Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's okay. Rambles, detours, asides, and non-sequiturs are allowed. This isn't a legal proceeding.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Kind of like the discussions we have about the dividing lines for vintage and modern cards. How do you call a card made in 1981 and a card made in 2021 both modern when the process is nothing alike? We need another name for cards made after 2010 or so. Sorry to ramble in obits.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Okay, here's a detour.
With tears in my eyes I upload my little Midnight's picture to the internet.
I lost her two years ago today.
May she rest in peace.

Wow, that came out extra large, if inappropriate, Moderator, feel free to delete!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
She's adorable. Having pets can be wonderful, but it will break your heart. I know. So sorry for your loss.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the local evening news, I heard that Sarah Dash passed away yesterday. She was a member of Labelle, the R&B group including Patti La Belle that had the superhit, "Lady Marmalade," in 1974 (you know, "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir!").

She and La Belle had both been members of a 60's group, Patti La Belle & The Blue Belles. The card below is from the Music Nostalgia set (1986). The photo on the card front is circa 1966 before Cindy Birdsong left the group to join The Supremes.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Character actor Willie Garson (hundreds of IMDB credits) has died of cancer, age 57.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing Willie in a couple of episodes of Stargate SG-1.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He played Lee Harvey Oswald on the 1992 episode of "Quantum Leap."

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Jean Hale Aug 3, 2021

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Who doesn't remember Jean Hale from In Like Flint? Big Grin She was married to Dabney Coleman for quite awhile, a long time long ago. RIP Ms. Hale.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who doesn't remember Jean Hale from In Like Flint? Big Grin She was married to Dabney Coleman for quite awhile, a long time long ago. RIP Ms. Hale.

I remember her fighting over a fur coat with one of the gangsters in St Valentines Day Massacre. That must have been an interesting shoot....talk about wardrobe malfunction. Smile

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's a great card, Mykdude. Great photo. I'm sorry to hear of her passing.

"In Like Flint" and "Our Man Flint" were great movies. It has been said that spy movie spoofs also have to be great spy movies and those were a lot of fun. Lesser-known is the third Derek Flint film but it was a 70's TV-movie with Flint working as a private eye. What? Would there be a movie about a retired James Bond finding work as a travel agent? As you might guess, that movie was dull and humorless. That would be some challenge doing any kind of Flint movie on a 70's TV movie budget, but at the very least, it has to look like it was fun to make.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:

I remember her fighting over a fur coat with one of the gangsters in St Valentines Day Massacre. That must have been an interesting shoot....talk about wardrobe malfunction. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the late news I heard that Ray Fosse passed away today. He was a catcher for a few teams across his baseball career during the 60's and 70's but was part of two championship-winning teams with the Oakland A's. In the 80's, he was hired to be a color commentator for A's games and he worked even well into this past season. I watched some of those games. His voice still sounded like it did when he started.

I was going to post this in the Obituaries thread but there's a sketch of Fosse out there - a 50-card serial-numbered edition by artist Edward Vela. I'm going to say that it counts as a non-sport card so I put it in this thread. If I'm overruled by Alan Beigel, or his brother Ian, so be it.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not able to overrule, so I will only frown on the appearance of a baseball card in this thread. If it had been Bob Fosse . . .

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I was going to post this in the Obituaries thread but there's a sketch of Fosse out there - a 50-card serial-numbered edition by artist Edward Vela. I'm going to say that it counts as a non-sport card so I put it in this thread. If I'm overruled by Alan Beigel, or his brother Ian, so be it.

Nice to know Ian will live on. Big Grin

Why does Fosse look like Thurman Munson in that sketch? Razz And far be it for me to say Jess, but if the other 49 sketches are of baseball players, you have a sports card. If you have any of Vela's pinups in there, I'll give it to you. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Vela isn't a licensed release nor is it a set. I even question the term "artist". This isn't a sketch it is just his standard style card which he has hundreds (if not thousands) of subjects.

Don't get me wrong I like what he produces but he is flying under the radar. He numbers the first 50 cards of a print run and then pushes unnumbered after that.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I understand it to be 50 copies of a sketch of Ray Fosse - prints of a sketch or are they all sketches? The subject is a baseball player but Vela draws many celebrities. Since Fosse was also a broadcaster and it's an art card, it would qualify as a non-sports card or at least hover in that gray area we've talked about in another thread.

quote:
quote:

Nice to know Ian will live on. Big Grin

Why does Fosse look like Thurman Munson in that sketch? Razz And far be it for me to say Jess, but if the other 49 sketches are of baseball players, you have a sports card. If you have any of Vela's pinups in there, I'll give it to you. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I took some time the other day to look at a lot of Vela cards. I noticed the Catherine Bach ones are versions of some of the publicity photos of her from her "Dukes of Hazard" days. Is Vela doing some kind of recolorizing of images to make them look like a sketch? I'll have to show some of these to my brother who is a graphic artist. In any case thanks for letting me know they aren't licensed.

Yeah, there are tons of them.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Vela isn't a licensed release nor is it a set. I even question the term "artist". This isn't a sketch it is just his standard style card which he has hundreds (if not thousands) of subjects.

Don't get me wrong I like what he produces but he is flying under the radar. He numbers the first 50 cards of a print run and then pushes unnumbered after that.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
"Is Vela doing some kind of recolorizing of images to make them look like a sketch?"

That is the general consensus and the evidence seems to point in that direction. They seem to get cranked out much faster than an artist could produce them.

This one of Tiffany (the Mall singer) is right out of her Playboy spread.

Still they are nice quality cards and if you want something different to have a celebrity sign these are generally a cheap alternative.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Vela doing some kind of recolorizing of images to make them look like a sketch?
[/QUOTE]

That would be an interesting topic to start in another thread, especially since your brother is an artist and we collectors often don't get the information we could use. I know some of the best and most expensive sketches look like paintings of screen grabs and I'm not sure how they do it. Talent or technology? Should make the subject separate for discussion.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
We can do that....and back on topic General Powell passed away. Covid complications