Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Longtime news anchor and reporter, Roger Mudd, passed away on March 9. I didn't think he was on a card but he is on one of the Face-to-Face game cards from 1991:

Nerd Note on Roger Mudd...the doctor who set John Wilkes Booth's broken leg after he shot Lincoln was Roger Mudd's grandfather (great maybe?). I heard him say so when I was a kid.

End of Nerd Note.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Additional Nerd Note #2 - that’s where the derogatory term “your name is Mud(d)” comes from.

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Yaphet Kotto has died at age 81. I liked him in the series Homicide.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yaphet Kotto has been one of the more limited autograph signers, having appeared on just 2 Bond RA cards in 2006 and 2007, and only showing up on UD's Alien cards in 2017. He seemed to have a problem with Alien because I can't recall reading of his involvement with any post tributes, although he did voice a video game.

He stopped making films in the 90's and did just some little TV work afterwards. He has been more or less retired and living outside the US for many years. Kotto had a very impressive screen presence and was great in Alien. I always thought he could have had a much bigger career, but don't know why it didn't happen.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Henry Darrow passed away on Mar. 14, age 87. He played two different roles in the Star Trek universe.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
To me, Henry Darrow was always Manolito Montoya.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actress Jessica Walter, from "Arrested Development" and the Clint Eastwood movie "Play Misty for Me", has died age 80.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My mom watched her "Amy Prentiss" show. I didn't see "Play Misty for Me" until sometime in the 80's. I haven't gotten around to seeing much of "Arrested Development" though my brother has seen every episode (he and I still laugh at the name, "Bob Loblaw") but I'm a big fan of "Archer," in which she has a big part. Jessica Walter was a great actress.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Walter's career spanned 58 years and she was still working. Her husband, actor Ron Leibman, passed away in December 2019. Saw a lot of both of them in films and on TV. Again sorry to hear it.

Another good bit, Jessica Walter as the wealthy lab donor with a yen for Leonard in the Big Bang. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Leibman had a long career too. He had his own show, "Kaz," in the 70's (I think he was married to Linda Lavin at the time) and he played Jennifer Aniston's dad on "Friends." He even voiced Jessica Walter's husband on "Archer." We're losing people I knew from the 70's right and left.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Walter's career spanned 58 years and she was still working. Her husband, actor Ron Leibman, passed away in December 2019. Saw a lot of both of them in films and on TV. Again sorry to hear it.

Another good bit, Jessica Walter as the wealthy lab donor with a yen for Leonard in the Big Bang. Big Grin

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
George Segal has passed away at 87, ending a 60 year career onscreen lasting all the way to as yet unaired episodes of his current series, "The Goldbergs" on ABC. On that program, set in the 1980's, Segal played "Pops" Solomon, grandpa to young Adam Goldberg, named for the creator of the show on whose childhood the series is based. He will be greatly missed on the show.

Here's a GPK homage card showing the Goldberg family with "Pops" to the upper right.

Segal also starred on the NBC-TV series "Just Shoot Me" in the late 90's and a slew of memorable movies prior to that including "Where's Poppa", "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf", the original "Fun With Dick & Jane".

He also played a mean banjo, as I recall.
Rest in peace, George.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found a shot of a signed Frank Thorne card on the web after having a vague memory of seeing him on a card somewhere. He's not in the Famous Comic Book Creators set (Eclipse, 1992) but he is in the Update set that came out the year after. I might have one of those sets in a box somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Comic artist Frank Thorne, who was associated with the character Red Sonja, has died at age 90.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Paul Ritter has passed away, age 54. He died of a brain tumor.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I discovered today that actress Myra Frances (wife of Peter Egan) died on 30th March 2021 aged 78. She did not appear in much and according to IMDb her last performance was in 1984 however prior to that in 1979 she was the main villain in the Dr Who serial The Creature from the Pit as Lady Adrasta. I did however find a card although it does not have her name or character name on it.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

The image is from Strictly Ink's Doctor Who Companions-Doctors-Villains (Trilogy) card #195

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Lotta dead people today.

Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth's husband, and father-in-law of whoever Charles happens to be married to, passed on at age 99.

Rapper DMX was 50, up until today at least. He won't get any older . . .

And actor Phil Eason died at age 60 on April 6.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ponzi-schemer Bernie Madoff died in prison a couple of days ago, age 82.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Felix Silla of "Buck Rogers" and "Addams Family" fame died yesterday. He was 84 years old.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of more Felix Silla cards:-

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's sad to read about Felix Silla's passing. My brothers and I liked the "Buck Rogers" movie and TV show. I expected that one of the card companies would have done a new set with that by now. It had a lot famous guest stars like Jamie Lee Curtis and Jack Palance. I caught most of an episode about two weeks ago and noticed Dennis Haysbert in what must have been one of his early TV appearances.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
bi-da-bi-da-bi-get down, Buck!

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post