Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That's sad. Believe it or not, I have never watched a single episode of Mash, or Seinfeld, or Friends, or Cheers, or....

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I remember Nurse Kellye.

I don't know how you missed those shows. Even if you were trying to avoid them, they'd be on at a friend's or relative's place when you visited. That's some weird luck you have.

"MASH" is a great movie and TV show with a great last episode. "Seinfeld" was a fantastic show that touched on some funny, random things that were happening in the 90's though it had a lousy last episode (the second-to-last one, the compilation, was great). I thought of "Friends" as a fantasy that asked the question, "Can a paleontologist end up with Jennifer Aniston even though he's kind of a jerk." "Cheers" was so good that one of its characters was strong enough to carry his own show for another ten years.

I do have to agree with Ross that they were on a break.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
That's sad. Believe it or not, I have never watched a single episode of Mash, or Seinfeld, or Friends, or Cheers, or....

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ja'Net DuBois, perhaps best known for the 1970s sit-com "Good Times" has died at 74.

I know that Topps did a Good Times card set in 1975. Not sure if she's on any cards.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I think that set only featured the main 5 family members as it was made early on in the show's run. Dubois became a much bigger part of the show later along. She's was a talented woman, having also been the co-writer and singer of "Movin' On Up", the classic theme song of the series, "The Jeffersons".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Diana Serra Cary, who performed in silent movies as child star "Baby Peggy", has died at age 101. She was (probably) the last living star of the silent era, and was likely the person with the oldest non-sport trading cards. She had several cards from the 1920s. Olivia de Havilland and Marsha Hunt are still alive, and both appear on cards from the late 1930s.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Egypt's former president, Hosni Mubarak, has died.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The forerm Secretary General of the United Nations, Javier Perez de Cuellar, has died.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hmm, seems like it's not a good time to have been featured in the Topps Desert Storm set..

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Max von Sydow has passed, age 90. My favorite role of his was Joubert, the Alsatian, in Three Days of the Condor. But he played many other characters.

Also recently deceased are country music singer Jim Owen

actress Lynn Cohen

and actor R. D. Call

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree, he was fantastic as the hit man in "Three Days of the Condor." Joubert was such a professional. He admired Condor, an amateur in the field but he was sharp and kept his cool. That was a great movie based on a great book which isn't page-heavy yet it added three days to Condor's predicament.

Van Sydow was active until recently even appearing in "The Force Awakens" in which I wished he'd had a larger part.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He also did the voice of Vigo the Carpathian

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I adored von Sydow, he was a fine actor, and adept at all kinds of roles. A personal favorite from my childhood was his teriffic turn as Ming the Merciless in 1980's "Flash Gordon". Legend. Rest in peace.

Also didn't want to forget Ben Cooper, who passed away on February 24th.

https://www.hollywoodreporter....terns-was-86-1281129

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apollo astronaut Al Worden has passed, age 88.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Lyle Waggoner of "The Carol Burnett Show" & "Wonder Woman" at age 84 on March 17th.

Legendary singer Kenny Rogers at the age of 81 on March 20th.

Rest in peace, gentlemen.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had heard Rogers passed earlier this morning but am just now reading about Waggoner. Yeah, he was best known from "Wonder Woman" and "The Carol Burnett Show" but he did a lot of guest spots elsewhere too. Rogers was already a big deal from his time with "The New Christy Minstrels" before he went solo in the early 70's. His music (and Linda Rondstadt's and Anne Murray's) helped my mom during a rough time when she and my dad were separated and eventually divorced. She had all his albums and she played them all the time when I was a kid. Because of that, I can still sing along to his hits and a number of songs that were not released as singles.

Thanks for helping my mom feel better, Kenny. I'll always remember you for that.

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Lyle Waggoner of "The Carol Burnett Show" & "Wonder Woman" at age 84 on March 17th.

When he died, I had tried to find a Waggoner card to post. What set is that from? Is it a custom printed card?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was made for a show Lyle was signing at in March of 2019. There was at least one more in the series of an actor who tried out for Robin for the same series, but lost the part to Burt Ward.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post

Peter Deyell
Screentested (as Robin) for the 1966 "Batman" TV series alongside Lyle Waggoner (as Batman). Portions of this are seen on "Hollywood Screentests, Take 1".

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Country music star Joe Diffie has passed away at age 61, from complications of the coronavirus. To my knowldege, he is the first person who appears on nonsport cards to suffer that fate. I hope there aren't many more.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And then there were two.

Andrew Jack, who was a dialect coach for the recent Star Wars films, and played Caluan Ematt in two of them, has passed away in England, age 72, from complications of the Coronavirus.