote an episode of "I Dream of Jeannie" as well. I remember him from his appearances on the game show "Match Game" and he and his wife appeared on "Tattletales" at least once.

I know it's irregular to post about the passing of a celebrity two years later but I thought he was still with us until I checked for him on Monday and then checked for a report in this thread back in late 2018 but we missed it. I've always liked "Jeannie" and am a big fan of "The Bob Newhart Show."

As a side note, which Bill Mullins might already know, Daily had a lifelong interest in magic and hosted a couple of TV specials featuring magicians in the 80's.

The two cards below come from the 55 card set (CPT Holdings, 2008) inserted in a special edition box set of the "I Dream of Jeannie" Complete Series: a character card and one showing him with Farrah Fawcett (years before she was an "Angel"), who played his date in a Season 5 episode.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's never too late for a nice tribute with rare cards!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chesspiece. I couldn't let his passing go unnoted. The cards also show several guest stars who are no longer with as well (Arte Johnson, Bernard Fox, Dick Sargent, Gary Owens, Judy Carne, Michael Ansara, Richard Mulligan). Fox passed away just a few years ago and his passing was noted on an early page of this thread.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Arte Johnson, Judy Carne, and Gary Owens can all be found in the Laugh-In set as well. And Ansara has Star Trek cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The great humorist Tony Hendra has died at 79.
A contemporary on the mid 60's British comedy scene alongside the future members of Monty Python, his satirical work as a writer appeared often in the early, classic 70's era of the National Lampoon magazine. In the 80's he produced and wrote for the cutting "Spitting Image" series which poked fun at the celebrities of the day using puppets in addition to working as an actor in a variety of projects.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/t...r-was-79-1234708113/

He played the band's often exasperated manager in "This is Spinal Tap". Here he is pictured on a card from the card set for the movie that was sold on the group's website in 2000 and later through Diamond Previews.

Rest in peace, Tony.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comic artist Frank Thorne, who was associated with the character Red Sonja, has died at age 90.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor David Bailie died on March 5.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
South African actor Cliff Simon was killed in a kiteboarding accident earlier this week.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Longtime news anchor and reporter, Roger Mudd, passed away on March 9. I didn't think he was on a card but he is on one of the Face-to-Face game cards from 1991:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was watching the Grammys during dinner and was sorry to hear that jazz legend and multi-Grammy winner, Chick Corea, passed away on Feb 9. I didn't hear about it last month. I haven't listened to jazz but know some names from friends and family. Chick Corea was already a big deal back in the 70's, already collaborating with numerous other musicians - one of the things he was known for.

Here's card #47 featuring Corea with Gary Burton with whom he had collaborated previously and promoting their 1979 album, "Duet." It's from the "Warner Bros. Records Baseball Cards" promo set sent out to radio stations that year.