Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
So sad, she was very beautiful.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
very sad, i spoke with her a few times at shows, very nice lady. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize Honor Blackman was 94 years old. She was almost 40 when Goldfinger came out and that was her big international hit. Those first few seasons of the Avengers with her playing Cathy Gale were not aired here at the time and have still rarely been shown. Sorry to hear of her passing.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
What set is that autograph from?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by cardaddict:
What set is that autograph from?

James Bond Archives 2009.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Al Kaline - 85

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding Honor Blackman, are she and Claudine Auger (who passed a few months ago) the only 2 "lead" Bond women from the 007 films who have passed ? I believe that they are.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was sorry to hear about Kaline. He retired around the time I started collecting baseball cards so I have a couple of his. He played his whole 22-year career with the Tigers. It's tough enough to last that long in pro sports but what are the odds to do it all with one team? They'd be even more astronomical now.

I don't think he was ever on a non-sports card. Mickey Mantle and Orel Hershiser have cards that promote their autobiographies. Ted Williams is on one that promotes a limited edition print (photo of him, Bobby Orr, and Larry Bird) and Wade Boggs has one pitching a batting practice machine. Bob Uecker has one that announces a charity event.

Jess

quote:
Al Kaline - 85

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
And he was so famous they named a battery after him.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin I had to think about that one.

Jess, I have a card made for Mr. Coffee that was signed by Joe DiMaggio. Haven't seen it in years, but its some place. The story was that it was done at corporate appearances and the signature looked legit. But who knows? So many of his autographs were his sister too.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cartoonist Mort Drucker has died (not of coronavirus) at age 91. He was best known for his work on Mad Magazine, where he started in 1956. I couldn't find any Mad cards with his art, but he did other things as well.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Singer Bill Withers passed away at age 81 a few days ago. I really enjoyed his songs, mostly from the 1970s.

And actor Timothy Brown, who played "Spearchucker Jones" on both the movie and TV show M*A*S*H has died. By the time the Donruss MASH set came out in 1982, he had long been off the show and did not appear on a MASH card. But he previously had played pro football, so . . .

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It might have been hilarious in chemistry class in the 60's and I admire the thought process. It makes me wonder if Al Kaline's name gave someone the play-on-words idea for the All-Star Toons (Topps) and maybe the Wacky Players (Sunkist) sets of the late 80's/early 90's.

I'd like to see that Mr. Coffee card. I heard whenever he was in the San Jose area, he'd eat at Original Joe's (a great Italian place downtown).

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Big Grin I had to think about that one.

Jess, I have a card made for Mr. Coffee that was signed by Joe DiMaggio. Haven't seen it in years, but its some place. The story was that it was done at corporate appearances and the signature looked legit. But who knows? So many of his autographs were his sister too.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought Jack Davis did the Wacky Players sets. Maybe others worked on it too.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Cartoonist Mort Drucker has died (not of coronavirus) at age 91. He was best known for his work on Mad Magazine, where he started in 1956. I couldn't find any Mad cards with his art, but he did other things as well.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

There were several Wacky Players sets.

Of the cards I've seen, Davis did the Football and Basketball, and Drucker did the Baseball.

Football

Basketball

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Known to us in the Uk was eddie Large of Liitle and Large. Eddie died on 2nd April of the Covid-19 Virus. He is pictured below along with Syd Little on a card taken from Golden Wonder's TV All Stars. I have taken to images from that well known auction site. The cards themselves were issued with either round corners or square corners.

[IMG:left]

[IMG:left][url=https://postimg.cc/8F4qWkdV]
[/IMG][/IMG] url][/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. I not familiar with many of the British actors and the cards they appeared on. But just a heads up -- ebay images tend not to be "stable". Often after the sale is over, the seller will pull down the images.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I like those cards - just have a couple of them. I have a few more of the dinosaur cards.

Jess

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

There were several Wacky Players sets.

Of the cards I've seen, Davis did the Football and Basketball, and Drucker did the Baseball.

Football

Basketball

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the post. I not familiar with many of the British actors and the cards they appeared on. But just a heads up -- ebay images tend not to be "stable". Often after the sale is over, the seller will pull down the images.

Bill

These should not be a problem as they are not linked to ebay as I download the pictures and if necessary tidy them up but thanks for the heads up.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post