Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
I believe Bill is giving a subtle hint that reference to Alan Harris is in the wrong thread as this thread is intended for those recently deceased who have a trading card.

Only a little. The initial post, "Alan Harris has passed", had so little context that I truly was curious who he was. Now I know.

quote:
I have put a comment in the right thread just to appease Bill.

Actually, I wasn't appeased until chesspieceface posted a card that Harris had appeared on.

Then chesspieceface moved beyond appeasement into the land of admiration by:
1. finding more cards of Terry Jones (the Holy Grail set had fewer than I expected), and pointing out that he (Jones) had written Labyrinth (a fact with which I had not previously been familiar, and I am familiar with a number of facts);
2. finding cards of Neil Innes, which I had not done;
3. and finding cards of Buck Henry, which I also had not done (I looked at each card in the Starpics SNL set and gave up after that, forgetting entirely about the Man Who Fell to Earth set).

So kudos to chesspieceface (can I call you cpf?).

Wuher (you aren't related to Kari, are you?) -- a long time ago, when famous people died, someone would post on Card Talk "[famous person] has died". I noticed that often, these famous people would have a card or two, and would post images of those cards, this forum being more of a card forum than a famous persons forum, in an attempt to make a "[famous person] has died" post relevant to the actual point of the forum. I did this a few times, then I started a dedicated thread for this purpose, with the thought that if someone who had a nonsport card died, it could be mentioned in that thread with a link or image of the relevant card.

But after a while, it turned into a "[famous person] has died" thread, irrespective of whether or not that person had any connection to any non-sport trading cards, and without any links or images of any non-sport cards that may picture said deceased famous person (this forum is somewhat like People Magazine in that many celebrities are discussed here). So I started up another thread, explicitly stating that if someone who had non-sport cards had died, this would be a good place to post those cards in memorial to them. That way, if all someone wanted to do was be the first to mention "[famous person] has died", they could do it in the Obituaries thread, and if they wanted to post cards of newly dead [famous person] (as would be appropriate for a non-sports card forum), they could do it in this one, the Non-Sports Obituaries thread.

So if I find out that a person who had cards has died* and I can find an online image of a card of theirs, I'll post in this thread that [famous person] has joined the choir invisible, some mention of who they are, and imbed an image of one or more of their cards.

But people are gonna do what they are gonna do, and sometimes a "[famous person} has reached room temperature" post shows up in this thread, without any mention of trading cards or connections to trading cards or even who [famous person] was. And typically I or someone else will try and find a card of them and post an image here.

That's what the context of the responses to your post is.

*for example, actress Natlie Trundy, who appeared in 4 Planet of the Apes films, died in December.

and Tom Lyle, former Spiderman artist, died at age 66 in November.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chesspiece. I couldn't find a card so I noted it in the other thread. That first card could have been shown for Bernie Casey too when he passed away in 2017.

"Heaven Can Wait" is a great movie, well-written and well-acted. I hear that one clarinet piece over and over in my head.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Same was true with cards of Buck Henry, the comic genius who passed away on January 8th, 2020. These are from the "Man Who Fell To Earth" card set. Buck wrote the screenplay to the classic movie "The Graduate", co-created "Get Smart" with Mel Brooks, and hosted multiple episodes of Saturday Night Live during the show's early formative years.

Funny and talented men, all three. May they rest in peace.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

natalie_1_51608c739d63ac259c28c893d24d2312.jpg[/IMG]

I didn't know that, i have her autograph card somewhere. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bill

Many thanks for the comments.

I seem to remember that Inkworks "TV's Coolest Classics" contains some Get Smart images amongst which is Promo P2.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hollywood legend Kirk Douglas has died at age 103. I can't think of any other living actor who has been as big a star for so long (Out of the Past was 1947). He was great in dozens of great movies.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dyann Thorne, who starred in the exploitation movie Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS (what a title!), has passed away, at age (probably) 77.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the followups:

"Ilsa, The Tigress of Siberia" & "Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks"

She was also "Wanda, the Wicked Warden"

Camp classics, all of them.

Rest in peace, Dyanne

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Frown Frown Frown

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And Robert Conrad, star of Wild Wild West and Baa Baa Black Sheep (two shows that start with a repeating word) has passed away at age 84.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Watching The Wild Wild West was a highlight of Friday night for my father, my brother and I back in the day. R.I.P. Mister Conrad.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It was "Baa Baa Black Sheep" AKA "Black Sheep Squadron" I watched him on with my Grampa, who said he knew the character Conrad played on the show (Pappy Boyington, if my childhood memory remains intact).

He was an old-time man's man. I remember him taking drags from a cigarette between his events on "Battle of the Network Stars".

Rest in peace, Bob.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Kevin Conway has passed away, age 77, on Feb. 5.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, "Baa Baa Black Sheep" was one of my favorite shows. I think the show was based on Greg "Pappy" Boyington's memoir which was still a decent seller in the mid-late 80's when I was working in a bookstore.

Most of the actors and actresses were on "Battle of the Network Stars" to promote their shows but you might remember Conrad was there to win.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
It was "Baa Baa Black Sheep" AKA "Black Sheep Squadron" I watched him on with my Grampa, who said he knew the character Conrad played on the show (Pappy Boyington, if my childhood memory remains intact).

He was an old-time man's man. I remember him taking drags from a cigarette between his events on "Battle of the Network Stars".

Rest in peace, Bob.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Most of the actors and actresses were on "Battle of the Network Stars" to promote their shows but you might remember Conrad was there to win.

I preferred Network Battle of the T's and A's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0f1Ywnjq0A

with "the biggest T's and the nicest A's".

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Savagely funny satire there.
A big chunk of SNL's original writing team came from National Lampoon magazine, so the humor was similar. I maintain a complete collection of NatLamp.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking over the Oscars "In Memoriam" reel --

Freddie Jones, British Actor (9/12/1927–7/9/2019)

Ronald "Timy Ron" Taylor (11/21/1947–11/28/2019). He played two different characters in the Star Trek universe.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It was announced today that Pearl Carr a British Entertainer from 1950's and 1960's has died. She was 98 her husband Teddy Johnson died a few years ago also aged 98. The older British card collectors might have heard of at least two card manufacturers that issued cards featuring her and Teddy. These two manufacturers were Madison Confectionery Products Ltd and Kane Products Ltd. The Kane Card is from Disc Stars (Large and Medium Sizes) issued in 1959 and 1960. The Madison card is from Recording Stars issued circa 1960. All sets were of 50 cards.

The pair represented GB in the 1959 Euro Vision Song Contest finishing 2nd.

[IMG:left]

[IMG:left][url=https://postimg.cc/Q9vqL77W]

[IMG:left][url=https://postimg.cc/R6WTbdWB]
[/IMG]

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
It was announced today that Pearl Carr a British Entertainer from 1950's and 1960's has died. She was 98

represented GB in the 1959 Euro Vision Song Contest finishing 2nd.

regards

John

We used to be disappointed when we finished 2nd now that's just a dream. Roll Eyes

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kellye Nakahara, who played Nurse Kellye in 167 episodes of M*A*S*H, has died of cancer.