Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It would be a nice/fitting tribute to Bernard Cribbins if 'Right Said Fred' could reach Number 1 in the UK singles chart. Viral campaign anyone Big Grin

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
There's a rather amusing animated music video from the 1960s for that song on youtube. One or two people in the comments have mentioned the #1 idea. I'm not sure the song can be bought anywhere...unless streaming on youtube counts?

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The main reason why I was aware of Bernard Cribbins were those "Carry On . . ." movies. I can't remember the last time I saw one, but they used to play on TV. They were often a bit edited because some of the scenes were raunchy, but they could be pretty funny. I read where his wife passed away last year, and they had been married for 56 years. That must have been very hard on him. RIP together.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I think he was only in about 2 original Carry On movies, one of those being a fun parody of James Bond, called Carry On Spying. The other was Carry on Jack on board a ship. The spying movie was one of the early b&w Carry Ons and they had a lot less smut.
The late 60s and 70s ones got a lot more smutty rather than clever innuendo, although I don't remember them being edited much here and they were often on TV on a Saturday afternoon. Smile They weren't any worse than the average seaside postcard really. But what was taken as a bit of a laugh for a Brit might have been scandalous to the USA in those years. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just reading through his entry on IMDB, he was in just about everything Smile

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0187754

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
News reports are starting to hit the internet

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The voice of Ursula from Disney's "Little Mermaid" has passed away at 95, a good run.

https://www.today.com/popcultu...rmaid-dies-rcna40878
Here's her famous character on a pop-up card from the 1991 ProSet series.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just learned that the voice of Ursula was comedian/actress, Pat Carroll. She was in a lot of stuff in the 70's. As a kid, I saw her on game shows. She was on Match Game. There are a few people I didn't know well (or at all) from their work but recognized from their appearances on game shows (Sandy Duncan, Fannie Flagg, Brett Somers, Elaine Joyce, Anita Gillette to name a few).

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
From the Topps "Bobby Sherman" set:

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great find, Bill!
Love her expression on that card.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Leave it up to Bill to find the weird sh....uhm stuff. Big Grin

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's what I was going to say. Instead, I'll say, "Great work, Bill." I was thinking with all the work she did, she had to be on some kind of card.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Great find, Bill!
Love her expression on that card.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
RIP Roger Mosley, age 83. He was in a car wreck three days ago and passed from his injuries. He was a helicopter pilot in real life, but was not allowed to do his own stunts on Magnum, PI.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Years ago (and maybe even before Tom Selleck started his long run with "Blue Bloods") there was talk of a "Magnum P.I." remake in the works. Selleck said something like he and the guys could get together for that but the producers ended up going with a new cast. John Hillerman passed some time before anyway. It wouldn't have been the same without him. You definitely can't do it now without Mosley.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
RIP Roger Mosley, age 83. He was in a car wreck three days ago and passed from his injuries. He was a helicopter pilot in real life, but was not allowed to do his own stunts on Magnum, PI.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As noted in the "Obituaries" section, Judith Durham, the lead singer of the Australian 60's pop group, The Seekers, passed away on August 5, 2022. She left the band in 1968 and went on to have a successful, award winning solo career, reuniting with The Seekers in 1992. They continued to perform together for many years after that.

Here's a Dutch Gum card (1966-1968?) featuring The Seekers' original line-up.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This one saddens me more than it seems like it ought to. Olivia Newton John has died at age 73 from breast cancer. I was never a huge fan of hers (my brother was), but she was all over the airwaves when I was in high school. RIP.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comics artist Tom Palmer died yesterday, age 81. Years ago, I sent him a Marvel Masterpieces card in hopes he would sign it. Not only did he sign it, he sent me his original layout sketch that he had done for the card. How cool! And in addition to that, he was a great artist, and one of Marvel's best inkers in the 1960s and 1970s. RIP

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In addition to his outstanding finishes and inking, he provided some truly classic cover paintings, including for Marvel's 1980's Star Wars comics.

That sketch he sent you, wow! The Marvel Masterpieces line remains very popular to this day. Beyond the sentimental value, that piece would also hold substantial collector value.

I have pack-issued autographs of Tom from Fleer/Skybox "Marvel Silver Age", Dynamic Forces "Kick-A**" movie cards, and I think from a DF "Red Sonja" set. I'll add a pic of the MSA card to the post when I'm on my other computer, since it shows the artist himself.

Rest in peace, Tom Palmer.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've always been more of a card collector than a comic collector. There was a time when I was going to get more into it and the title I concentrated on was Star Wars so the cover of #1 is something imprinted in my mind forever. Maybe this weekend, I'll dig out that box and look at them again.

Thank you Tom Palmer.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
In addition to his outstanding finishes and inking, he provided some truly classic cover paintings, including for Marvel's 1980's Star Wars comics.

That sketch he sent you, wow! The Marvel Masterpieces line remains very popular to this day. Beyond the sentimental value, that piece would also hold substantial collector value.

I have pack-issued autographs of Tom from Fleer/Skybox "Marvel Silver Age", Dynamic Forces "Kick-A**" movie cards, and I think from a DF "Red Sonja" set. I'll add a pic of the MSA card to the post when I'm on my other computer, since it shows the artist himself.

Rest in peace, Tom Palmer.