Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Gerry Marsden of the 1960s rock group "Gerry and the Pacemakers" died on Jan 3.

Wasn't he on some cards, maybe from the UK ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If he was, find them and post them.

John Reilly, who was on General Hospital for quite some time, died a couple of days ago. He was 84 or 86, depending on where you look.

And Julie Strain was incorrectly announced as dead about a year ago. Well, the announcement seems to be correct now. Age 58, "six foot one and worth the climb".

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was very sorry to hear about Julie Strain's passing. As you know, Bill, she's on a ton of cards. You show one of her Bench Warmer cards and the back of one of her promo cards for "Julie Strain's Bettie 2000" (Comic Images, 1997). She was the subject of Julie Strain's Marilyn 2000 (Comic Images, 1999) as well and appeared in other Comic Images sets as a model for Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, and Olivia De Berardinis.

She was in a bunch of 80's and 90's B-movies and San Diego Comic Con attendees will always remember her appearances. I think it was in 1999 that she wowed the crowd in a Vampirella costume at a time when she was an official model for Harris Comics. She was on several covers of that comic.

Below is a Bench Warmer II promo card from 1993, the Marilyn 2000 3-card sheet (related to but a separate Comic Images product from the similarly named Julie Strain's Marilyn 2000 trading card set), and a card from the 5-card Vampirella chromium promo set (Harris Comics, 2000) said to be a giveaway to Scarlet Legion (Vampirella fan club) members. The Marilyn 2000 sheet was for sale but Comic Images also gave some away to their Collector Club members. That's how I got that one.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I know Julie Strain signed cards for at least Scream Queens 4. maybe others. Scream Queens was one of those fringe adult products that included autographs from C grade film vixens in various stages of undress. I wouldn't try to post her card from that one. Big Grin

Strain was one of the better known names. It's too bad that she died at a fairly young age, but she really was unwell for a long time. RIP.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I saw another promo that I couldn't post too.

She wore some wild outfits in her career, and sometimes nothing at all, and she seemed to have a sense of humor about it all.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I know Julie Strain signed cards for at least Scream Queens 4. maybe others. Scream Queens was one of those fringe adult products that included autographs from C grade film vixens in various stages of undress. I wouldn't try to post her card from that one. Big Grin

Strain was one of the better known names. It's too bad that she died at a fairly young age, but she really was unwell for a long time. RIP.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven has posted in the other thread that long time character actor Peter Mark Richman has died.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was sad to read that Mira Furlan, known to card collectors from her roles in "Babylon 5" and "Lost," passed away on January 20.

Her "mystery" card from "Babylon 5: Special Edition:

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Longtime broadcaster and interviewer Larry King died this morning, with Covid, at age 87.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cloris Leachman has died, age 94. Too bad there is no "Young Frankenstein" set. The Frau Blucher card would be a prize.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Baseball legend, Hank Aaron, passed away on January 22. Obviously, he's on a lot of sports cards but he's also on some cards that are more in a gray area between sports and non-sports. Aaron is the subject of card #1 in the "Baseball: The American Epic" promo set, cards that promote a special 80-card set by Upper Deck (1994) and the PBS documentary on which it is based, "Baseball" by Ken Burns.

He also appears on a 1992 show promo that is part of a set announcing various sports memorabilia auction sales.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piperh33:
The British-French Michael Lonsdale died today at the age of 89.

He played the villain Hugo Drax in the James Bond "Moonraker" in 1979.

This gentleman could pass as Peter Dinklage's father, in my opinion.
RIP sir.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dustin Diamond, of "Saved By the Bell" fame, dead at 44.

Here are some of his cards

https://www.google.com/search?...imgrc=GNq_y4zRjzyl_M

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Dustin Diamond, of "Saved By the Bell" fame, dead at 44.

Wow, that was a surprise for me, and a serious bummer.

Probably 8-10 years ago I saw his stand up routine. No exaggeration I think there were 6 people in the audience -- 3 couples.

He came out, and said not to worry about the people who didn't show up -- that we were awesome for showing up, and he went on to do a great show.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Legendary Hal Holbrook passed away on Jan 23rd.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Legendary Hal Holbrook passed away on Jan 23rd.

He was a great actor that was in some classic films. I'm surprised we didn't hear about his death earlier. He was 95. He has only one autograph card that I am aware of in the Outer Limits, #A6. There may be other base cards in that set.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Y'all are getting sloppy, posting deaths without posting a card. There's another thread for that .

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Given the number of credits that Christopher Plummer has, it's surprising how few cards he's on. The oldest actor to ever receive an Oscar has passed away at age 91.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Christopher Plummer appears to have died as a result of a fall. What a shame to live to 91 only to have an accident. He had a great career, but was really a stage actor at heart. He actually hated The Sound of Music. Big Grin RIP Mr. Plummer.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another Plummer card, from the 1986-1987 Playbill set