Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Once again, no parallel versions of me. I am a singularity. Wink

I always know the many times when I post something you agree with me on CPF. I don't hear from you. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Celebrity and media reaction to Gottfried's death is abundant and sad. All of a sudden, he was a comic genius and everyone has a story about him. Meanwhile he wasn't heard from for the last few years because he got cancelled out with the Aflac flap and no one put up much of a stink.

It would have been nice if all these people were saying such nice things about him while he was still alive. Roll Eyes

His podcast is consistently top-rated, and I think it has won awards. I listen (well, now listenED, I guess Frown) regularly. It's a really good show, he and a co-host interview old Hollywood stars, musicians, writers... basically anyone with some celebrity. If you were a listener, you would know how beloved he is. Within the last 2 years there was a documentary about him released called "Gilbert", definitely worth checking out to see the man behind the screaming voice. Just because he hasn't had a high-profile gig in a while doesn't mean he's been irrelevant. He has been widely regarded as a comic genius for decades, and everybody has a story about him because they all loved him.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Well said, Ted.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Once again, no parallel versions of me. I am a singularity. Wink

I always know the many times when I post something you agree with me on CPF. I don't hear from you. Big Grin

Alas, time is fleeting.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Just because he hasn't had a high-profile gig in a while doesn't mean he's been irrelevant. He has been widely regarded as a comic genius for decades, and everybody has a story about him because they all loved him.

The layers of celebrity are a fascinating study. So many trend setters and ground breakers often pass the torch to others to carry the popularity banner. Also when one stops working in a particular style of work less people tend to see them. Recently I got autograph cards from Bernadette Peters and Bobcat Goldthwait. Even though I hadn't seen either of them in decades I was amazed with all they had been involved in since.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
After searching various obituary sites, there are a number of folks who were on cards that we haven't noted here yet.

General John Singlaub, who was in the CIA when it was founded, and got caught up in the Iran-Contra scandal. Died 1/29.

Singer Joni James, died 2/20.

Kathryn Hays, who played "Gem" in ST:TOS "The Empath." Died 3/25.

Taylor Hawkins, drummer for the Foo Fighters, died 3/25.

Broadway and film actor Robert Morse, died 4/20.

Mwai Kibaki, died 4/21, former president of Kenya.

Congressman Orrin Hatch, died 4/23.

Andrew Woolfolk of Earth, Wind & Fire. Died 4/24.

Canadian signer Susan Jacks, died 4/25.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comic book artist Neal Adams has died, age 80. When I was a big comic collector in the 1970, Adams was my favorite artist. I got to meet him at an Atlanta Comics and Fantasy Fair, about 1978. He signed a page of original art for me, and an issue of Green Lanter that he had drawn. He was the dominant Batman artist of the era (I think he was the best Batman artist ever).

His relation to non-sports cards is primarily through his comic art -- most of the cards that feature his work are reprints from the comics medium.

Here's an FTCC Marvel Superheroe First Issue Covers card that's a comic reprint, signed by him.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Comic book artist Neal Adams has died, age 80. When I was a big comic collector in the 1970, Adams was my favorite artist.
I was a big comic collector in the late 70s through the 80s. I still have all of his X-men issues in my collection. Very sad to hear he has passed away.

For anyone who wants to read a bit more, there is quite a good write up of his comic work over on Nerdist:

https://nerdist.com/article/ne...-creator-dies-at-80/

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Back in February we were discussing some Neal Adams promo cards in the "Greatest Hits - picture of rarer promos" thread. I think it was about Valeria and Jaguarundi cards. Adams signed lots of cards and comics.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Absolute legend of comics art, commerce, and history. He is THE Batman artist and will remain so considered for a long time, I think. His influence on what Batman looks and acts like today is mighty, perhaps even transcending his name. Not everyone will know "Neal Adams", but everyone has seen his work.

Neal drew the legendary Superman/Ali treasury with classic celebrity crowd cover.

Here's a pair of Classic "Deathwatch" Neal Adams signature cards, both of which I pulled from packs myself (which was quite thrilling way back then when randomly inserted signed cards was a new thing).

I was lucky to meet him a few times. He was a no-nonsense guy, a real throwback, and man, he made it work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was online several minutes ago when I saw that flash that Naomi Judd has passed away at the age of 76. She was a talented singer who performed with one of her daughters as "The Judds" and they were a successful duo in the 80's until she had to retire early for medical reasons in 1991. I see Raven has noted it in the Obituaries section but here's a card.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I couldn't let Neal Adams' passing go without comment nor card. I don't have much of a comic collection but my youngest brother has all sorts of stuff and still collects. My nephew has gotten into it too. As a card collector, I'd see his name across several sets - some connected to comics like Batman, Mr. T and the T-Force, and various Continuity Comics. Below is a quick idea of the range of cards that feature his art.

There's a Continuity Comics promo (rare holo-foil variant), a DC Comics Super Heroes Collector Card that was inserted with a die-cast metal figure and features cover art from Batman #251, a Mr. T and the T-Force comic insert promo, and a signed "Rise of Magic" card (oversized, connected to comics) that was given out at the 1993 National.

Yeah, Raven brought up the Jaguarundi autograph card. I thought it was pretty crazy that they are serial-numbered out of 7500. Is that the biggest autograph card run in card history?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Yeah, Raven brought up the Jaguarundi autograph card. I thought it was pretty crazy that they are serial-numbered out of 7500. Is that the biggest autograph card run in card history?

Probably close, but I have a Jae Lee autographed Hellshock 1994 card #1231/10000, so not the biggest run. These guys were artists. They thought nothing of signing anything to promote their work.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor David Birney died on Apr 27 from Alzheimers disease. He was 83 years old.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was looking for something unrelated when I came across a mention of Ric Parnell's passing on May 1. He played the drummer in the classic documentary spoof, "This is Spinal Tap." There was a 36-card set that was offered on the Spinal Tap website in the early 2000's and you see it for sale here and there. Here's card #1 with Parnell on the right, in front.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Norman Lloyd, who worked on Orson Welles's Mercury Theater in the 1930s, has died at the age of 106.
He was in movies directed by Hitchcock, and played tennis with Charlie Chaplin.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Loved Norman on "St. Elsewhere", definitely one of the best characters on that classic series. He played an elderly doctor who was dying on the show, and looked it, so for the actual man to go on for another 40 years is something special.
Rest in peace, sir.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Norman Lloyd died last year on May 11. Are you testing us? What did I win?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Norman Lloyd died last year on May 11.

Yes he did. In fact, someone reported it in this thread.

All I can say is that I saw a headline saying that Lloyd had died. I didn't check it out, and I didn't remember last year's thread.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comic book artist George Perez has died of pancreatic cancer at age 67.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Country musician and nightclub owner Mickey Gilley has died, age 86. He was survived by his cousins, Jerry Lee Lewis and Jimmy Swaggart.