Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Sidney Poitier has died at age 94. He was the first black actor to win an Oscar.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Catching up on deaths I missed . . .

Ed Shames, one of the "Band of Brothers" as portrayed in the HBO series, died at age 99 on Dec. 3.

British actress Sally Ann Howe, who played Truly Scruptious in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", died Dec. 19 at age 91.

R&B singer Joe Simon died on Dec. 13 at age 85.

Hip-hop artist Kangol Kid died Dec. 18 of colon cancer, age 55.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Actor Sidney Poitier has died at age 94. He was the first black actor to win an Oscar.

First black male actor.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I guess the distinction is important if you don't think Hattie McDaniel was an actress.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Peter Bogdanovich's passing yesterday is noted in the Obituaries thread but I had a vague memory that he was on a card. It's not in "Famous Film Directors" which mostly celebrates pre-1970's artists and it's not in "Hollywood Walk of Fame." It was hitting me that it was in a set you wouldn't automatically associate him with and then it came to me while reading his Wiki page. Here's the unsigned autograph card for "The Sopranos." Allender hadn't pinned down if it was a card for the set that came out (Inkworks, 2005) - something printed but a deal couldn't be made with Bogdanovich so it was never released - or if it was intended for a second series that was never made. It only appeared on the market after Inkworks went out of business.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's the unsigned autograph card for "The Sopranos." Allender hadn't pinned down if it was a card for the set that came out (Inkworks, 2005) - something printed but a deal couldn't be made with Bogdanovich so it was never released - or if it was intended for a second series that was never made. It only appeared on the market after Inkworks went out of business.

See how long it takes for a "signed" version to show up now. Wink I hate "unsigned and certified cards".

Something about Bogdanovich which was skated over in his obits was his involvement with the "Star 80" Dorothy Stratten murder. He was her new boyfriend when her Ex killed her. He reminded me a lot of the Robert Evans type in that period. It was Hollywood of a certain era, but not all of it was glamorous fun.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He took up with Cybill Shepherd when he was 32 and she was 21; with Dorothy Stratten when he was 42 and she was 21; and he married Dorothy's sister Louise when he was 49 and she was 20 (although Hugh Hefner said that Bogdanovich seduced Louise when she was 13.)

At any rate, he was creepy. Like Woody Allen.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh man, that sucks. I need to watch "The Aristocrats" in his memory.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dwayne Hickman the star of 50s sitcom "Dobie Gillis" has died.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Oh man, that sucks. I need to watch "The Aristocrats" in his memory.

Just saw his show a few months ago at Stand Up Live.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was sorry to hear of his passing yesterday. I didn't watch "Full House" and didn't see much of the videos show. I knew him mostly as a comedian and his guest spots on "Entourage" in which he played himself.

I will remember him for his drive to bring more awareness to and fund research for finding treatment for scleroderma, a particularly nasty and often deadly disease. It killed his sister in the early 90's when it was much less-understood and even misdiagnosed. He directed and produced a truly heart-breaking movie, "For Hope," starring Dana Delany, based on her battle. I watched it back then and it was tough to watch. I can't imagine how tough it was to go through that again while also knowing he was doing what he could to help take down that rare disease in the future and extend the lives of those who have it now.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yvette Mimieux

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that. My mom remembers her from her early movies. I remember her from "The Time Machine." Those Morlocks were super-scary when I was 10 - as scary as those flying monkeys in "The Wizard of Oz."

Yeah, "The Black Hole" set might be the only licensed photo cards she would be in. There's a depiction of her on "The Time Machine" movie poster artwork made into a card in one of the Breygent sets but it doesn't really highlight her. I thought there might have been an old set for the movie but there's just a more recent custom-made one from England.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Charles McGee, who was one of the Tuskegee Airmen and flew over 400 combat missions in WW2, Korea and Vietnam, has died at age 102.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As noted in the "Obituaries" thread, Emmy-winning actor and accomplished comedian, Louie Anderson, has passed away. He was a guy who always seemed to get work across a career going back to the mid-80's. He was even the host of "Family Feud " for a few years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The music world mourns again today. Don Wilson, rhythm guitarist and co-founding member of the influential instrumental rock group, The Ventures, passed away January 22. He was the last surviving member of what Rolling Stone magazine called its classic line-up of the mid-60's. Their "Walk, Don't Run" single released in 1960 was their biggest hit (and a hit again in 1964 when "surf rock" was in its heyday) and was a song that numerous guitarists of the 70's learned when they were kids. If you don't know the title, check it out and you will say, "Oh, that song."

This is card #264 from the Legends subset of the "SuperStars MusiCards Series 2" set (Pro Set, 1992).

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
A gifted French actor passed away at 37, and already had a wonderful career.

Gaspard Ulliel died after a ski accident. You might remember him for Saint Laurent or Hannibal Rising, where he portrayed a frightening young Hannibal Lecter.

I have no idea if there was a card with him, but there might be in the future, as he's starring in the upcoming Marvel series Moon Knight, as Anton Mogart/Midnight Man.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post